Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cleaning Deck Surface for New Head Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 08:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Danspeed1
I had read about doing this, however I opted to use scotch brite instead of sand paper before I realized it had aluminum oxide particles in it. i figured sanding would create aluminum dust and particles that might make their way into the engine. I was wrong as it seems as though Scotch brite does the same thing.

DG
It's a good way to do it, I have a couple of long precision ground sanding blocks which work really well for surface prep, but it's really not an off the shelf item so I didn't even mention it.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

........try the 97-00ish graphite gasket cleaning

looks good, I'd get out the light and inspect all the bolt holes for junk/coolant and run an head bolt with a notch ground in it or the ARP thread 'cleaner'

also, it's a bit easier to have the lifter/trays out and stuff a shop rag as others have mentioned, shop vac the lifter valley and rag prior to removing rag

GM top end engine cleaner works well to break down gasket material.........sea foam is prolly pretty close

also as others posted, oil dump and filter change always help cut back on the paxil intake after the initial start

bolt on the heads and let 'er eat.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Launching!

I had read about doing this, however I opted to use scotch brite instead of sand paper before I realized it had aluminum oxide particles in it. i figured sanding would create aluminum dust and particles that might make their way into the engine. I was wrong as it seems as though Scotch brite does the same thing.

DG
That is why you do it wet. If you put rags in the bores and do it wet pretty much all of the dust just sticks without falling down. Then you can wipe and clean it away. I done it many many times.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Bump from the dead I'm doing this right now. I'm just using brake cleaner, sea foam, plastic putty knifes, and a stiff bristle nylon brush. It's taking forever and was about to use a Dremel with a fine pad but thought that would be a bad idea. It's take about 4 hours so far but I'm just going to keep doing it by hand. The most important thing is to not use anything harder than the aluminum...

Also I'm cleaning the deck surface BEFORE removing the stock cam and lifters. Then I'll pour some junk oil in the lifter passages before installing the new one. And I'm using my shop vac to clean everything up. I vacuum every passage before rotating the motor.

So I think this is the best way to do it? I'm just going to keep going
Old 02-02-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 589 Likes on 467 Posts

I think S10xGN's suggestion of Kerosene, brake clean, and shop air is the best bet. For me anyways. I'd never use bristle disc of any kind nor any scotchbrite. Chemicals, compressed air, lint free shop towels and physical labor is the way I always do it. Its going to take time.
Old 05-24-2018, 01:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

FINALLY IT LOOKS LIKE WE FOUND SOMETHING WE CAN AGREE ON. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT YOU, and you seem to think you know everything about me.

Thank you for once again avoiding the question and not providing the answer I have asked you for repeatedly.

Now its time for us to part ways; I may not have your superior level of experience when it comes to engine building, however I am intelligent enough to know when I am beating a dead horse. I will ask you politely not to post in ANY of my threads again, and I will be sure to avoid anything you create as well.

DG
Don't get mad bro. ......they all hate me cause I post on old threads. .......but I say...**** em
Old 05-24-2018, 09:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgs74
Don't get mad bro. ......they all hate me cause I post on old threads. .......but I say...**** em
Dude, did you just log in after a 5 year stretch in Folsom? <LOL>
Old 05-24-2018, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Dude, did you just log in after a 5 year stretch in Folsom? <LOL>
One would think that, but no..... he's just weird that way.....
Old 05-25-2018, 02:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I wouldnt say wierd....just lazy and forgetful of checking thread post dates......plus I'm trying to remove excess crusty graphite gasket material so I thought I'd cruise this thread lookin for help. ......but if you think that's weird. ...too each their own!!! Gonna make an iron l33 with an asa cam out of a '99 lm7......basically putting in 4.8 flat-tops and 64cc heads with 210cc runners with 2.02" intake 1.575" exhaust valves hopefully I'm gonna get 10:1 or higher compression with ls6 .051gaskets......but Yea I need to clean my deck
Old 05-29-2018, 05:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

I didn't read all the posts so this may have been mentioned

I clean the surfaces with razor blades at a 90 degree angle to the block to prevent the blades digging in. In some cases I finish it off with very light sand paper. I then blow out debris with compressed air around the pistons and blow out all the head bolt holes really good after I thread chase them. I thread chase the holes with an old head bolt. I take an old head bolt and cut grooves in it with a die grinder and cut off wheel, cutting down the length of the bolt to duplicate what a thread chaser looks like.

When I'm done I drop the drain plug out of the pan and put a drain pan under it and pour motor oil over the cam and lifter holes to flush debris out the bottom of the pan, that way when I'm done the only thing in there is oil, no chemicals.

And I just noticed this is another old *** thread brought up by dawgs74
Old 05-29-2018, 06:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,087 Likes on 2,403 Posts

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
And I just noticed this is another old *** thread brought up by dawgs74
It's a fetish of his......lol
Old 05-30-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It's a fetish of his......lol
Apparently so
Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice. .......I will keep it in mind!!
Old 05-30-2018, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Already got the chaser.....
Old 12-21-2019, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm, scotch brite leaves crap everywhere. Tape off everything but the deck.
Machinist steel block wrapped in 500- 1000 grit sandpaper with oil, even presure and go across the deck. Turn it upside down and flush it all with kerosene in a pump sprayer, (Home depot has 1 gallon pump sprayers for $7). Several rounds of kerosene and compresed air. Flip it back over and wipe everything down with acetone.

Roloc discs, or any air powered tool slings crap everywhere.
Old 12-21-2019, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I would have used easyoff oven cleaner, it would bubble that crap out of the ports of the metal than just wiped it off. Yes it works.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (12-22-2019)
Old 12-30-2019, 05:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tramminc
I would have used easyoff oven cleaner, it would bubble that crap out of the ports of the metal than just wiped it off. Yes it works.

And it trashes aluminum, at least some maybe not all of it. Seen people use that **** and the block looks like it's been at the bottom of the sea for years after it's done. No need at all to go the oven cleaner route, in my opinion, there are too many better ways out there.
The following 2 users liked this post by 00pooterSS:
Abramin theMorning (12-01-2020), G Atsma (12-30-2019)

Quick Reply: Cleaning Deck Surface for New Head Gaskets