Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014 | 04:24 AM
Teching In

Default oil leak

I'm experiencing a real bad oil leak underneath my car at the back of the oil pan and in front of the transmission I'm assuming it's the rear main seal that has gon bad..... I have done some research on it and I find that it's rare for the seal to go bad on these cars (2000 z28) any suggestions before I decide to drop the transmission and it not be the main seal that is messed up .
Old 07-21-2014 | 04:55 AM
TECH Resident

I thought I had a leak and it was actually my pcv line broke behind the manifold and oil was running down the back of the motor. Probably not your problem but you never know
Old 07-21-2014 | 02:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I thought I had a leak and it was actually my pcv line broke behind the manifold and oil was running down the back of the motor. Probably not your problem but you never know
Ye i don't think it's the pcv hoses I've already changed that
Old 07-21-2014 | 10:30 PM
74u
TECH Regular

Rule out all other oil sources (oil pressure sending unit behind intake manifold, back of valve covers, etc).

If you go after the rear main make sure to check the welch plug in the end of the crank while you are there. Also the rear cover (which the main is pressed into).

Lots of possible leak points back there. Mine was leaking from the plug I mentioned...wrecked my clutch.

Quick Reply: oil leak