Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

N/A LSX whats it take to get 900-1000 hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL! I'am on LS1TECH and everyone is saying BBC BBC BBC. WTF? I'am shocked to say the least! All the drag racing around here and every where is that BBC. I want to be different and not old school so I decided long ago that it would be a LSX 427 TWIN 88'S and thats what I'am sticking with. Yes I understand that the BBC route would be cheaper but not as light or as boring. I realize the cost but come on guys this is not BBCTECH.COM Its ls1tech. One of my best friends has been racing for 25 years and he is bbc to his death he would be getting a kick out of everyone saying bbc if he seen this.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:49 PM

Your making sense but I guess I dont have to run it in the pro mod class. So to get a 2200lb car into the 6's should take around 1400 hp.So lets say I ran it in the super pro class, would that be that hard to make a lsx engine with twins make that hp and still live for a while?
Old 07-27-2012, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you guys ever see the article where GM high tech made 1200hp out of a bone stock 4.8 liter? the goal was to put as much boost as they could till it blew to see what it would handle. they never blew it, and they ended up dping 60 dyno pulls at 26psi (maxing out the turbo) to try to get to blow and it never did. These engines are capable if alot more than you think they are and can be reliable, he also does not need 9000rpms to make 1000hp, and plenty lf lsx blocks see 2500hp boosted. its not that a lsx motor cannot be built to handle that kind of power, but I do agree with what alot everyone says. a LSx cant really get to far past 500 cubes unless you use a superdeck kit. so it would be like running a v6 or 4 banger in a class full of V8s, everyone is ganna start out with a bigger motor than you. A engine is just a big air pump the more air you move threw it the more power it makes, so you are handicapped from the beginning. If you are just building a fun car and not looking to win money or things like that then build what you want the car to be and have fun. but if you want to win then there is a reason everyone in the class uses the same style motors.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

1400hp from the LS platform is no problem and can be very reliable. It is not as simple as working with the BBC or the Pro Mod hemi engines, but 1400hp is very realistic. Do what you like and have fun doing it! Some will say smart people would not race at all, but I like it.

Kurt
Old 07-28-2012, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Check out Nelson Race Engines. They build high end TT LSX stuff that put down 1500 to 2500 hp, depending on the fuel you want to run. They have built many nitromethane LSX engines. Gonna cost you $30k plus!
LOL where did you see a LSx on Nitro? You must know of a different NRE necause the NRE I know of has never done any nitro engines. You dont need nitro to make 2500hp. And its definitely something you would never want to run in a street car.

Anyway, Hutter Racing has the fastest N/A LSx in the world and its definitely making over 1000hp. Give them a call:

http://www.hutterperformance.com/

Also, check this thread out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamomet...c-inch-na.html

1000hp N/A LSx is definitely possible however it aint real cheap. And will take a helluva tuner.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:13 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Check out Nelson Race Engines. They build high end TT LSX stuff that put down 1500 to 2500 hp, depending on the fuel you want to run. They have built many nitromethane LSX engines. Gonna cost you $30k plus!
Tom Nelson quoted me $55,000 out the door for the 454ci TT (2,300 HP version) installed in my 1998 Trans Am...retaining A/C. Mini tub rear end and a 4L80E.

Very good price for what you get....which is the best TT set up anyone can possibly build. NRE is the BEST............when it comes to turbos.

And thats on race gas, not nitro. NRE doesn't do nitro stuff. Pump gas and race gas. That 454 TT uses his 16 injector intake. 8 injectors spraying pump gas for casual driving out of boost, then the other 8 injectors kick in and spray race gas from a stand alone tank when boost rises above 3psi. Very cool.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PROMODLSX
LOL! I'am on LS1TECH and everyone is saying BBC BBC BBC. WTF? I'am shocked to say the least! All the drag racing around here and every where is that BBC. I want to be different and not old school so I decided long ago that it would be a LSX 427 TWIN 88'S and thats what I'am sticking with. Yes I understand that the BBC route would be cheaper but not as light or as boring. I realize the cost but come on guys this is not BBCTECH.COM Its ls1tech. One of my best friends has been racing for 25 years and he is bbc to his death he would be getting a kick out of everyone saying bbc if he seen this.
You're right....but its gonna suck to spend $40,000 on what you want out of a TT LSx set-up to run with the big boys.......than to just have it blow up after as few runs or need a rebuild...When the guy next to you is beating you with a N/A BBC that costs $20,000.

Just sayin.......

Old 07-29-2012, 07:56 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,507 Likes on 2,162 Posts

Originally Posted by LS6427
Tom Nelson quoted me $55,000 out the door for the 454ci TT (2,300 HP version) installed in my 1998 Trans Am...retaining A/C. Mini tub rear end and a 4L80E.

Very good price for what you get....which is the best TT set up anyone can possibly build. NRE is the BEST............when it comes to turbos.

And thats on race gas, not nitro. NRE doesn't do nitro stuff. Pump gas and race gas. That 454 TT uses his 16 injector intake. 8 injectors spraying pump gas for casual driving out of boost, then the other 8 injectors kick in and spray race gas from a stand alone tank when boost rises above 3psi. Very cool.

Sorry guys! Been 18 months since I talked to them, and I got my fuels mixed up. Mis-info on my part. My bad. But yes, very cool stuff! They have been in the turbo business a long time.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:40 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM LSX Iron block 4.125 bore
Diamond 10.5:1 pistons
Callies or Bryant crank 4.0 stroke
GRP aluminum rods
RFD Edelbrock "cannonball" heads
Custom cam from me@tick
Twin GT5518's or the new pro mod 88's from Garrett or Bullseye power

Keep the lenco 3 speed

Stay away from places like Shafiroff I have heard HORROR stories from them.

But a 525 BBC with twin GT4788's(smaller than the GT5518's I mentioned above) has gone 4.50's@168mph with low 1.20 60' and it spools instantly and the control over the boost is amazing!
Old 07-30-2012, 09:48 PM
Staging Lane

all i see is money money money lol but i x10 on the big block twin 88 idea best bang for your buck
Old 08-02-2012, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PROMODLSX
I got the rest of the summer,fall,winter,spring I guess to just go the turbo route and be done with it. I'am looking for track numbers in the mid to high 6's the car had a big block hemi in it and thats right where it ran before. We had fig the race weight to be around 2250lbs with driver. Thats alum race block with twin 88 turbos and of course all the pluming and cooler. It was around 2500lbs with the big block and blower.
Pm sent.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you don't want to hear it, but I bought a roller car as well that was set up for a BBC. I put a SBC in it because I had it on hand. If I had know how much a pain it would be to get it to work I would have probably just built the BBC instead. Everything from having to fab new headers, new motor plates, and other items that just ate away at my time. Really it is best to set those cars up with what came in them. You'll also have to build spacers for the motor plate if you are running anything but at BBC.

Either way it is a cool car that looks pretty clean. Looks like a lot of quality parts from what I can see. Those Weld Racing double beadlock rears are freaking expensive. The Lenco is too.

Quick Reply: N/A LSX whats it take to get 900-1000 hp