Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Sleeved Ls motor ?'s! (Hidden Cost)

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I built a gto with a erl super deck 454 that made 600+ rwhp and now a new Camaro with a erl dry sleeve 427. Both run stock water pump, stock radiators, and meiling oil pumps. No problems so far with either.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Teching In

Just over 2k miles into a dry sleeve'd ERL LS3 434ci...

1)COOLING: I run between 180 and under 200 in the summer heat, using O'reilly's universal premixed anti-freeze, Meziere elec. pump, and DeWitt's radiator. I just use the stock vapor tube for an LS3...nothing fancy there.

2)OILINGrecision Oil Pumps' Melling 10296 oil pump, here, with a DeWitt's modified GM oil cooler that runs thru their radiator. I see around 214 while cruising and around 224 after running it thru the gears at WOT, using 5w30 sig series amsoil.

3)Pistons: ERL spec'd out the rotating assembly, and it appears the pistons are Wiseco self units, looking over the documentation. They mentioned that they can mill the dome down some, to the static compression you wish to run, provided you know what your head gasket thickness and chamber volume are. I run ~12:1 ...I asked that they not mill the domes down for my build.

4)Vacuum: I'm not a fan of PCV systems, at all, on a performance build. At minimum, I would run a moroso catch can off the valve cover with a -10 or -12 hose. I ran that setup on the old 422ci that was in my car when I bought it, but it still had oil consumption issues/blow-by. The 434 sports a GZ Motorsports vacuum pump setup that I tweaked some to suit my preferences. I love it...GZ pump thread

As mentioned, you can run the stock water pump, radiator, etc... I just went overkill in some aspects, and I'm glad I did. Nothing wrong with an upgrade, but in some instances it's not absolutely necessary.

The big cube LS is a blast... the bottom end punch that carries all the way to the top end of the revs, the relatively simple/clean layout (compared to a stockish LS1 with a basic turbo or supercharger setup), and the stealthy appearance (big cubes in a small package). It's great. I'm glad I went this route and, as mentioned, I could never do a stock/small cube LS build after this.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

Dont know if I missed it or not but are you going wet or dry sleeve? You can do either with the LS2 block.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:25 PM
Teching In

Default Dont remember

Originally Posted by Bo White
Dont know if I missed it or not but are you going wet or dry sleeve? You can do either with the LS2 block.
I talked to the guys at ERL(really great guys) and im not sure if they told me dry for Ls2 or what. To be honest im just going to send in my ls2 as a core because ERL has sleeved blocks and shortblocks ready to go that are ls2s! The only time they truly wait for your block(UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED BY YOU) is when they want to do a superdeck 2 (I believe which is done with an ls1 block "IF MY MEMORY SERVES ME CORRECTLY") because they already have blocks on hand.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yep daily driven dry sleeve here. Got 35,000 miles on it so far.
Never any cooling issues, though I did have a lifter fail due to bad valvetrain setup by a sponsor on here.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ringram
Yep daily driven dry sleeve here. Got 35,000 miles on it so far.
Never any cooling issues, though I did have a lifter fail due to bad valvetrain setup by a sponsor on here.
Damn great info dude. Thanks, what vehicle do you have that motor in? I CANT WAIT!
Old 08-09-2012, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pewterthang
I have $4200 on hand at the moment! My car club will be putting in $100 a piece (14 guys) a month until the build is done! so i pretty much think im ok budget wise!
you are getting $1400 a month from your club until you are done?? ...then why would you ever wanna be done. for a free 1400/month id never be done with the build
Old 08-09-2012, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW: My LS2 Darton sleeved 427 doesn't use any oil and the intake stays clean as a whistle.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have $4200 on hand at the moment! My car club will be putting in $100 a piece (14 guys) a month until the build is done! so i pretty much think im ok budget wise!
Could you PM me these guy's phone numbers? I have a bridge and some beachfront Arizona property I don't need anymore.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My topend plan is tfs220's(ls2 style) with my Formato Ported fast intake setup! Will that be ok topend wise? I dont want all out power but i do want to have plenty of it! Thanks again guys
I would personally go with ported LS7 heads with a big bore stroker, but if you really want to stay with cathedral ports and if you are a Trick Flow fan, then I'd at least step up to the TFS 235 heads.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Teching In

To be honest we thought thats what all car clubs do(PAY DUES), an with the way the economy is with performance parts it seems to be a good way to get everone one in the groups car up an running fast(without the wives missing anything)! Your wife can't complain about building a racecar with 25 bucks a week. **** i think its a great idea!

Quick Reply: Sleeved Ls motor ?'s! (Hidden Cost)