Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GEN IV vs GEN III - IRON BLOCK ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 01:40 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to steal the thread, but can you put a gen iv timing cover on a gen three block to move the cam sensor to the front.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada
Word of advice DO NOT put an edelbrock timing cover on your motor. It took 2 weeks of work to get it clearanced to fit. I dont think Aaron at TSP will ever sell one of those again.
Thanks for the "Heads-Up" . . . I made a note of that !
Old 10-30-2012, 11:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast6.3
Sorry to steal the thread, but can you put a gen iv timing cover on a gen three block to move the cam sensor to the front.

Nothing "stolen", at all . . .

That is a VERY good question and I'd like to hear about that, too !
Old 10-30-2012, 12:06 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast6.3
Yes, and it will need to be used with the correct cam gear for te sensor to pick up a signal.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Canada
I've got a gen IV lq9 built by TSP but for some reason when swapping over the 3 sensors on the side of the block they were on opposite sides of what they were on my ls2 that I was taking them off of. I know this is a dumb question but the 3 sensors on the block, are they all knock sensors? There are two on the passenger side and one on the driver side. I dunno if my sensors were backwards b/c I have a gto or if it was possible that i was looking at the one block upside down and it didn't click. Too late for me to go out and double check but glad to know there extension harness if I need it b/c that is one part that had me worried.

Word of advice DO NOT put an edelbrock timing cover on your motor. It took 2 weeks of work to get it clearanced to fit. I dont think Aaron at TSP will ever sell one of those again.
Is it a Gen III block setup as an Gen IV??? All LQ9 were Gen III. And was your GTO a LS1 version. There are two knock sensors on the side of the block for the Gen IV computer system. The 3rd sensor maybe the crank sensor. Its located above the starter of which both Gen III/IV have.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bo185
Is it a Gen III block setup as an Gen IV??? All LQ9 were Gen III. And was your GTO a LS1 version. There are two knock sensors on the side of the block for the Gen IV computer system. The 3rd sensor maybe the crank sensor. Its located above the starter of which both Gen III/IV have.
I have a gen IV lq9 and my gto had an ls2. I figured out they were knock sensors on each side and the one by the starter was the crank sensor. Just for some reason when we were swapping from the ls2 block over to the lq9 block they were on opposite sides. I haven't looked again but it was a long hot day and the ls2 block was upside down so that could of just been from being exhausted. I'm going to go take a look at it tonight when I get home. Finally putting this beast in the car on Sunday. Hopefully have enough time to get it all buttoned up and get a test fire.

Quick Reply: GEN IV vs GEN III - IRON BLOCK ?