Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Procomp head mini review.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad someone is taking the plunge! I am considering this as well. Are these heads on a stock cube motor?
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Subbed for results. I would like to see the results on the cathedral and the rectangle ports.

Cwarta, hopefully you can get the rocker stand issue fixed. Post up your end result, if you dont mind. I might be interested in picking up a set of those same castings, if the rocker stand issue isnt too big of a deal.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Can you just run a spacer on the rocker stands to clear the raised runners

So with the raised runner does that mean the stock LS3 intake won't work?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKNSS
Subbed for results. I would like to see the results on the cathedral and the rectangle ports.

Cwarta, hopefully you can get the rocker stand issue fixed. Post up your end result, if you dont mind. I might be interested in picking up a set of those same castings, if the rocker stand issue isnt too big of a deal.
Well as of right now im looking at cutting and pining the stands because i simply cannot afford aftermarket rockers, and the shop I purchased them from does it with all the heads they put on cars with no issues so we will see.

Originally Posted by No Juice
Can you just run a spacer on the rocker stands to clear the raised runners

So with the raised runner does that mean the stock LS3 intake won't work?
If you try a spacer It will throw your geometry way out of wack I would think. Im sure there is a way you could do it though

I was concerned about the intake aswell but have been assured that it WIll work perfectly fine. Ill post up results aswell when I am done.

Sorry for the hijack OP!!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:16 AM
Teching In

Sorry for the hijack OP!!
Oh, I don't mind. Your build is interesting too. Let us know how it turns out.

I just posted this to give some feedback on the Pro Comp heads and you are doing the same.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

How long untill your build is complete? Im looking at a few months roughly I believe. $$ is tight right now lol
Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cwarta
How long untill your build is complete? Im looking at a few months roughly I believe. $$ is tight right now lol
Same here. If I am lucky, 4 to 6 weeks.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good deal! Cant wait to see the results! You planning a trip to the dyno or street tuning?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Teching In

Good deal! Cant wait to see the results! You planning a trip to the dyno or street tuning?
I have a wide band going into it and a good tuner to help me out. I use EFI Live for data logging and loading tune files. So we should be able to get it pretty dialed in. After I get it all dialed in I might try to take it by a local dyno to see what kind of numbers it hits. More important to me than the dyno numbers are the numbers it hits at our local 1/8 mile strip.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
I have a wide band going into it and a good tuner to help me out. I use EFI Live for data logging and loading tune files. So we should be able to get it pretty dialed in. After I get it all dialed in I might try to take it by a local dyno to see what kind of numbers it hits. More important to me than the dyno numbers are the numbers it hits at our local 1/8 mile strip.
how complete is the motor? I am curious that all the stock components such as rockers and stands will fit on these cylinder heads.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1990LSx
how complete is the motor? I am curious that all the stock components such as rockers and stands will fit on these cylinder heads.
With this set of heads all of the stock components are supposed to fit.

The motor is currently in the car and running. I will be swapping out heads and cam together and leaving a stock bottom end.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:47 AM
Teching In

I also had a couple of questions for you guys in my first post.

What do you guys think about new head gaskets? I hear that the stock head gaskets can or are often reused on these, but I have never reused a head gasket before. With this combustion chamber size I am going to have the same compression ration as stock (10.9 to 1), unless I go with a thinner head gasket.

And the motor currently has 35,000 miles on it.

Reuse the stock lifters or replace them?

Any thoughts on those things?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

In my case, there is one main thing that I am unsure about, and I was not notified/aware of when I purchased these heads. These LS3 heads are a "Raised runner" design, therefore the GM rocker stands do not fit. I was informed In order to use stock GM LS3 stands and rocker arms I will need to cut the middle stands in pairs of 2, and I will need to cut the outside stands off as single and drill/pin them. That I am not real thrilled about :/ Just an fyi for others

Stock LS3 rocker stand boss`s:

My CNC Procomp Heads:

Notice the gaps between stand boss`s and the stands? That's due to the intake runner being raised so far.

Man, I dont want to be a dick but you have those stands on backwards. They should fit just fine if you put them on the other way, see the notch for the valvecover bolt on the one side?
Old 12-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Grr
Man, I dont want to be a dick but you have those stands on backwards. They should fit just fine if you put them on the other way, see the notch for the valvecover bolt on the one side?
Actually you may have just made his day.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

Im really interested in these heads as well, looking at picking up a set next year. Could you measure the deck thickness in a water jacket hole please. I beleive stock 243s are around .355" thick and need the thickest deck I can get.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Danny Richie
I also had a couple of questions for you guys in my first post.

What do you guys think about new head gaskets? I hear that the stock head gaskets can or are often reused on these, but I have never reused a head gasket before. With this combustion chamber size I am going to have the same compression ration as stock (10.9 to 1), unless I go with a thinner head gasket.

And the motor currently has 35,000 miles on it.

Reuse the stock lifters or replace them?

Any thoughts on those things?
WHy not up the compression while your there already? IMO take them to a machine shop and have em decked .020 or run a thinner gasket to get your compression up! Ill be running 11.5:1 on thes build! Always a good idea to change out the lifters. I have a set of Lunati linkbars ill be running now. In my ls1 I did put 75,000 hard miles on the stock lifters, 20,000 od witch were in a cam only application.

Originally Posted by Grr
Well I wish you were correct lol. I just sat the stands on the head to show the gap. Yes you are correct they are on backwards, BUT the bottom of the stand is flat so no matter witch way you flip it it wont matter. Boy I wish you were correct though!!!
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

i would seriously try the stands the other way. you might be surprised.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:55 PM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

BUT, the part that is interfering is offset 1/2" from the centerline
It will fit the other way gurantee'd with at most minimal grinding of the edge
Old 12-27-2012, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh man, you guys are going to make me have to prove it lol. ALright ill take pictures of them on correctly tomorrow. Like I said I tried a hundred times ev ery witch way lol. Doesn't matter. I just tossed them up there as a refrence.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

In for results

Quick Reply: Procomp head mini review.