Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Help me choose a 550+whp motor setup!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OP, i will putting a thread together within a month of my ultra lightweight NA 402 stroker with full race port/LS3 heads, but with a cam geared for performance and fuel economy in mind (high 5xx on a 114lsa) without a crazy lope (Fast 102LSX, ARH LT's, cats and stock mufflers to keep it quiet-er). Car will be tuned on a Mustang Dyno through a stock stall/6l80e and irs with 2.92 gears (to start). if the combo puts down good numbers i will be more than happy to get you specs. My thread will be as detailed as i know how (i'm a novice learning about the internals and such that make power). What i'm being told by those in the know that i respect is that we won't be able to quantify (HP/TQ numbers on the dyno) what the ultra lightweight effect is until we take it to the track and compare it to a similar build/setup minus the ultra lightweight rotating assembly. Anyone of us can throw heads, cams, cubes out there, i am interested in what the numbers actually mean when combined. I will also include cost of the build (i will list the list price of the parts as i am paying less through my friend's shop) and the labor to assemble and port the heads.

This is my car show/strip car that will be doing much more sitting in my garage and cruising car shows than running at the track (though i will take it there a few times a year). obviously a much more aggressive cam would raise numbers far above where i'll be (along with the mustang dyno's low ball #'s) My build is more of a stealthy stock sound with decent go power. Good luck with your build.

PS. mine is being assembled tomorrow (was there taking pics of everything laid out today) but it will be a week or two before engine meets the car due to schedule conflicts etc.

Last edited by TonyGXP; 09-04-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Yes it is. I can't put what you are typing together to try to understand the point you are trying to bring across. Read what you posted, if you can understand that then you need to be checked out for dyslexia.

There you go with a Scot crank. Does the "a" not work on the keyboard or is it just missing the the key?

As far as your debate with a "Scat vs. Callies" I remember your posts. Just a tid bit of info, good machining will make most cranks last thru alot of power. Even a stock one.

When considering the contents, why is it that I don't see Kurt, Erik, or Billy Briggs using a Scat crank on their 7 second motor builds. I guess they they consider the contents of a Scat box
Thanks for matching me to those great names, that makes a lot of sense but you r going to keep your dyslexia for yourself.

You may now turn to the Op and show you have some wise to share with him, perhaps some great contribution, tell some about your engine building experience, outline the way of winners and make yourself a great name, fly the wings of your wisdom, thanks for all your compliments.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
I don't have to have experience with a certain block to know that's not how it works. Each and every block has to be honed to fit the pistons. Simply because different pistons are made from different materials that have different expansion rates requiring different piston to bore clearances.

The summit block is not a good starting point for a performance oriented build for that reason.
Great, give me that block as it comes, and let me show the way Fannies are kicked.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
Man I have a headache trying to read that. There is no way I'm using a "scott" crank, I think you meant Scat, not using that either. Second, I'm not shifting a 13 to 1 motor at 6700 no matter how you look at it.
Take a Tylenol. Where is your input helping the OP? Your post is kinda like this one is about to be. You answered by asking questions. You wouldn't shift a 13:1 motor at 6700?... Becuase you dont know how to drive? Dont know how to build an engine? Dont have a proper tune?
He said he will be running 100 octane. He can venture to higher compression numbers.

You have alot of posts counts. You should know better than to start nit picking someones HELPFUL post and derail the thread with your rant.

Let the OP know about the engine(s) you built that made over 550HP and what setup you ran to achieve that power.
If you are basing you answer/experience from other setups maybe seen on other threads, post the link. Simple...
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think what he was getting at was he wouldn't shift it a 6700 because higher compression engines tend to like to rev higher.

That being said, I'm sure part of what camster said was helpful, but unless you have the time to sort thru the grammatical nonsense and infer what was trying to be said, I don't see how any good could have came from it.

Obviously this is not a back yard build and offering nonsense like using scat cranks and summit "ready to build" blocks does not count as helpful information in my book. At least for the caliber of this build it doesn't.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:13 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
I think what he was getting at was he wouldn't shift it a 6700 because higher compression engines tend to like to rev higher.

That being said, I'm sure part of what camster said was helpful, but unless you have the time to sort thru the grammatical nonsense and infer what was trying to be said, I don't see how any good could have came from it.

Obviously this is not a back yard build and offering nonsense like using scat cranks and summit "ready to build" blocks does not count as helpful information in my book. At least for the caliber of this build it doesn't.
^^^Thank you, well put. Nuff said.

OP you can PM me or bww3588 and we will give you good insight on how to reach your goals. We both have builds going on that reach into your power numbers so we can give you some info and this is my 3rd one of said power numbers so if you need some info just PM me.

Quick Reply: Help me choose a 550+whp motor setup!