Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

BTR stage 3 cam or Tick Stage 2 what's the difference?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 07:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTR stage 3 cam or Tick Stage 2 what's the difference?

i still can't decide on a Cam for anyone that's been reading my posts bc I want a safe piston to valve clearance. What's the difference in the BTR stage 3 or Tick stage 2 cam? They're both 229/244. I heard somewhere they were the same cam and jointly designed by Martin and BTR. Is that true?
Old 05-30-2017, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andy-lswon
i still can't decide on a Cam for anyone that's been reading my posts bc I want a safe piston to valve clearance. What's the difference in the BTR stage 3 or Tick stage 2 cam? They're both 229/244. I heard somewhere they were the same cam and jointly designed by Martin and BTR. Is that true?
Not sure where your getting those specs, but the BTR is 231/242...I have one.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

What car is this going in and what mods? I don't recall your setup
Old 05-30-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ragtopz28
Not sure where your getting those specs, but the BTR is 231/242...I have one.
That's what they spec it as on their website
Old 05-30-2017, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
What car is this going in and what mods? I don't recall your setup
car is an 01 z28 LS3 swapped. Motor is completely stock other than headers. Auto with a yank 3600ss converter
Old 05-30-2017, 08:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what they spec it as on their website
Ahh, I was assuming a LS1-LS2
Old 05-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Tick Performance has all their cams manufactured by Cam Motion. Brian Tooley Racing has some cams ground by Cam Motion and some by Comp Cams. I think BTR has that particular grind made by Comp Cams.

Full Disclosure: I work for Cam Motion. With that said, our lobe designs are known for quiet operation and hi-RPM stability. We also CNC polish all of cams after grinding to assure an ideal and very consistent finish. If you do some searches on this forum, I think you will find many testimonials to our quality and reputation.
The following users liked this post:
Rich2342 (04-04-2024)
Old 05-30-2017, 08:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Tick Performance has all their cams manufactured by Cam Motion. Brian Tooley Racing has some cams ground by Cam Motion and some by Comp Cams. I think BTR has that particular grind made by Comp Cams.

Full Disclosure: I work for Cam Motion. With that said, our lobe designs are known for quiet operation and hi-RPM stability. We also CNC polish all of cams after grinding to assure an ideal and very consistent finish. If you do some searches on this forum, I think you will find many testimonials to our quality and reputation.
Im actually trying to stay away from a comp core if I can. You wouldnt happen to have an estimated piston to valve clearance would you with that Tick cam with stock heads? I've also been looking a lot into your Titan King LS3 cam
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 PM
Old School Heavy

Im actually trying to stay away from a comp core if I can. You wouldnt happen to have an estimated piston to valve clearance would you with that Tick cam with stock heads? I've also been looking a lot into your Titan King LS3 cam
All 3 cams will have the same IVOs(intake valve open) of 6.5 degrees before top dead center and very close EVCs(exhaust valve close) of 6 to 6.5 degrees after top dead center. So, they will all have about the same valve clearance. So, I would expect about .050" to .060" intake valve clearance in an LS3 and about .070" exhaust valve clearance in an LS3. You will be fine as long as you don't mill the heads or use a thin head gasket.

Also, if you prefer to work with BTR, they will gladly get you a Cam Motion made camshaft if you request it.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All 3 cams will have the same IVOs(intake valve open) of 6.5 degrees before top dead center and very close EVCs(exhaust valve close) of 6 to 6.5 degrees after top dead center. So, they will all have about the same valve clearance. So, I would expect about .050" to .060" intake valve clearance in an LS3 and about .070" exhaust valve clearance in an LS3. You will be fine as long as you don't mill the heads or use a thin head gasket.
I don't plan on having the heads milled. If anything I'd go aftermarket in the future for any head work. Between the Tick and Titan king how would you compare the torque curves of both. Seems like the Tick would make better power down low but maybe I'm mistaken. Which one would work better with my 3600ss converter
Old 05-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Old School Heavy

I don't plan on having the heads milled. If anything I'd go aftermarket in the future for any head work. Between the Tick and Titan king how would you compare the torque curves of both. Seems like the Tick would make better power down low but maybe I'm mistaken. Which one would work better with my 3600ss converter
The Tick Stage II has an earlier IVC, so it will have a bit more midrange torque where the Titan King will make a bit more peak HP and carry a bit higher.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Tick Stage II has an earlier IVC, so it will have a bit more midrange torque where the Titan King will make a bit more peak HP and carry a bit higher.
awesome so the Tick would probably have more usable power on the street then
Old 05-31-2017, 08:01 AM
Old School Heavy

awesome so the Tick would probably have more usable power on the street then
I would characterize it as quoted below:

The camshaft that we make for all around power under the curve for street driving is the Titan 3 LS3. It is designed to be a aggressive street cam that still has very good drivability.

With that said, the Tick Stage II will make more power than the Titan 3 LS3, but it also has twice the overlap. So, it will depend on what type of personality you want the camshaft to have. If you want a very aggressive, hard chopping, street/strip idle, then you will want the Tick Stage II camshaft. If you want a mild to moderate lope/chop at idle and a little better manners and drivability, you might like the Titan 3 LS3 better.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I would characterize it as quoted below:

The camshaft that we make for all around power under the curve for street driving is the Titan 3 LS3. It is designed to be a aggressive street cam that still has very good drivability.

With that said, the Tick Stage II will make more power than the Titan 3 LS3, but it also has twice the overlap. So, it will depend on what type of personality you want the camshaft to have. If you want a very aggressive, hard chopping, street/strip idle, then you will want the Tick Stage II camshaft. If you want a mild to moderate lope/chop at idle and a little better manners and drivability, you might like the Titan 3 LS3 better.
the Tick stage 2 sounds about what I'm looking for. A mid range cam with some lope. I'm going to have Tick have it made on your 8620 core so you will be seeing my order come thru soon. Thanks for the info on both I appreciate it
Old 05-31-2017, 09:28 AM
Old School Heavy

the Tick stage 2 sounds about what I'm looking for. A mid range cam with some lope. I'm going to have Tick have it made on your 8620 core so you will be seeing my order come thru soon. Thanks for the info on both I appreciate it
Sounds good! I look forward to seeing your results.
Old 06-03-2017, 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

speedtigger,
what do you do @ cammotion?
Old 06-03-2017, 07:11 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
speedtigger,
what do you do @ cammotion?
I wear many hats. Depends on the day.
Old 06-03-2017, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up

I wear many hats. Depends on the day.

Quick Reply: BTR stage 3 cam or Tick Stage 2 what's the difference?