Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

weak bank dead bank ruined new pistons

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might of had something to do with the big comp cam but the O2 sensors would have adjusted the fuel to whatever it needed.

In light of recent events, ie it stilll burns oil like a ****. I'd say the gapless rings are pulling oil through the valve guides and that huge amount of oil is what clogged the cats.

SOAB

The new turbo didn't stop my oil burning so I disconnected it and dropped the pipes and ran it open for a day and it still burnt oil. Must be the guides. My Patriot springs came with stem seals. You guys know if I can get better seals somewhere?

This build sucks.

Last edited by ericwilloughby; 10-01-2012 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Eric, have you done a compression test or a leak down? Just curious...

You may have covered this too, but why gapless?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Ive done 6 comp tests. But I could do another now that it's running just to make sure no damage was done this time

I wanted to try gapless to reduce blowby and to avoid any chance of ring gaps butting together. On the tear down that started this fiasco I had 2 pistons with bent ring lands. I just wanted to give them a try. I have 4" more vacuum than before. But it's causing oil burning
Old 10-02-2012, 12:17 AM
Staging Lane

Great to hear youre working it now. Had it happen to me built a new motor cam bearings wernt installed right spun cam bearings broke iwis timing chain bent 2 valves had to get a new block.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have bored and honed again after that last pic of Tue cylinders being all fked up? If not then that's why you are burning oil.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow what a nightmare, I thought my engine build issues were bad. So 3 rebuilds and it still burns oil?
Old 11-14-2012, 12:30 PM
Teching In

Same thing happened to me. Car didn't have any power all of a sudden. It was showing misfires. Thought it was carbon build up so I sent the heads off and had them went through. Put it back together same problem.

Tore the engine down, found sticking rings. Sent block off to machine shop and it had to be bored 030 over. We found powder coming out of the mid pipes, looked in them and one was completely stopped up with chunks broken off inside. The other was about stopped up also with chunks broken off.

My oil pan had the graphite looking stuff in it too.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah, it made me, 2 machinists, 2 dealerships, look completely stupid.
And yes, it was bored again after the last pictures.
My compression is now 200 +-5 but it still burns oil bad. Was about a quart every 100 miles last I noticed. I need to take time to pull a valve spring and check the guides and stem seals..either those got ruined with all that funk or the rings just wont seat. I've been reading a lot of bad things about these gapless rings not seating.. I read in Car Craft I think where one guy used them and sprayed his cyl walls with some kind of dry lub that Total Seal offers to get his to seat. Bastards didn't mention anything like that to me.

I put a new 4l80 from AutoZone/Alltrans last week. $1750. Very nice setup, came with a heavy trans cooler, line filter, that top bellhousing bolt my old 80e was missing, reman converter which I cant use because its an inch to shallow to reach the flex plate. Put that bitch in last week and it has a bad pump. Noisy, making weird sounds I cant even begin to replicate, and has no converter lockup. SOAB

I'm tired of this car.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't believe clogged cats would do that.

I had an identical problem with my 427 LS1 build, turned out the engine shop installed the crank reluctor wheel backwards. It would only run on 4 cylinders, the other ones got washed down and ruined the rings. Fixed the reluctor but the engine was still ****. Went through about a quart of oil every 100-200 miles. $6000+ down the drain thanks to the stupid-*** engine builder. Can't trust anyone these days.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have come to the conclusion that nothing matches OEM quality and consistency. Anything that is built for you will always be a crapshoot.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:49 AM
TECH Regular

I agree. Had NO 1st or 2nd gear today. I had hoped that POS would last until they sent a replacement.

Quick Reply: weak bank dead bank ruined new pistons