Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

building a 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014 | 02:17 PM
Teching In

Default building a 5.3

Hello ls1 tech,

I have made a thread similar to this in the past but some new questions have come to mind. I am building an L33 to put in a 350z. I planned to keep it NA but after some research and input from others it seems that I will not reach my power goals with an NA 5.3. I want to reach at least 400rwhp or more. not flywheel hp... who counts flywheel Hp anyway? So I've done a little looking into turboing the 5.3 to make some power But I don't want reliability issues and won't have the money to fully build an engine and build a turbo kit. So which do you all recommend? Build for NA or turbo on low psi and do minimal upgrades to the engine to handle the boost?

Thanks
Old 02-11-2014 | 02:33 PM
Teching In

why not just do a cam with headwork (mill 'em a bit to raise compression), and a plate nitrous setup?

350-375 at the wheels, and the torque that'll come with it, is going to be a LOT more fun than the stock VQ. add the 75-100 shot for when you want more fun.
Old 02-11-2014 | 02:42 PM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Redlin3z
Hello ls1 tech,

I have made a thread similar to this in the past but some new questions have come to mind. I am building an L33 to put in a 350z. I planned to keep it NA but after some research and input from others it seems that I will not reach my power goals with an NA 5.3. I want to reach at least 400rwhp or more. not flywheel hp... who counts flywheel Hp anyway? So I've done a little looking into turboing the 5.3 to make some power But I don't want reliability issues and won't have the money to fully build an engine and build a turbo kit. So which do you all recommend? Build for NA or turbo on low psi and do minimal upgrades to the engine to handle the boost?

Thanks
The stock 5.3L won't have any problems with boost for 400whp. I don't know how much research you've really done, but they have been know to handle a lot more power...

If you were to build it for 400whp without a power adder, it would be very simple to bore and hone the block to 3.898" and use a stock LS1 rotating assembly. Then you really just need the basic bolt ons and a cam swap to hit 400whp.

Either plan would be similar in cost, I would think.
Old 02-12-2014 | 12:19 PM
Teching In

I've thought about nitrous as an option but am not all that excited to go that route. I would rather turbo it and shoot for closer to 500rwhp or just have it all motor and raise the compression run e85 and get as close to 400hp that I can. As far as turboing I have read that you can boost a stock 5.3 but it's not very safe. Most say to swap the rod bolts and head bolts out for arp and it will be fine. But I've not actually seen anyone actually doing it and how long they have run it.
Old 02-12-2014 | 01:23 PM
Teching In

or just have it all motor and raise the compression run e85 and get as close to 400hp that I can.
that's far more attainable than you may think.

not sure if you've seen this oldie but goodie, but it's a good base from which to start.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html
Old 02-12-2014 | 06:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by armedferret
that's far more attainable than you may think.

not sure if you've seen this oldie but goodie, but it's a good base from which to start.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...e/viewall.html

I have seen this article. All the power they make is on an engine Dyno. But it does look good. If I where Building my L33 for NA power I was looking to get TSP Cam Upgrade Kit 228r 112lsa not sure if I want dual valve springs or single? Also comes with chromoly Push Rods And I Would Get Ls7 lifters and arp rod bolts. Mill the head down for some extra compression And Possibly Run e85. If I where boosting it, I would only do rod bolts head studs and add a turbo kit. So I'm having trouble deciding. Turbo means more power but more cost with tuning and of course the kit it self. I not sure which is the better for me.
Old 02-12-2014 | 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've thought about nitrous as an option but am not all that excited to go that route. I would rather turbo it and shoot for closer to 500rwhp or just have it all motor and raise the compression run e85 and get as close to 400hp that I can. As far as turboing I have read that you can boost a stock 5.3 but it's not very safe. Most say to swap the rod bolts and head bolts out for arp and it will be fine. But I've not actually seen anyone actually doing it and how long they have run it.
Don't really think your are doing as much research as you claim.. The STOCK BOTTOM 5.3 is probably one of the most sought after boosted motors around. Everyone, including me, has had great luck with an untouched bottom. Go to the FI section of this forum if you want some real world results and not what people assume.. Good luck in whatever you decide to do though!
Old 02-12-2014 | 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have seen this article. All the power they make is on an engine Dyno. But it does look good. If I where Building my L33 for NA power I was looking to get TSP Cam Upgrade Kit 228r 112lsa not sure if I want dual valve springs or single? Also comes with chromoly Push Rods And I Would Get Ls7 lifters and arp rod bolts. Mill the head down for some extra compression And Possibly Run e85. If I where boosting it, I would only do rod bolts head studs and add a turbo kit. So I'm having trouble deciding. Turbo means more power but more cost with tuning and of course the kit it self. I not sure which is the better for me.
If your content on 400hp, start with a cam and intake if your on a budget. Heads would definately put you over the mark but you would be close without them. Why rod bolts NA? No need.. Boost is addicting. You won't quit until something blows and then you'll build it bigger and blow something else.
Old 02-12-2014 | 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm pretty sure a 5.3 can get to 400rwhp naturally aspirated with OEM castings.

Get the heads ported and milled, a nice cam with a FAST intake and you should easily reach 400 with all other bolt ons (udp, headers, cai etc). Just make sure to get good compression and to go with a well matched cam.
Old 02-13-2014 | 08:42 AM
Teching In

I have seen this article. All the power they make is on an engine Dyno.
And yields just a c-hair shy of 400 whp when you figure drivetrain loss.

If I where Building my L33 for NA power I was looking to get TSP Cam Upgrade Kit 228r 112lsa not sure if I want dual valve springs or single?
That's probably best answered by TSP (and they're happy to talk to you at length about such things) but beehive should work. Ultimately, it's not duration or LSA that determines which springs you want, it's lift. That said, dual would just give you a little more mental assurance, and the ability to just swap to a larger one later if you decide to.

As for E85, make sure you update your fuel system to handle it. The ethanol runs a higher risk of corroding things quicker, and the Z wasn't intended to be run on E85. Plenty of guys on the Z boards had issues with seals and pipes deteriorating within a few months of starting to use it without replacing/updating with appropriate kit.

Quick Reply: building a 5.3