Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

HELP, 418 has to much crankcase pressure, blowing out everywher!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

There is nothing to address, you are simply delusional to the fact that a tight ring package WILL create excess crank pressure the necessitates a large PCV or breather setup on a large stroke ls3.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I refuse to accept that this is a problem inherent in these engines, esp when I have seen quite a few without this problem.

It should not be accepted nor should it be seen as the norm.

If this instance of spitting the dipstick tube out were on an SBC it would be laughed at and considered a wrong build, but on an LS engine its "nothing to be addressed"? Even with 5 breathers and water hose all over the intake, that should not be seen as acceptable for a street driven car.

On this part we can disagree, that way the argument is ended with both of us being right in our own minds.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:15 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gectek
I refuse to accept that this is a problem inherent in these engines, esp when I have seen quite a few without this problem.

It should not be accepted nor should it be seen as the norm.

If this instance of spitting the dipstick tube out were on an SBC it would be laughed at and considered a wrong build, but on an LS engine its "nothing to be addressed"? Even with 5 breathers and water hose all over the intake, that should not be seen as acceptable for a street driven car.

On this part we can disagree, that way the argument is ended with both of us being right in our own minds.
Whether you want it to be correct or not, breathers ARE the solution to his problem. Now go away.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^ sorry I will not bow down to you because your post count is higher. Ill stop arguing with you though because it is detracting from the thread now. And because you have no valid argument over what I say.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DietCoke
There is nothing to address, you are simply delusional to the fact that a tight ring package WILL create excess crank pressure the necessitates a large PCV or breather setup on a large stroke ls3.
A few finishing remarks.

BTW nice ninja edit. I totally missed that you added the entire part after There is nothing to address. I should have quoted you first.

Tight ring pack.....hmmm....whatever you say. I never said it would not make more pressure, I am saying the pressure that you quantify as normal is not normal.

What is the diff between your LS3 427 and the LS3 427 that I am currently working on? The main diff is, yours has some blowby or "excess pressure" issues that necessitate the need for breathers, and this one works with a standard 3/8 size PCV line. One from the valley to the intake and one from the pass cover to the TB. No catch can.

Please tell me what you mean by "tight ring pack" also. I am interested in this.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:39 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have breathers on my 383 and its pushed oil out them since it was built idk either!
Old 04-08-2012, 11:55 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,495 Likes on 2,154 Posts

Ding Ding.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Op just try the breathers first and please let us know how it turns out.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

82cetuner,
I would be curious as to what the short-block builder has to say about this. All too often it seems they pass the buck and put the blame somewhere else. IE.: Wrong oil, bad break-in, broken PCV, etc.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gectek
A few finishing remarks.

BTW nice ninja edit. I totally missed that you added the entire part after There is nothing to address. I should have quoted you first.

Tight ring pack.....hmmm....whatever you say. I never said it would not make more pressure, I am saying the pressure that you quantify as normal is not normal.

What is the diff between your LS3 427 and the LS3 427 that I am currently working on? The main diff is, yours has some blowby or "excess pressure" issues that necessitate the need for breathers, and this one works with a standard 3/8 size PCV line. One from the valley to the intake and one from the pass cover to the TB. No catch can.

Please tell me what you mean by "tight ring pack" also. I am interested in this.

The catch can off the valley cover restricts pcv,
The catch can off the valley cover restricts pcv
The catch can off the valley cover restricts pcv, did you not see me say that more then once already in this thread? My engine doesnt push any oil without a catch can, it does WITH a catch can. That is why I have to use breathers. Pay attention.

Also, there was no ninja edit, else it would have said post edited. WTG.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

You can see all 3 3/8" breathers here. Additionally, a vented catch with a one way valve may assist with ventilation even farther.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

holy snap i just relized something the catchcan routing I have is OPPOSITE of yours in that picture the top tube on my catch can runs to the intake and the bottom tube runs to the vally cover, so is mine wrong?.

P.S. my breather sits at a angle, could it be possible its just mist hitting it then collecting and pooling then leaking out?.

on a side note though I think I am losing a descent amount of oil more than i would think normal. i belive quit a bit is comming out of the breather its not forcibly comming out or anything but just leaking down the breather
Old 04-08-2012, 08:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
holy snap i just relized something the catchcan routing I have is OPPOSITE of yours in that picture the top tube on my catch can runs to the intake and the bottom tube runs to the vally cover, so is mine wrong?.

P.S. my breather sits at a angle, could it be possible its just mist hitting it then collecting and pooling then leaking out?.

on a side note though I think I am losing a descent amount of oil more than i would think normal. i belive quit a bit is comming out of the breather its not forcibly comming out or anything but just leaking down the breather
If your routing is opposite mine, then you would definitely be doing it wrong . Swap the lines, that will help. The better (more) breathers you have, the less pressure each one sees individually, and the less likely you are to push oil. None of mine do.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DietCoke
The catch can off the valley cover restricts pcv,
The catch can off the valley cover restricts pcv, did you not see me say that more then once already in this thread? My engine doesnt push any oil without a catch can, it does WITH a catch can. That is why I have to use breathers. Pay attention.

Also, there was no ninja edit, else it would have said post edited. WTG.
The orifice inside the valley cover restricts the pcv system if you want to call it like that. Its a metered orifice since GM no longer uses a valve for it. I am not sure what kind of restriction you think a catch can does, but ok.

Why dont you take the catch can off and run it normal instead of running a catch can and 3 breathers? Doesnt make much sense.

And I know what you put at the beginning of that post. It ended after the there is nothing to address. Now you go back and edit the rest of your posts. You only know the argument after the other side has given their rebuttal then you change it just a tad.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

86 the breathers. They will cause you nothing but problems in your situation. If you are pushing oil out of them now, I have a feeling it will just get worse.

FYI if you are not careful you can pull unmetered air into your engine through the breathers too. This was brought up in another thread.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM
10 Second Club

well wouldnt the air comming threw the catchcan also be unmetered and it goes directly into the intake, and its like that from factory.

I dont understand your statment how can air from the valve covers ever make it into the combustion chamber even if they are sucking air?? it would have to connect to the intake somehow like the catchcan does
Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
well wouldnt the air comming threw the catchcan also be unmetered and it goes directly into the intake, and its like that from factory.

I dont understand your statment how can air from the valve covers ever make it into the combustion chamber even if they are sucking air?? it would have to connect to the intake somehow like the catchcan does
The short answer to that question is it doesn't, even though there is a LONG roundabout path to get to the CC by valve cover ----> lower end ---> valley ---> valley cover pcv ----> catch can ---> intake.

Catch can air is metered in a stock setup because the factory pcv draws air from behind the MAF, so the air has already been read and can be recycled indefinitely.

However due to pressure differentials inside the engine, the amount of air that does get in isn't measurable and does not effect AFR. Breathers (venting in general) are a good thing, gectek is mistaken.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

Case in point, put a vacuum gauge on your intake manifold. Now take your oil fill cap off. Notice the vacuum doesn't change. Same concept applies to breathers, the air never makes it to the intake or combustion chamber, they simply allow excess pressure or vacuum in the lower end to bleed off.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

im ganna swap the catchcan around and see if it still leakes if it does I will add a breather to the driver side valve tubing. my goal is to stop losing oil I dont really care how I do it as long as the compression test and leakdown test are ok.

Here is to hoping I dont have to do a rebuild!!!!!!!!
Old 04-08-2012, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The higher flowing air inside your intake system actually creates a low pressure system that the higher pressure inside the engine is drawn to. The air does not push its way into your engine via the PCV system. That is how the PCV system draws excess crank pressure and oil vapors from your crankcase and into the intake stream for it to be reburned and relieved. Any air that is taken in by the PCV system is not accounted for in the standard VE calculations, that is why they have orifices on the valve covers and for the valley cover. So they can slow down the amount of transfer. This is how a downdraft or exhaust tube works also. The higher the pressure is, the faster it works.

You are mistaken on how a pcv system works in the first place. If you are running your engine at idle with the one pcv hose running from your pass valve cover to your TB and you take the cap off, you should notice some odd things. That is unless when the car was tuned you already had breathers on it. Then the airflow readings will be skewed in the wrong direction to try to take into account that unaccounted for air.

Let a newer dodge run then take the oil cap off it and see what happens.

You know how I know that? Because I did it.

Do not worry yourself Diet Coke, I will def test this whole theory out this coming week.

What I dont understand is that if your engine was running so good without a catch can, then why would you spend the extra money and cobble up your engine bay with a catch can then 3 breathers. Maybe there is something else you just arent saying.

Quick Reply: HELP, 418 has to much crankcase pressure, blowing out everywher!!!!