Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Link-bar Lifters - get in here

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 08:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
Brian any other comments for these points?

Flat tappet lifters have "cast" bodies. These hydraulic roller lifters are made from a multiple step forging process using only the finest USA made materials. According to the manufacturer, they tested materials from overseas, but none of them were as good as the US supplier that they've used for over 60 years.

I've been in the process of attempting to source excellent quality lifters at an affordable price for 6 months. I've received samples that looked like overseas pieces, and after lots of research found out they were indeed produced overseas. I'm not saying everything produced overseas is bad, but I would prefer to source parts made in the US if at all possible. I feel extremely fortunate to have found this supplier and these lifters.

I believe the primary cause for lifter failure is lack of cleanliness. Each roller should be spun by hand to ensure the roller moves very smoothly. If the movement feels at all rough, the bearings should be cleaned and lubricated until it rolls very smooth. If any roughness remains the lifter should be replaced.

Obviously if the valve train is out of control, damage can occur to the lifters and the camshaft irregardless of who makes them.

Something else of interest, I was told the travel limiters that I had made and installed in my LS7 lifters can shock the roller, bearings and shaft when the plunger bottoms out on the limiter. Controlling the bleed down of the plunger by using ultra tight clearances eliminates that shock, and eliminates excessive bleed down.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So brian im gonna be running prc 255cc heads as suggested by pat g with hollow stem valves and .650 dual springs. Are they robust enough to handle this and near 7000 rpms consistently? They sound great, but I gotta make double and triple sure lol im getting ready to spend a damn fortune on all this.
Old 12-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I was in the same boat and talk to Brian about my erl 427 procharged bill and was eyeing those morel 5206 lifters and had my card out ready to spend the money and he told me that the street liftes would work just find!!! But still kinda look at other comments and experiences to get peice of mind.. Brain is great guy to deal with!!!!! Just my 2 cents...
Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was looking into the lunatti/morel design for my 408 and was advised to get the comp short travel. I haven't ran across anyone really running them though. Starting to make me a little skeptical.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think you guy's need to beat yourself to death over lifters... I ran my old 403 on stock LS7 lifters un-modified and that thing took a beating and a half with a fairly large camshaft and a single plane/4bbl intake setup and I was shifting that car at 74-7500rpm (stickshift car). The attension needs to go into valve springs, seats, retainers, rocker arm geometry and pushrod length and last but not least valve weight. Usually the only time you have a lifter issue is when the valve train gets out of control which is usually camshaft and the above related.

Look into Brians springs for solid results because there isn't another spring kit on the market that fits into the seat and retainer and is lightweight as Brian's kits. Quality stuff!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well right now heres my valvetrain:
Prc ls3 small bore 260cc heads with hollow stem intake valves
Eht .675 dual springs
Measuring first, but .120 wall pushrods
Planning on these SLR lifters
Comp trunion ls3 rockers
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5206!
Old 12-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Teching In

I measured out my preload from zero lash i got just a lil over 1 and 3/4 turns about so i think the length of the pushrod contributed to the lifter failing.

Brain what is the preload you suggest on your SLR so when i get to ordering parts i can get the proper length pushrod?
Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28josh
I measured out my preload from zero lash i got just a lil over 1 and 3/4 turns about so i think the length of the pushrod contributed to the lifter failing.

Brain what is the preload you suggest on your SLR so when i get to ordering parts i can get the proper length pushrod?
Ditto on this question brian. Im gonna order mine after xmas
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Old 12-31-2012, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z28josh
whose lifters are those??
Old 12-31-2012, 08:54 PM
Teching In

thats the bad lifter i pulled out my engine turns out it wasnt collapsed it was broke idk what would cause that maybe bad cast.

Quick Reply: Link-bar Lifters - get in here