Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Anyone using the Lingenfelter TRG-002 conversion box?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone using the Lingenfelter TRG-002 conversion box?

I have a 2006 TB/SS, and just put in a freshly built (and stock) LS2.....since I put a rod through the side of the original block. My 2006 had a 24x reluctor, and the LS2 I put in (from C6) had a 58x reluctor. So I had to change my cam gear, install the gray 58x sensor, and install the Lingenfelter conversion box.

Got the box installed with no issues, truck runs great.....no codes. I'm glad this box is available for those in the same boat as me, makes life much easier!

My only question/concern: I have a little delay before the engine starts. With the original motor/setup the engine would fire nearly instantly, probably 0.5 seconds of the motor actually turning over. Now with the fresh setup as described above, I am having about 2 full seconds of the engine turning over before it fires. It almost replicates the cranking sound you'd have with a dying fuel pump or inadequate fuel pressure. That has been checked already though, and I have a quick and solid 40psi with KOEO.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same, or if you aren't at all experiencing this with the Lingenfelter box.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:40 AM
TECH Regular

We have an LS3 in place of the original LS1 in our 2001 Monaro and yes it has the same issues.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The box has to see a certain number of pulses/revolutions before it syncs up. This is normal & not avoidable.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also make sure it's in a place that allows it to get some air circulation. They tend to run a Lil hot from what I've read.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got one. Works good, does its job. I noticed last night the cranking took a little longer than normal. But I did have my battery unhooked a few minutes before hand and it takes awhile to relearn itself sometimes a few start ups fixes the issue.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies.

Mine is mounted to the firewall, under the cowl......it should be free of any water run-off and is high enough to catch plenty of circulating air. I'm ok with the extended starting, as long as it is a known characteristic with the box. I kind of figured it was, just wanted to confirm.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Start up delay

We loose some engine position information between the 24x reluctor wheel and the 58x reluctor wheel. The 24x wheel has an uneven pattern that gives more engine position information than does the 60-2 evenly spaced tooth paatern wheel of the newer engines. We get the missing position information from the 4x cam gear.

Depending on where the engine stops it can take up to one revolution for our module to determine the phasing/synchronization of the cam and crank signals.

Depending on your starter speed (mostly impacted by battery voltage and starter type), one revolution can take between roughly 0.2 and 0.6 seconds so the TRG-002 can add up to 0.2 to 0.6 seconds to the engine cranking time compared to original engine and controller combination.

BTW - just to clarify something since some confusion exists about this and we often have this problem happen, when he mentioned changing the cam gear, he changed to the 4x cam gear that is the correct cam gear for a 58x crank engine. The TRG-002 will not work the 58x crank gear and the 1x cam gear that is used on the 24x engines.

Originally Posted by 97 HMS SS
I have a 2006 TB/SS, and just put in a freshly built (and stock) LS2.....since I put a rod through the side of the original block. My 2006 had a 24x reluctor, and the LS2 I put in (from C6) had a 58x reluctor. So I had to change my cam gear, install the gray 58x sensor, and install the Lingenfelter conversion box.

Got the box installed with no issues, truck runs great.....no codes. I'm glad this box is available for those in the same boat as me, makes life much easier!

My only question/concern: I have a little delay before the engine starts. With the original motor/setup the engine would fire nearly instantly, probably 0.5 seconds of the motor actually turning over. Now with the fresh setup as described above, I am having about 2 full seconds of the engine turning over before it fires. It almost replicates the cranking sound you'd have with a dying fuel pump or inadequate fuel pressure. That has been checked already though, and I have a quick and solid 40psi with KOEO.

Just wondering if anyone else experiences the same, or if you aren't at all experiencing this with the Lingenfelter box.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies here and to my email Jason! Thank you for clarifying this.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Teching In

if I am using the PCM/ECM from the LS3 6.2 into a square S-10. why would I even need to get a Lingenfelter converter? i am going to have to change all my gauges to electronic needle anyway. nothing will have my LS1 anything except the non-electronic t-56 from the F-body. 58x to 24x why is that?

Last edited by s10bayouls1; 06-01-2017 at 03:03 PM. Reason: added something for clearidy

Quick Reply: Anyone using the Lingenfelter TRG-002 conversion box?