Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Broken Tella Terra... Again

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 12:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I loved my YT's in my LS6. No issues at all and they saw 7200-7400rpm constantly and spring pressure over 400lbs. I have noticed more failures with the LS3/7 rocker arms, I dont know why. I played it safe with my LS3 and stuck with the stockers. I have a box of the Comp Cams trunion upgrade sitting in my car, just been lazy do put them in.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every brand/make of Rocker has failed at some point in time. I havent heard of one that has been "indestructable". Its all about the customer service, if the manufacturer will stand behind their products 100% and correct their defects thats what matters I think.

Racing is Racing. things are going to break..........
Old 09-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C5natie
I loved my YT's in my LS6. No issues at all and they saw 7200-7400rpm constantly and spring pressure over 400lbs. I have noticed more failures with the LS3/7 rocker arms, I dont know why. I played it safe with my LS3 and stuck with the stockers. I have a box of the Comp Cams trunion upgrade sitting in my car, just been lazy do put them in.
From my communication with YT, the cause for breakage is the combination of high open spring pressure combined with valve float. That can result in momentary very high load on the rocker.

In my case, I hit the fuel cut off and held it there too long. The fuel cut off in the stock tune has fuel cut off at 6600 rpm then it resumes when it drops 225 rpm. That resulted in very rapid up/down rpm and valve float.

Conclusion: Don't hit and hold it at fuel cut off. Shift well below the fuel cut off, too.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mez
From my communication with YT, the cause for breakage is the combination of high open spring pressure combined with valve float. That can result in momentary very high load on the rocker.

In my case, I hit the fuel cut off and held it there too long. The fuel cut off in the stock tune has fuel cut off at 6600 rpm then it resumes when it drops 225 rpm. That resulted in very rapid up/down rpm and valve float.

Conclusion: Don't hit and hold it at fuel cut off. Shift well below the fuel cut off, too.
So in conclusion YT is telling you that the owners/installers are at fault for all the failures not YT? yeahhh.....

Mine broke while I was freaking putting down the road in my neighborhood pulling up to my driveway. LOADS of high rpm and valve float going on.

Last edited by My6speedZ; 09-16-2012 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 03:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mez

And you believed them? In all my years of racing I have never had to baby a set of rockers. Why would they manufacture a rocker that cannot take decent open spring pressure? When guys put cams in their cars they run a decent spring to control the valvetrain, in turn the rocker has to withstand more spring pressure. So why even buy a Yella Terra at all? To put on a stock motor? I think not.

There are guys just riding around breaking these things. That really tells me there is a manufacture defect, not the bullshit YT told you.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man i scared to run mine.... have them sitting in the garage waiting to be put on
Old 09-16-2012, 02:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My6speedZ
I had one let go in the exact same spot under normal driving conditions. Doug sent me a replacement for free and I haven't had any issue since. Fingers crossed.

If I ever have another breakage I will be switching mine out for something different. I thought anodized rockers were always inherently weaker because of the anodization process.

How would you guys rank the Scorpions against the Comp golds? I hear Scorpions have come along way, but I have never really heard anything good or bad about the Comp ones.
I have been running the scorpions for two years now and about 10k miles. I shift around 6800 and haven't had an issue yet. The lifetime warranty is killer too.

The only thing I have been considering is valve-train stability and have contemplated going to comp trunion. This is no fault of the scorpions. I installed them and haven't removed the covers since.
Old 09-16-2012, 05:57 PM
Mez
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
And you believed them? In all my years of racing I have never had to baby a set of rockers. Why would they manufacture a rocker that cannot take decent open spring pressure? When guys put cams in their cars they run a decent spring to control the valvetrain, in turn the rocker has to withstand more spring pressure. So why even buy a Yella Terra at all? To put on a stock motor? I think not.

There are guys just riding around breaking these things. That really tells me there is a manufacture defect, not the bullshit YT told you.
Well, it could be true. However, 425 lbs open pressure doesn't seem that high to me. In any case, they shouldn't break as often as they should. YT seem to break a lot more often than other brands. I've seen them break at the trunion and others break near the pushrod cup so its not consistent.

Don't forget, they are priced at the lower end of the scale. Jesel and T&D are around $1100 - $1200. But that is no excuse for them breaking as often as people report it.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah, I just had a push-rod cup failure on one of my YT rockers, I'm not sure why the push-rod wore almost 1/8" into cup. All the other push-rod cups are fine, I initially thought I had a sticking lifter, it sucks because this is the 2nd set of YT rockers I've had problems with!

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-17-2012 at 12:56 PM. Reason: my spelling sucks!
Old 09-17-2012, 01:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mez

Valve float will kill any rocker, even Jessel shaft mounts.

Quick Reply: Broken Tella Terra... Again