Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

"Cathedral" or Rectangular" Cylinder Heads ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotofab, Kooks LTH's, 223/232 .625/.598 112 +0 cam, heads ported, polished, decked .030", .036" cometic head gaskets, ported/polished intake by Rick, ported TB, 2800 Coan Triple disc converter, ZL1 fuel pump, LS9 valve train w/PAC-1219x springs, LS7 MAF, ported throttle body.

My compression is between 11.7-11.8:1 and we did end up fly cutting the pistons even though we had plenty of clearance. I am going to switch over to a vararam intake and install a set of tri-y headers (better power through the curve) and put in a set of 3.27 or 3.45 gears and I will hit 10's with that.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:28 AM
Teching In

I like the sound of that but how can you be sure that similar spec rectangular port heads would not provide a similar result (if not better)?

Looking at the flow charts on their website they do outflow my budget CNC LS3 heads but aren't they like twice the price?

If anyone has heads to sell me please PM me, I really want the best from this combo but new heads dont fit the budget, used heads will though.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:42 PM
Teching In

heads are only part of the equation with a proper L92 setup. The cam is the most important part as bigger cams with these heads on a 4.000" bore setup may yield a higher peak HP but will suffer greatly though the low and mid range as they are incredibly sensitive to timing events.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by rocket69GTP
heads are only part of the equation with a proper L92 setup. The cam is the most important part as bigger cams with these heads on a 4.000" bore setup may yield a higher peak HP but will suffer greatly though the low and mid range as they are incredibly sensitive to timing events.
That is the main reason that I have decided to go with the PRC 225cc "As-Cast" CNC Cathedral Port heads from Texas Speed on my motor.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:40 AM
Teching In

OK this is where I also hit a hurdle, rocket - are you saying that cathederal heads are less sensitive to valve timing? I know flow numbers are not the be-all-and-end-all obviously but cathederals just seem to flow so much less than LS3 style heads, though there are some nice cathederal heads on the used market. Definitely worth a look.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:54 AM
KCS

Received 314 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by aussie-revhead
OK this is where I also hit a hurdle, rocket - are you saying that cathederal heads are less sensitive to valve timing? I know flow numbers are not the be-all-and-end-all obviously but cathederals just seem to flow so much less than LS3 style heads, though there are some nice cathederal heads on the used market. Definitely worth a look.

I would agree with that. The L92 style heads are too big for most applications so the cam timing band aids that. If you don't nail down the cam just right, then overall power takes a hit.

Cathedral heads have much smaller ports, but are more appropriately sized for engines under 400ci (unless you use a big aftermarket casting). They tend to be more forgiving to valve events that are not optimal.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:45 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KCS
I would agree with that. The L92 style heads are too big for most applications so the cam timing band aids that. If you don't nail down the cam just right, then overall power takes a hit.

Cathedral heads have much smaller ports, but are more appropriately sized for engines under 400ci (unless you use a big aftermarket casting). They tend to be more forgiving to valve events that are not optimal.
I am sticking with the rectangular port heads purely for value, I managed to sell my Pro Comp heads and bought a pair of GMPP CNC LS3 heads. Even used AFR cathedral heads cost much more than my brand new LS3 heads, but I am researching cam options carefully before I buy.

:
Old 05-13-2014, 09:26 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If you were to take two identical 400-420 in shortblocks and put a correclty set of ported cathedral port heads on one and factory casting ls3 on the other,with the correct cam events for both,as well as a intake sufficient of feeding both engines needs,you wouldnt see any difference in the two
Now aftermarket square port heads on a large cubic inch engine would have a power advantage, but ,they arent always cost effective
The correct combo will aways make the most power regardless of the choice in port design
Old 05-13-2014, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crossbreed383
If you were to take two identical 400-420 in shortblocks and put a correclty set of ported cathedral port heads on one and factory casting ls3 on the other,with the correct cam events for both,as well as a intake sufficient of feeding both engines needs,you wouldnt see any difference in the two
Now aftermarket square port heads on a large cubic inch engine would have a power advantage, but ,they arent always cost effective
The correct combo will aways make the most power regardless of the choice in port design
Im sure you are right, but choosing the correct cam isn't easy and its costly to change if you don't like the result.

Old 05-14-2014, 08:45 AM
On The Tree

How would you know you didnt like the results of a "certain cam", unless you took the time to match everything else in the combo to it,tested things as far as you could,found honest repeatable data,then made a change and started all over again?
To many times people chase the "part" and not the "combination"
Good luck
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bozzhawg
Wow, I see you have changed and grown over the years.
Ok ,im not sure what the heck this means but,i am a little grayer
Old 05-14-2014, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by crossbreed383
How would you know you didnt like the results of a "certain cam", unless you took the time to match everything else in the combo to it,tested things as far as you could,found honest repeatable data,then made a change and started all over again?
Of course, this is my point. Once you assemble, tune and drive an engine then how do you know if its under performing or would be capable of more power/ better drivability unless you change parts and try again? This development stage is costly, time consuming and very rewarding but isnt likely to happen on a daily driver (unless its very bad).

Originally Posted by crossbreed33
Too many times people chase the "part" and not the "combination"
Good luck
People chase parts and combinations, this is why we research before we buy. I have my combination, mostly basic stuff limited by budget, so the camshaft is the last and most influential variable left to complete my combination. Best to research as much as I can now than decide later I bought the wrong part, this might still happen anyway.

Quick Reply: "Cathedral" or Rectangular" Cylinder Heads ?