Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Garage Built LS7

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I already built my own custom t56 and posted a how to thread on that so I figured this would naturally be the next step
Old 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lol, after you do the engine write up, you mine as well do a diff write up!
Old 03-12-2014, 07:04 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe I should put a disclaimer somewhere like "don't try this at home", "i am a professional, just not a professional at this"
Old 03-12-2014, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Maybe I should put a disclaimer somewhere like "don't try this at home", "i am a professional, just not a professional at this"
That'd be classic.

What radiator are you going to use? Also, are you going to run an oil cooler? I'd highly recommend an oil cooler, I have a real nice Setrab out front of my radiator, and I've been running consistently 180-200 temps. This is with it still cool out, I'd imagine it'll heat up a little come spring and summer!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

at this point I have a factory ls7 oil cooler but its on the pile of parts i bought but will probably not use. Im going to run a kurt urban coolant steam system and factory radiator to start. If that wont keep the temps down i will run a seatrab with auto fan set for something around 240 and an improved racing bypass. Oil coolers are very difficult to fit in f-bodys because the headers run so close to the block its hard to get lines in them. W will see how it pans out
Old 03-12-2014, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

BTW to anyone reading, i am open to ideas on how to improve the build, im not set in my ways per say. Trying to get the best overall driving machine. As i previously stated this is currently my dd so id like to keep the power reasonable below 2k rpms for around town driving because i dont really go over that just driving from light to light and dont want to be spinning the tires everytime i leave a light. I wouldnt say i have a price limit but i do work for what i have so nothing outrageous.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

BTW to anyone reading, i am open to ideas on how to improve the build, im not set in my ways per say. Trying to get the best overall driving machine. As i previously stated this is currently my dd so id like to keep the power reasonable below 2k rpms for around town driving because i dont really go over that just driving from light to light and dont want to be spinning the tires everytime i leave a light. I wouldnt say i have a price limit but i do work for what i have so nothing outrageous.
If I was to look at doing something different in my build, I'd look at Tooley SLR lifters. I'm running LS7's and they can get noisy. Also, just to restate, you'll want a larger cam. The cam I'm running is great with these cubes. It's reasonably powerful below 5500, and screams above that!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Ohh i guess i havnt mentioned yet!! i have johnson intermediate travel linkbars... they are at the post office waiting for me to pick them up... been outa town, ill grab tomorrow and post pics
Old 03-12-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohh i guess i havnt mentioned yet!! i have johnson intermediate travel linkbars... they are at the post office waiting for me to pick them up... been outa town, ill grab tomorrow and post pics
Nice! Those won't turn on you!
Old 03-12-2014, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

only thing i dont have yet is head studs, front cover, oil pan, and throttlebody... i plan to ditch the katech oil pump as well and pick up a schumanns HV pump because i like the options they have and even though not too many people seem to run them, they seem kinda awesome

basically at the end of this im going to have a giant garage sale of parts im not using... including enough t56 parts to put together about 3 of them with varrious options... might have a little oxidation but nothing a lil cleaning cant fix... downsides to living on the beach... that and the humidity condensation is ruining my paint. it gets under the clear coat and bubbles up and flakes.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Here is some micro LED's i ordered

They are on a PCB with a common annode. I am hoping to be able to do some clever wiring and use them as indicator lights but putting them behind my gauge face and put 5 small holes in it foe the lights to come through. I will have to build a small board with resisters to significantly drove the input voltage with a bunch of resistors and i was think them i would attach them
1) 2nd fuel pump
2) transmission circulating pump
3) nitrous 1st stage
4) nitrous 2nd stage
5) oil cooler fan should i install one

this way i can quickly confirm that everything that is suppose to come on automatically actually did and shut it down if it didnt
Old 03-12-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

only thing i dont have yet is head studs, front cover, oil pan, and throttlebody... i plan to ditch the katech oil pump as well and pick up a schumanns HV pump because i like the options they have and even though not too many people seem to run them, they seem kinda awesome

basically at the end of this im going to have a giant garage sale of parts im not using... including enough t56 parts to put together about 3 of them with varrious options... might have a little oxidation but nothing a lil cleaning cant fix... downsides to living on the beach... that and the humidity condensation is ruining my paint. it gets under the clear coat and bubbles up and flakes.
I'll be having a garage sale myself soon.....

Extra parts everywhere!
Old 03-12-2014, 11:08 PM
TECH Resident

I am also not entirely sure your number predictions are correct. It seems on CF that a lot of people running the 110 with wcch stage 2 heads and supporting mods(fast 102, NW 102, headers, ext) and making between 575-600rwhp... I was hoping with the extra cubes and the bumped compression I could make the same on the 116 version... I could be off on my logic though because in all honesty, although I've owned camaro for 12 years I'm not a cam/motor expert... Or well an engineer of any kind
Old 03-12-2014, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am also not entirely sure your number predictions are correct. It seems on CF that a lot of people running the 110 with wcch stage 2 heads and supporting mods(fast 102, NW 102, headers, ext) and making between 575-600rwhp... I was hoping with the extra cubes and the bumped compression I could make the same on the 116 version... I could be off on my logic though because in all honesty, although I've owned camaro for 12 years I'm not a cam/motor expert... Or well an engineer of any kind
I'm only making my guesstimate off of my dad's C6Z that 554 w/ headers, torquer 116, and PRC ported LS7's. Also, have a friend (C6Z) with WCCH stage 2's, torquer 116, and headers that made 552. So it's a rough guesstimate. Your compression, and extra cubes will account for a little more for sure. If you run E85, that'll be worth 20+. Really, though the main reason to change cams would be due to detonation concerns on pump IMO. That's why I changes at first myself. My static being as high as it was, caused me to rethink the 110 I was going to use.

From what I've seen, been told, and read, on the LS7 the Fast doesn't gain any peak HP over the stock intake. You'll gain some on torque below the curve, but really torque will be the last of our concerns. Also, look at the dyno curves on the 116 and 110, compared to the K501. The 116 is out of gas at 66-6800, the 110- 64-6600. They're called torquer for a reason, they have low end grunt, but run out of steam up top. The K501 will pull to 7300 and honestly give you better driving characteristics down low IMO than the torquers will. For instance, my dad's Z can get flat out unruly on a 30 punch in 2nd. The butt comes out, and it's like you're riding on marbles. Where as, mine plants and goes! Power is linear, but comes online a freight train above 5! I don't blow the tires off it.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Haha, man such options/questions... What to do, what to do
Old 03-13-2014, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

That cam 427 sounds badass. Traction is key to being fast lol. Sucks blowing off tires. Better get daddy o to get some radials lol.

Also maroon and 427.. interested in the extra parts...name them all.. If u guys can shoot a pm lmk.. I interested in t56 parts as well

Btw I'm going be using vp 104 unleaded race fuel in mine.. thot about doing 13.1 cr and using the corn. But wasn't sure if wanted to pay for extra parts and buying bigger injectors. Running 60s now.. well going to be. Guess us 3 have very similar builds. Kinda cool to me lol
Old 03-13-2014, 02:11 AM
TECH Regular

Haha, man such options/questions... What to do, what to do

All depends on what u want to do with the car and driveability.. but we know it's ur dd so how much power u wanting to try make? What fuel? Interested in ur build as well. Very cool
Old 03-13-2014, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

This is a mixed fuel car, as you can see in the pics I installed an ethanol sensor that will tell me exactly what I'm running because e85 can be anything from e60-e90. At this point even though I have never tuned before I will probably either get efi live because it's a hand held or HP and a tablet to keep in the car and then I can save multiple tunes for my needs. It is a dual flash pcm so I figure I'll keep one 93 octane all the time and then I'll switch up the other for whatever I'm running at the time. The goal of this build was to see if it was possible to build a car that has extremely impressive numbers but drives no different than factory because I've heard it can't be done. Figured it would be a challenge. Right now I'm doing a pretty good job, was never able to get the 9" completely quiet though which is disappointing, I may come back to it later because right now the exhaust covers it up at most speeds and anything over 1600rpm.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ws6guy27
That cam 427 sounds badass. Traction is key to being fast lol. Sucks blowing off tires. Better get daddy o to get some radials lol.

Also maroon and 427.. interested in the extra parts...name them all.. If u guys can shoot a pm lmk.. I interested in t56 parts as well

Btw I'm going be using vp 104 unleaded race fuel in mine.. thot about doing 13.1 cr and using the corn. But wasn't sure if wanted to pay for extra parts and buying bigger injectors. Running 60s now.. well going to be. Guess us 3 have very similar builds. Kinda cool to me lol
And I have another Vette friend that's doing either a ERL 434, or larger here in the next month or so! As for injectors, I'll let you know what my cycle duties are after my dyno. I'm using 52# injectors, but only running pump.... And I may taste 100 for an event or something, but nothing more E85 would require more injector in the duty cycle is pretty high already. I'd imagine 60's would be ok as long as you're not laying a huge shot to it.

Also, I need to sit down and get the parts organized in the next couple of weeks. Once I do, I'll let you let you know.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

This is a mixed fuel car, as you can see in the pics I installed an ethanol sensor that will tell me exactly what I'm running because e85 can be anything from e60-e90. At this point even though I have never tuned before I will probably either get efi live because it's a hand held or HP and a tablet to keep in the car and then I can save multiple tunes for my needs. It is a dual flash pcm so I figure I'll keep one 93 octane all the time and then I'll switch up the other for whatever I'm running at the time. The goal of this build was to see if it was possible to build a car that has extremely impressive numbers but drives no different than factory because I've heard it can't be done. Figured it would be a challenge. Right now I'm doing a pretty good job, was never able to get the 9" completely quiet though which is disappointing, I may come back to it later because right now the exhaust covers it up at most speeds and anything over 1600rpm.
That is going to be cool with the ethanol sensor! Where in the interior are you going to locate it? I really like that thought as a possible up grade in the future.

Quick Reply: Garage Built LS7