Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Texas speed 5.3 Dod delete Kit! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Clare-Branden Jones
Busta9876, did you ever get any word back on this?

I posted a month or so ago about a 06 5.3 trailblazer I was working on. Had failed #7 Lifter. It wasnt my decision, but we only changed out the 2 lifters on that cyl. I explained that was either an isolated bad lifter or a design flaw and could see it again on other lifters. 3k miles later its back with #6 lifter failure.

So at this point, I am recomending DOD/AFM delete. All new non DOD/AFM lifters, cam, and even oil pump. I had read from GM that a different oil pump was used on DOD/AFM engines. I am thinking that this is the cause for the failure. Loss of oil pressure not pumping the lifters back up.

I own a 2006 Impala SS, with the same AFM/DOD 5.3 I only have 80k miles and have yet to see it drop a lifter but have had the oil consumption issue. The undated oil pan gasket was changed, this had a tab to some how help, "eventhough I dont understand how". But it has not helped. This car has recently started to have erratic 4 to 8 while cruising at highway speeds. From What I have read this is also a known issue with these engines cracking plugs, Causing pressure loss in cyl and tripping solenoid?

This is such a bad design from GM... I am at a loss. Sorry to Hijack thread..
I quit working at the machine shop I was at before I heard back from Bullet. I'll see if I can dig up some info from them. Since then I have been involved with 3 more AFM deletes on 07+ Trucks. One was for oil consumption. The guy had plug fouling problems as well, ONLY on AFM cylinders. After just disabling the system in the programming, no more oil consumption problem. (still stock AFM cam and lifters)

Another truck came to me from a GM dealership, a trade in vehicle they took upon them selves to replace all the lifters with standard non AFM lifters. The tech thought he could just put a 4.8 program in it and ended up with the misfire codes for the 4 AFM cylinders. After talking to them I suggested they replaced the cam as well. They installed a 2005 LM7 3 bolt cam, and a 3 bolt 4x cam gear, truck runs perfect now after disabling AFM in the ECM.

Another vehicle I worked on, 69 camaro with a 2008 LC9 5.3L. The customer had installed a aftermarket camshaft but did not replace lifters. (non AFM cam with AFM lifters) This had the opposite effect on compression then a prior vehicle that had just lifters replaced. AFM cylinders had about 15 lbs HIGH cranking compression then NON AFM cylinders.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Texas Speed you have had a year to step back and think about how a cam works. Have you figured it out yet?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:45 PM

The reason some of these require cam swaps and some do not is because of VVT, Variable Valve Timing. If the vehicle is equiped with VVT and AFM/DOD then the cam must be swapped to a LS non VVT cam.

Where can I get a tune once all hardware is swapped out? Is there anything besideds HP tuner, that isnt as expensive if I wanted to do it myself?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

Wrong... Mine did not have vvt.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brandenbmx
The reason some of these require cam swaps and some do not is because of VVT, Variable Valve Timing. If the vehicle is equiped with VVT and AFM/DOD then the cam must be swapped to a LS non VVT cam.

Where can I get a tune once all hardware is swapped out? Is there anything besideds HP tuner, that isnt as expensive if I wanted to do it myself?
VVT has nothing to do with it. All 4 vehicles I have been involved with have not had VVT.

There was a 2010 L99 6.2L I was involved with that I built a harness for and programmed that was swapped into a offroad jeep. Initially we had planned to keep the VVT and AFM on in. It was a 8000 mile take out from an automatic 2010 Camaro. First test drive #7 cylinder dropped out. Misfire all the time. Pulled rocker cover and the pushrod was loose. Lifter failed. The guy we bought the motor from was good enough to honer his warranty on this engine, he next day aired 16 new lifters, guides, and LS3 valley plate. Keep in mind this was two years ago, long before I was involved with the 5.3L truck issues. Well after it was all back together, it ran great. It come back a few weeks later with flashing check engine light when at idle. There was no noticeable engine performance problem. The customer just wanted the light out, so I disabled misfire monitoring and it went on its way. (this is off road vehicle, no cats, no issue with slight misfire at idle) At the time, had no idea, what was going on....after dealing with the 5.3's I remembered issues with the 6.2L. Long story short.

If its AFM, VVT or NOT, the lobes will be different for AFM lifters.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM

So will the 2006 trailblazer Ext I am working on need a cam swap? I spoke with someone @ SDPC today and parts guy at local Chevy dealership, they both told me that I only need to change cam if VVT.

CONFUSED...

Who can tune this to turn it off in the PCM? I may look into getting the software to do myself as I also want to tune it out of my Impala SS.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So will the 2006 trailblazer Ext I am working on need a cam swap? I spoke with someone @ SDPC today and parts guy at local Chevy dealership, they both told me that I only need to change cam if VVT.

CONFUSED...

Who can tune this to turn it off in the PCM? I may look into getting the software to do myself as I also want to tune it out of my Impala SS.
which engine is in it? 8th digit of the vin. I'm not familiar with those vehicles. Guessing you have the LH6 5.3L with AFM, according to google. Seeing that all these use the same AFM lifters, I would imagine the camshaft has same changes as any other AFM engines. Hptuners, EFI Live should be able to do it.

Last edited by busta9876; 08-05-2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by busta9876
which engine is in it? 8th digit of the vin. I'm not familiar with those vehicles. Guessing you have the LH6 5.3L with AFM, according to google. Seeing that all these use the same AFM lifters, I would imagine the camshaft has same changes as any other AFM engines. Hptuners, EFI Live should be able to do it.
trailblazer 8th vin is M, Impala SS is C.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 AM

anymore info?????
Old 08-07-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

anymore info?????
Yes you do have LH6. As mentioned above, I would imagine the camshaft has same changes as any other AFM engines. There for I would see no reason your vehicle would be any exception. I would believe a cam change would be required as well.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

I helped a friend do a swap of an '05 LH6 into a '51 Ford pickup and we ran into same problems discussed here. *busta9876* might remember it since my friend drove it down to West Plains to see if he could help diagnose the misfire at idle. It had the same low compression on the AFM cylinders and normal on the other four that's been described here. We had already changed out the lifters, valley cover, oil pump, etc. and were about to go nuts. I found a low mileage L33 cam in the For Sale section, and as soon as it was installed, everything was like a normal engine again. Compression on all 8 cylinders was at 175-180, and no idle misfires. I would definately change the cam.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:25 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

CONFUSED...

If you delete DOD you have to change the cam. If you just turn it off in the tune, you do not have to change the cam.

I'm not sure who you talked to but I'm sorry about any miscommunication, as we should all be familiar with this issue. We even include this disclaimer on our website for all AFM delete kits:
*Note: This kit is intended for use with a non-DOD/AFM camshaft (aftermarket or factory). This kit does not include the camshaft. Use of a factory DOD/AFM camshaft with this kit will result in engine misfires. Also,computer tuning IS required to complete this modification. You must have DOD/AFM disabled in the PCM to not produce engine DTCs.

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 08-15-2013, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I've read here(tech) that GM source these lfters fro at least 2 vendors. one brand has issues, the other doesn't. Sorry I don't recall the brands, but try a search. You could also call TSP and Livernous ~~~> and talk to them. I am sure they would know.

I bought a 07 Monte SS new and loved the car. I got rid of it early on as I was affraid of the longevity of the DOD. 07 and later GMs have 5yr/100k valve train warranty. Since yours is out of warranty, I'd delete the DOD including the cam. Those Imps are really nice cars IMHO.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:09 AM

After checking into all the options DOD/ AFM Del and putting it back to stock with all new oem lifters.

I have decided to find a pre 05 5.3 and swap it. I am currently looking for a 5.3 with harness and ecm from a trailblazer.

Does anyone see any issues with this? This should eliminate any afm dod issues, tunes needed. Rule out needing a cam swap or oil pump issues.

Since nobody really knows what exactly is needed. Because one guy did the afm/ dod and used his stock cam and its fine, another says idle is not correct, oil pumps with same numbers but different releife springs etc..

Does'nt this just seem like a much better, easier solution?
Old 09-23-2013, 11:17 AM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

After checking into all the options DOD/ AFM Del and putting it back to stock with all new oem lifters.

I have decided to find a pre 05 5.3 and swap it. I am currently looking for a 5.3 with harness and ecm from a trailblazer.

Does anyone see any issues with this? This should eliminate any afm dod issues, tunes needed. Rule out needing a cam swap or oil pump issues.

Since nobody really knows what exactly is needed. Because one guy did the afm/ dod and used his stock cam and its fine, another says idle is not correct, oil pumps with same numbers but different releife springs etc..

Does'nt this just seem like a much better, easier solution?
It's easy, do the DOD delete kit and change the cam when you do it. It will work every time like that. Some people get away with not changing the cam, but if you plan on changing it you'll be GTG no matter what.

WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 09-23-2013, 01:27 PM

No DOD AFM Del kit... Too much, with lifters, cam, tune. It will be far more simple to do Gen V 5.3 swap.

Not to mention there still is no defative answer on the oil pump. GM engineers I have been on the phone with say the oil pump IS NOT THE SAME. Different releife springs, same part number?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sales2@Texas-speed
Step back and think about how the camshaft is ground, and how the lifters ride, and why/how the valves open. If you know how they grind the AFM cams, you know the lobes are still in the same location as a non-AFM camshaft, they just use different lobes (and sometimes different centerlines).

So do tell us all why the cam makes any difference. I found 2 local truck guys here that did the same DOD delete kit, are running the stock cam, and have no problems.

I started the thread looking for help, and then tried to let other people know that they should change the cam so they would not have this problem and hours of labor that is not needed. Wish you would have come on board with me back then. Hope those 2 local guys found a mechanic that was smart enough to tell them the engine wasn't running correctly.
Attached Thumbnails Texas speed 5.3 Dod delete Kit! HELP!-ts.jpg  
Old 08-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Default Help

Originally Posted by SA_swaps
Installed a stock non dod 5.3 camshaft, compression is equal on all cylinders and engine runs like it is suppose to. Called tsp to let them know for future reference, basically said I was wrong it didn't fix it I had to have changed something else.
Could you tell me the part# of the cam you used?? I've got an 07 5.3 I'm doing a delete on in progress.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:04 PM
Staging Lane

I had like a 03-05 5.3 Truck I was working on in the shop and just ordered a cam by that vin from the dealer.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:17 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Originally Posted by frustratedwth5.3
Could you tell me the part# of the cam you used?? I've got an 07 5.3 I'm doing a delete on in progress.
You need an 06 LM7 cam (or older, just pre 07). I'm not where I can look it up for you as a part number at the moment or I would.

Quick Reply: Texas speed 5.3 Dod delete Kit! HELP!