Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT front cover, 1x cam gear question

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VVT front cover, 1x cam gear question

Hey guys

I have a newly built L92 with a GM Hot Cam, and we converted to a 1x cam gear (and the crank to 24x) to reuse the old PCM.

Had this oil pump issue https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...p-too-big.html so the shop used the VVT front cover and now I'm getting a P0340 cam sensor code as it can't pick up the cam gear signal.

Confirmed that the oil pump they used was huge, I have no idea what it's for, it came with the crate motor, and only the VVT cover fits over it. Bought them a regular LS oil pump to change it over.

Problem is, to change the pump and use the LS3 front cover, the motor will have to be pulled again, because we used a hat over the pickup tube to use both bolt bosses, and the lower bolt can't be got at they said.

Question I have is is there any way to use the VVT cover with the 1x cam gear, a deeper cam sensor perhaps, a reluctor that will bolt to the cam gear, any alternative to pulling?
Old 02-06-2013, 01:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1,121 Likes on 618 Posts

Unfortunately we are not aware of an aftermarket solution to correct the gap between a VVT timing cover and the 1x cam sprocket. You will need to change your current cover to a LS2 timing cover and we are sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

800-230-3030
www.SummitRacing.com
Old 02-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response. I spent several hours researching to no avail. Motor is already on its way back out, best to do it right.

Quick Reply: VVT front cover, 1x cam gear question