Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

wtf!!! How do you break an oil pump?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by litle88
Sucking a pan dry?
Really? What driving upside down? They must of been pretty low on oil.
8 quart pans (it's actually a little more than that...8.5 I think, I forget, always have to look it up when I change my oil) are stock in 2010+ Camaro SS's, checked the level myself before the cars went out on the track...keep cornering at close to if not over 1G in a road race prepped car, while you've got the tach hanging on at 5500+ RPM...the cars with stock pumps never had problems, the cars with aftermarket pumps all lost oil pressure and then bearings. Higher fluid volume is not always better...sometimes it's more harm than good. In a street car that see's the occasional drag race, there's not enough time for it to be a problem...cars that are on a road course for a lot of time though, will find problems.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The OD of the large round driven side of the pump has a chamfer on one side, it must be installed with the chamfer towards the back of the car. If installed backwards the pump gears can bind. I align the pump housing by eye with all the parts out. I also do some mild grinding in the pump housing. I have never broke a GM pump, but air in the inlet can cause the outer gear to split in endurance use.

Kurt
Originally Posted by KCS
Here is what I do:

First, disassemble the pump. Pull the cover off, take out the rotors, take out the plug, spring, and plunger for the bypass. Clean everything.

Next, line up the bare pump housing on the pump drive on the crank with three .002" feeler gauges or three strips of paper if you're in a pinch. Center the housing so that each of the three strips will pull right out from between the pump drive on the crank and the pump housing, but tighten the bolts before removing the strips.

Then lube the rotors with assembly lube and reinstall in the housing. Reinstall the pump cover bolts with medium strength loctite and torque to spec. Lube the bypass plunger and install, then the spring, and finally the threaded plug and torque the plug to spec.. In the cast aluminum housing, over torquing the plug could cause the plunger to bind.

I do this on every install hundreds of times now and no problems whatsoever. Usually, if you don't center the pump housing, you will see a nice scar around the circumference of the pump drive.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I've never, ever broke a gm pump. All just bolted on, no issues in over 10 years and hundreds of builds. Not saying they can't break.

L99 pumps, have pulled 3 of them with stuck pressure valves.

Mellings? I hear they can be good but never used them. We use ported stock on all builds.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok please inform me on this subject. I got a used melling high pressure that has barely any miles on it. Looks brand new. I installed it directly put together and tightened it down. Does it really need to be checked for alignment? I installed it with a double roller chain and ground front cover. It all seemed to fit fine so far.

Just don't want no problems in long run.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:22 PM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by 427
The OD of the large round driven side of the pump has a chamfer on one side, it must be installed with the chamfer towards the back of the car. If installed backwards the pump gears can bind. I align the pump housing by eye with all the parts out. I also do some mild grinding in the pump housing. I have never broke a GM pump, but air in the inlet can cause the outer gear to split in endurance use.

Kurt
That's just the stock pumps correct? IIRC, the Melling pumps are chamfered on both sides.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I guess I am just the lucky one. I have built a few ls3's and never had any issue before. I have been installying the pump finger tight and turning the crank over to center the pump. This is totally an endurance situation but it is a crate class and has to remain with the stock unmodified GM pump. Guess I will be using feeler guages from now one to make sure.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

I've done a few mellings and have never had a problem for years and have never "sucked s pan dry" with many many passes at the strip.
Maybe with the wrong oilpan baffles and 1+G's will cause that.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by allblowdup
Well I guess I am just the lucky one. I have built a few ls3's and never had any issue before. I have been installying the pump finger tight and turning the crank over to center the pump. This is totally an endurance situation but it is a crate class and has to remain with the stock unmodified GM pump. Guess I will be using feeler guages from now one to make sure.
That's what I've always done as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 PM
TECH Junkie

I have never used the Melling pump, I was referencing the stock stuff.

Kurt
Originally Posted by KCS
That's just the stock pumps correct? IIRC, the Melling pumps are chamfered on both sides.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:50 PM
12 Second Club

I know Kurt, I was just saying in my experience. I just don't see how a melling 10296 can drain a pan with 8/8.5 qts of oil lol. It doesn't move THAT much oil and where is that oil at? Lol
I think special oilpan baffles might be needed in sustained 1g turns IMHO.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Do u think I need to shim my melling oil pump to be safe? Need to know before cam gets installed.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Let me just say, I shimmed mine. I just cut my .003 shim into 3 pieces and took the pump apart, stuck the shims around the pump housing and torqued the pump bolts to 22 ft lbs. Its not hard to do and great insurance.
If its already apart, just do it.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

The factory pump is moving about 6 gallons a minute at 240F/ 6000rpm. That means it will empty that 8 quarts in 20 seconds not accounting for drain back. A high volume pump will empty it faster depending on volume ability, that can cause problems in these engines. If you start pumping oil/air the outer pump gear may crack from the harmonics induced by the air pockets. In my opinion certain engines could use the high volume pump, but most engines it will not help and might hurt them.

Kurt
Originally Posted by litle88
I know Kurt, I was just saying in my experience. I just don't see how a melling 10296 can drain a pan with 8/8.5 qts of oil lol. It doesn't move THAT much oil and where is that oil at? Lol
I think special oilpan baffles might be needed in sustained 1g turns IMHO.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some good info in here.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 427
The factory pump is moving about 6 gallons a minute at 240F/ 6000rpm. That means it will empty that 8 quarts in 20 seconds
Kurt
Lol good thing since I run better than 11's lol and don't auto cross.
Had mine since 2008 and used it in the Ls1 and now the build in my sig, NEVER a problem (knocking on wood) lol
Some flow rates I found.
Fwi a melling 10296 will only flow ~18% percent more than a stocker

Quick Reply: wtf!!! How do you break an oil pump?