Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Texas speed 5.3 Dod delete Kit! HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sales3@Texas-Speed
That is incorrect. In 08 and 09 you could order certain L92s with AFM/DOD.

Lonnie
From 40 or 50 6.2L trucks I've programmed locally and for mail order swaps, I've never seen a L92 with AFM.

Vin 8 - 6.2L L92 standard fuel with vvt 2007-2008
Vin 2 - 6.2L L9H flex fuel with vvt 2009+
Vin F - 6.2L L94 flex fuel with vvt+afm 2010+

this info is based on my personal collection of stock calibrations.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 903 Posts

That is incorrect. In 08 and 09 you could order certain L92s with AFM/DOD.

Lonnie
You can't order an engine and specify certain features. GM Powertrain doesn't work like that.

The L92 was only offered in 2007 and 2008. It was an aluminum block engine with VVT only, no AFM.

Here is the information for 2007:

https://archives.media.gm.com/us/pow...New/07_L92.doc

Here is the information for 2008:

https://archives.media.gm.com/us/pow...uck/08_L92.doc

In 2009 the 6.2L aluminum truck engine was called the L9H, but it still only had VVT and not AFM. I believe the reason for the engine code change for 2009 was due to Flex-Fuel capabilities, which requires different rails and injectors and other parts...

https://archives.media.gm.com/us/pow...k/09_L9H_n.doc

In 2010 is when the L94 came out and that engine had both VVT and AFM, still being a 6.2L aluminum block truck engine.

When GM changes the engines internally, the engine code changes as well.

Just trying to be accurate so people have their facts straight.

Andrew
Old 12-09-2015, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by busta9876
From 40 or 50 6.2L trucks I've programmed locally and for mail order swaps, I've never seen a L92 with AFM.

Vin 8 - 6.2L L92 standard fuel with vvt 2007-2008
Vin 2 - 6.2L L9H flex fuel with vvt 2009+
Vin F - 6.2L L94 flex fuel with vvt+afm 2010+

this info is based on my personal collection of stock calibrations.
We were typing at the same time...LOL

That's called triangulation of information. Nicely done.

Andrew
Old 12-09-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
We were typing at the same time...LOL

That's called triangulation of information. Nicely done.

Andrew
Once again, Texas Speed is incorrect. I think they (or Lonnie) is just considering any aluminum truck 6.2L engine a L92 since it was the first one everybody knew. That's like the many people that loosely label any Gen 3 engine a LS1. You have no idea how many people tell me they have a 5.3L LS1 engine they are swapping into an old truck, airplane, swamp boat etc. Details do matter.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by busta9876
Once again, Texas Speed is incorrect. I think they (or Lonnie) is just considering any aluminum truck 6.2L engine a L92 since it was the first one everybody knew. That's like the many people that loosely label any Gen 3 engine a LS1. You have no idea how many people tell me they have a 5.3L LS1 engine they are swapping into an old truck, airplane, swamp boat etc. Details do matter.
Which is why we posted the correct information (mine even has official GM sources). Those details matter a lot, especially when swapping engines into other vehicles. I wanted a Gen IV aluminum 5.3L for my Cougar, and by far the best one is the LH8 (no VVT or AFM), so then I started looking.

Andrew
Old 12-09-2015, 04:46 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am going by the information I have in front of me as well as the Comp catalog with the engine code vs features lists. Both listed it the way that I stated. Now there is a chance both can be wrong. Maybe they got their information from the same source. But that is where I am getting mine. If I am wrong then I am wrong.

Lonnie
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 12-09-2015, 05:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am going by the information I have in front of me as well as the Comp catalog with the engine code vs features lists. Both listed it the way that I stated. Now there is a chance both can be wrong. Maybe they got their information from the same source. But that is where I am getting mine. If I am wrong then I am wrong.

Lonnie
Lonnie,

The links that I posted in post #62 are to GM official documents (off a GM website) that list the features of each engine code. That's about at accurate and reliable as you're going to find.

Andrew
Old 12-09-2015, 09:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=busta9876;19069318]
Originally Posted by dewchugr
Would you be able to tell me what would cause a DOD lifter to come apart like this and what I should be concerned about? Roller appears OK, haven't taken the cam out, but it doesn't have severe enough damage to see from outside. 06 Buick LH6.

Thanks!!

][/QUOTE

The only way I can think of the lifter coming apart in the vehicle, is if the hydraulic lifter portion has collapsed, usually seen in poorly maintained vehicles. This will allow inner portion of AFM lifter to over extend, and the pins will be ABOVE the groove they lock on. When you go to remove the lifter you finish pulling it apart.

Usually if the roller is okay, you can put a lifter back in the hole and go on (if not changing cam, must go back with proper AFM lifter) At this point, I usually recommend changing camshaft and go with all non AFM components, effectively mechanically deleting the AFM function. ECM programming still must be done to shut it off.
Thanks for the information. I'll be getting rid of all of the afm and swapping the cam anyway. It's going in a Cutlass.
Old 12-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of L92 engines had AFM so you would have to be 100% that particular cam came out of a vehicle that did not have DOD/AFM. Other than that, it should work.

Lonnie
Thanks for the reply Lonnie. This particular one IS a non-AFM L92. I pulled it out to install one of your VVT stage 2 cams. Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:49 PM
Teching In

FYI. I have an 07 L92 from Escalade. It has AFM and VVT.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:19 PM
Teching In

I'm looking for a stock replacement non dod camshaft for my 2007 5.3 with afm. I have all other components to do this swap but I'm having trouble figuring out evactly which cam I should use. Any help would be much appreciated
Old 09-28-2016, 06:39 PM
Teching In

I read this thread and I had a question. I have a 2006 envoy that has a 5.3. I removed the old engine that spun a bearing and installed a 2003 5.3 from a tahoe. Had my friend turn off the dod and knock sensors and it runs smooth and is on the road but it is lacking on power? There are no check engine lights and everything seems ok but it feels like a slug. any advice on this? Is it possible I need to get it tuned? I thought maybe it was the cam but I seen where others are running the same camshaft so I'm a little stumped on why so any info would be great. Thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 07:56 AM

I just purchased a 2010 LS L94 burning oil in #7. What all needs to be done to fix this problem?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2016, 07:57 AM

Sorry 6.2 L L94 Denali engine burning oil in #7. What all needs to be done to fix this problem?
Old 12-08-2016, 10:05 AM
Teching In

Default 07 5.3 AFM delete

hey all, so I know the last time anyone posted in here was a year ago, but I just did one of TSP's AFM delete kits. They give you the option of going with a different cam, and a 3 bolt cam gear conversion. I didn't do the 3 bolt conversion because I didn't realize I had a single center bolt, until I got into my engine, so I used my stock cam. When I started it up it would misfire in all AFM cylinders. So I ended up getting a 3 bolt sprocket and ARP cam bolts, once I put the new cam in ran like a champ, but know I am having an issue with my cam sensor not reading. Replaced it nothing, changed the cam sensor harness again nothing, now I have to check my clearance from sensor to sprocket and may have the wrong cam gear on it. Not sure if anyone has ran into this issue but it's driving me crazy. My advice, get the cam and the 3 bolt conversion.
Old 03-02-2017, 05:49 PM

I'm aware this is an old thread but Busta could you please email or message me. I am in the process of doing a delete and could use some help. Would really appre it carlin0760@gmail.com
Old 03-03-2017, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Let's be accurate here. The L92 never had AFM, just VVT.

Andrew
I know I'm late, but...

Let's be accurate here: you're wrong. Your links are half truths. Lonnie is partially correct. The L92 (yes, the L92) did in fact come with AFM. The 2007 L92 had a first and second design, both with the same engine RPO. First design had AFM, second design did not.
Attached Thumbnails Texas speed 5.3 Dod delete Kit! HELP!-2007_l92.jpg  
Old 03-05-2017, 07:57 PM
Teching In

and some had the afm components and didn't use it... lol
Old 03-28-2020, 05:22 PM

Default Cam IS your problem

The cam is definitely your issue. The original DOD cam duration keeps valves open longer resulting in reduced compression with standard lifters. Trust me, I’ve been down this path myself beating my head against a wall ready to torch the damn thing.

Replace the cam with non DOD. Problem solved...

QUOTE=Sales2@Texas-speed;16582391]Step back and think about how the camshaft is ground, and how the lifters ride, and why/how the valves open. If you know how they grind the AFM cams, you know the lobes are still in the same location as a non-AFM camshaft, they just use different lobes (and sometimes different centerlines).

So do tell us all why the cam makes any difference. I found 2 local truck guys here that did the same DOD delete kit, are running the stock cam, and have no problems.[/QUOTE]
Old 07-14-2020, 04:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default There is an easier way!

I figured my experience and findings on this subject may shed some light on what is actually required to delete DOD/AFM. Without the VLOM collapsing the AFM lifters, they perform flawlessly (the issue was that occasionally a collapsed DOD lifter would stay collased and never recover, rattling around and bouncing off the cam,causing noise and misfire /loss of comp. These pics people posted of destroyed DOD lifters were ones that had been collapsed and driven on for a duration.) I had a DOD lifter collapse 200 feet from my shop. I didnt buy anything, saved the lifter by gently tapping on the top of it with an old push rod until it popped back up. I then fabricated my own DOD delete kit (very simple procedure) and installed it, leaving my factory AFM lifters and cam in place. I maintain spec compression on all cylinders because the afm lifters are riding on the factory Afm cam just as they always have. Only difference is that they never collapse, ive been driving like this for around 30,000 miles with no issues, misfires, or compromise in power/compression. I never bought any kit. Never pulled the heads. I never even tuned it out of the ecu because the DOD delete renders the VLOM incapable of building oil pressure and collapsing lifters. Needless to say, i was back to work on my 240z by lunchtime. 👍 I hope this saves some of you from wasting precious time and money!

PS: i suspect the inconsistent feedback on the efficacy and necessity of a non-dod cam swap was only due to the fact that some people never replaced the lifters. One group here has installed this kit preemptively while others installed it upon experiencing a collapsed lifter. Basically, one group is replacing all the lifters after experiencing a lifter failure, and the other group justifies skipping this part of the job because they never had any issues to begin with.

Last edited by Bmxr123; 07-14-2020 at 05:33 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bmxr123:
5.3Caprice (07-14-2020), Jay Brown (02-19-2021)

Quick Reply: Texas speed 5.3 Dod delete Kit! HELP!