Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Link-bar Lifters - get in here

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Link-bar Lifters - get in here

I've got a 408 stroker, going to be running either TFS or PRC 237 heads, custom spec'd cam and of course all the supporting mods.

Question now is, what lifters? I definitely dont want to run LS7 lifters.
I'm really liking the idea of the tie bar lifters for added security and the price seems right.

I'm not looking to spend more than about $425 on a set, and from what I've gathered the Morels are the same as Lunati, and they both seem to get good reviews.

The ones im looking at are the street series for 62-6500RPM's. now I've read plenty of people have gone way beyond that and have been doing fine, however im not going past 6600 period so im thinking these are a great option for the money.

Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 12-13-2012, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interested as well. I'm leaning towards the morel street series. I'm going a tad more than 6500, was wondering if they would still be ok. Probably depends on the rest of the valvetrain???
Old 12-13-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

fyi everything I've read thus far is the morel and lunati are the same but much better price
Old 12-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howards offers a set in the $340 range.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Morel makes the Lunati link bar lifters. I still don't understand how Lunati can sell the same lifter cheaper than the manufacturer can.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WKMCD
Morel makes the Lunati link bar lifters. I still don't understand how Lunati can sell the same lifter cheaper than the manufacturer can.
mark up and overhead
Old 12-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

Morel Link-Bar... the 5206 is like $579 most places. Brian Tooley Racing has them for 499. That's about as good as you're going to get.

And I'd stay away from the Street Series. If you're going to spend almost $400 on lifters that aren't anywhere near as robust, might as well spend another $100 and get the real deal.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

im open to other lifter suggestions as well. I feel like I should have a pretty wide market, im not spinning very high, im not running roller rockers...

Ryan @ Vengeance recommended the comp 850s
Old 12-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
Morel Link-Bar... the 5206 is like $579 most places. Brian Tooley Racing has them for 499. That's about as good as you're going to get.

And I'd stay away from the Street Series. If you're going to spend almost $400 on lifters that aren't anywhere near as robust, might as well spend another $100 and get the real deal.
X2 I run the link bar lifters in my 385 sbc first gen motor, they are great, just make sure and buy the extreme duty. I buy mine from Comp.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:36 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The only real problem with stock and stock replacement lifters is the inconsistency in bleed down rate. If the plunger to bore clearance is too loose you end up with a lifter that bleeds down to fast it will tick at idle and low engine speeds.

I have some new lifters that you may want to check out. I call them SLR for Slow Leakdown Rate, the ID of the bodies and the OD of the plungers are checked to within 5 millionths of an inch during manufacturing and are mated according to size during assembly. This gives the lifters very slow bleed down rates to avoid the dreaded tick that some other lifters may produce.

I offer these for $199 shipped, I also have the Morel 5290 for $299 and the 5290 for $499 like Jake mentioned.

More info and pictures here: http://www.briantooleyracing.com/slr...r-lifters.html
Old 12-13-2012, 05:44 PM
10 Second Club

My morel lifters didnt last long at all in my setup pretty much regrinded the cam and was missing chunks out of every lifter, I had the street series good to 6500, however I run prc 675 springs that have a 471 spring pressure and 160 at open, pretty stoute and I think it was to much for those lifters, I upgraded to lunatis high rpm with the bigger roller, we will see what happens if I have the same issue again or not. but I think on most under 7k applications without crazy spring pressure you will be ok
Old 12-13-2012, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
The only real problem with stock and stock replacement lifters is the inconsistency in bleed down rate. If the plunger to bore clearance is too loose you end up with a lifter that bleeds down to fast it will tick at idle and low engine speeds.

I have some new lifters that you may want to check out. I call them SLR for Slow Leakdown Rate, the ID of the bodies and the OD of the plungers are checked to within 5 millionths of an inch during manufacturing and are mated according to size during assembly. This gives the lifters very slow bleed down rates to avoid the dreaded tick that some other lifters may produce.

I offer these for $199 shipped, I also have the Morel 5290 for $299 and the 5290 for $499 like Jake mentioned.

More info and pictures here: http://www.briantooleyracing.com/slr...r-lifters.html

Brian im REALLY liking yours, especially for the price. I'm about 99.9% sure at this point I'll be running the PRC 237cc heads with PRC .650 springs, stock rockers, and a pat G spec'd cam. will your lifters be able to handle the heavy valves without floating?
Old 12-13-2012, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the street style no issues and I've been running the **** outta mine all summer.

I would go TFS Lil guy!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by litle88
I have the street style no issues and I've been running the **** outta mine all summer.

I would go TFS Lil guy!
yea I stumbled across a thread a long time ago and you and bwm were going back and forth over them Although brian certainly knows his stuff so im honestly leaning more towards his lifters, especially for less money. The main reason I considered the tie bar lifters was to be rid of the buckets but ehh ive never had a problem with them anyway.

As far as the TFS im still torn, the prc matches my budget better and it seems like the results between the two can be split between a curly **** hair just about.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Addict

Tony Mamo is getting me some Johnson short travel lifters for my 402. And they're made in the USA.

We'll see how they go. He says they're pricey but worth it. And the car will see some track time, but will be a REALLY fun DD.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Tony certainly can put a nice combo together, unfortunetly most of the time its just a weee bit outta my budget
Old 12-13-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Tainted
Tony certainly can put a nice combo together, unfortunetly most of the time its just a weee bit outta my budget
Trust me, i know, lol. I just figured I'll do it right/expensive the first time and go from there. And it's out of my system now as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Johnson is saying a little less than $500 ouch, but he also I think was under the impreasion I was going to spin 7k+ which im not. My max shift rpm is gonna be 6600
Old 12-13-2012, 07:59 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Tainted
Brian im REALLY liking yours, especially for the price. I'm about 99.9% sure at this point I'll be running the PRC 237cc heads with PRC .650 springs, stock rockers, and a pat G spec'd cam. will your lifters be able to handle the heavy valves without floating?
Whether or not you experience float is going to be more of a function of lobe design and pushrod choice with the parameters given above, with lobe choice having the largest affect. The lifters themselves have little to do with float or loft, but they can have an affect on net valve lift.

In the spintron testing I was involved in, the most startling thing I saw was the difference in net valve lift from cycle to cycle at low engine speeds. One cycle the lift might be the desired .600", the next cycle it might be .500" and the next cycle it might be .450" and the next it might be .600". I used travel limiters in my LS7 lifters to minimize this, but that's just a band aid. Hopefully I'll be doing more spintron testing shortly and I'll have results that I can share.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
Whether or not you experience float is going to be more of a function of lobe design and pushrod choice with the parameters given above, with lobe choice having the largest affect. The lifters themselves have little to do with float or loft, but they can have an affect on net valve lift.

In the spintron testing I was involved in, the most startling thing I saw was the difference in net valve lift from cycle to cycle at low engine speeds. One cycle the lift might be the desired .600", the next cycle it might be .500" and the next cycle it might be .450" and the next it might be .600". I used travel limiters in my LS7 lifters to minimize this, but that's just a band aid. Hopefully I'll be doing more spintron testing shortly and I'll have results that I can share.
The cam will be done through EPS and I understand their propreitary lobes are easier on valvetrain while still delivering performance. I dont know how much that helps you help me lol

The pushrods will be 5/16 .120 wall (or was it .105?)thats the largest the prc heads can accomodate

Quick Reply: Link-bar Lifters - get in here