Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

l92 heads on a 416 , stainless valves to hollow stem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default l92 heads on a 416 , stainless valves to hollow stem?

hey guys i have a set of tms l92 heads ,

specs ,
BIG STAINLESS VALVES 2.16" intake 1.60" exhaust
Dual valve springs good to .650" lift
Titanium retainers and chromoly spring locators
Custom TMS CNC port work on intake and exhaust runners
TMS CNC port work on chambers
Viton high lift valve seals
Multi angle valve job
milled 30,000 ths
64cc chamber
Intake runner size 280CC
Exhaust runner size is 90CC
they flow 364 cfm

this going on a ls3 416 12-1 compression (w heads )

but i was told by martin at tick and pat g that the hollow stem valve is the way to go , for valve float and max high rpm performance on their cams

i was pricing valves and found some farrea 2.165 hollow stem intake valves for 270$

should i get the exhaust valves hollow stem as well ?

what are your experiences with hollow stem vs stainless steel ?
Old 07-06-2013, 12:19 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

First off, hollow stems are stainless as well. Valves typically come in either stainless steel (typicall either of two alloys), titanium, or inconel.

Second, they may have been talking about the OEM hollow stem intakes that come in the LS3 heads. They're roughly 88g versus over 100g for the aftermarket hollow stem valves, cost about $170, and come with solid exhaust valves that typically weigh in at 90g. The solid exhaust valves should be fine.

When you reduce the weight of the valve or any component on the valve side of the rocker arm, you increase valve train stability. By that I mean you can run a mild lobe and have the potential to turn higher RPM, or run a more aggressive lobe at a lower RPM. With a heavy solid L92 valve, you would probably end up with an Xtreme Marine or HUC lobe that is very tame, but stable with heavy parts. With the lighter components, you could run faster lobes like the LXL, LSL, or XER.

If you're having Patrick or Martin spec your cam, you need to work with them on the selection of valve train components. They're both very knowledgeable and will set you up with a good cam and valve train. There's nothing more frustrating than to spec out a cam for someone only to hear, "well so and so on the forums said this."
Old 07-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

thanks kcs i always learn somthing from your posts , ill get with them soon on choosing the rest of my components

lol on the forum reference , every tuner or builder ive talked to rolls their eyes when ive mentioned the forums
Old 07-06-2013, 12:39 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Knight-Z06
thanks kcs i always learn somthing from your posts , ill get with them soon on choosing the rest of my components

lol on the forum reference , every tuner or builder ive talked to rolls their eyes when ive mentioned the forums
Haha, yeah that's pretty much the normal reaction. There's a lot of smart people on these forums that have great advice, but usually the loudest ones are just regurgitating info that may have been taken out of context or is just plain outdated and make it difficult to distinguish good advice from bad advice. Guys like Patrick and Martin are on the front lines, seeing what's happening everyday and are typically the ones to gain knoedge from.
Old 07-06-2013, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with the LS3 hollow valves. The OEM ones work well and are about $195 shipped. I have spun mine 7500 with no problems.

Tim
Old 07-06-2013, 07:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GM Hollow intake valves and inconel exhaust valves here on my 416, 12-1 comp and do far no issues. Mods in my sig.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Staging Lane

nice numbers thats some badass tourque you have there !
Old 07-08-2013, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
First off, hollow stems are stainless as well. Valves typically come in either stainless steel (typicall either of two alloys), titanium, or inconel.

Second, they may have been talking about the OEM hollow stem intakes that come in the LS3 heads. They're roughly 88g versus over 100g for the aftermarket hollow stem valves, cost about $170, and come with solid exhaust valves that typically weigh in at 90g. The solid exhaust valves should be fine.

When you reduce the weight of the valve or any component on the valve side of the rocker arm, you increase valve train stability. By that I mean you can run a mild lobe and have the potential to turn higher RPM, or run a more aggressive lobe at a lower RPM. With a heavy solid L92 valve, you would probably end up with an Xtreme Marine or HUC lobe that is very tame, but stable with heavy parts. With the lighter components, you could run faster lobes like the LXL, LSL, or XER.

If you're having Patrick or Martin spec your cam, you need to work with them on the selection of valve train components. They're both very knowledgeable and will set you up with a good cam and valve train. There's nothing more frustrating than to spec out a cam for someone only to hear, "well so and so on the forums said this."
KCS is dead on with his post. I was mentioning the OEM LS3 intake valve. It is 88.x grams the couple times I've weighed them and the exhaust is 90g. Stock LS3 exhaust valve is solid stem, and should stay that way.
Originally Posted by KCS
Haha, yeah that's pretty much the normal reaction. There's a lot of smart people on these forums that have great advice, but usually the loudest ones are just regurgitating info that may have been taken out of context or is just plain outdated and make it difficult to distinguish good advice from bad advice. Guys like Patrick and Martin are on the front lines, seeing what's happening everyday and are typically the ones to gain knoedge from.
You're not too shabby yourself KCS, but thanks for the compliment buddy.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KCS
I agree with you on that one, I always learn new things from Martin. Still crazy how the dude is soo young, yet soo knowledgeable
Old 07-08-2013, 08:31 PM
Teching In

I second that.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 PM
FormerVendor

Don't believe everything you read on the internet!
Old 07-09-2013, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

I was told if it is on the internet it must be true.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:02 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
I was told if it is on the internet it must be true.
Shhhhh.......you'll wake Ed......
Old 07-10-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

He gets up at 5 in the morning but goes to bed at 630 at night. I guess this happens when you get old.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:51 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
KCS is dead on with his post. I was mentioning the OEM LS3 intake valve. It is 88.x grams the couple times I've weighed them and the exhaust is 90g. Stock LS3 exhaust valve is solid stem, and should stay that way.

You're not too shabby yourself KCS, but thanks for the compliment buddy.
No problem. Just giving credit were credit is due.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

He gets up at 5 in the morning but goes to bed at 630 at night. I guess this happens when you get old.
But he's on FB putting on some cools pics all the time though! Go figure lol!
Old 07-11-2013, 05:50 PM
FormerVendor

I'll make sure to prank call him then.....
Old 07-11-2013, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

!

Quick Reply: l92 heads on a 416 , stainless valves to hollow stem?