Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Switching from Hyd roller to solid roller

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 03:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching from Hyd roller to solid roller

Is there a rule if thumb to upgrade from Hyd to solid.

Cam is a Bullet 264/277 649/618 lift on 109lsa this was good for 750+ hp on E85

It's been recommended that I go 274/288 772/748 lift on 114lsa looking to hp around the 850hp

Engine is 427ci 13 to 1, mast 285cc ls7 heads, mast Cnc ls7 manifold, 1170cfm Sv1 carb etc etc
Old 08-25-2014, 05:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I say same valve springs likely will do, go with TD machine or Jesel 1.8 or 1.85 ratio adjustable shaft rockers.

Chris at Mast may already have the rockers you need, they work directly with TD and Jesel, by the way I have same Heads and Love them.

Love your combo dr, please do this, Go to Camhelp@guerragroup.com and pay $25. from there the software will take you to a long questionnaire about everything from intake runner length to header primary diameter car weight transmission gear ratio tire size intake runner cc exhaust runner cc and cfm flow type of rockers, rocker ratio, you get the drift live your info, Patrick G will call you in a day or two with any other questions he may have then he will make a computer software camshaft profile of what will take to get what you want.

In my opinion the best deal in high performance there is, I say by all means try the profile he recommends even if it looks too small to get the job done, you will be surprise and regarded, is what the front runners do in competition today.

Have Comp cams grind the cam, Patrick have friends that do it else but they take too long, Comp cams have it at your shop in a week.

Don't hesitate going with a circle track lobe profile if he subjests, they are easy on the valve train and make incredible power.

I wouldn't be surprise if he uses a smaller profile then you think to accomplish what you want.

Recommend these solid lifters;

http://www.compcams.com/Products/CC-...ce'-0.aspx

Let us know how it goes, David.

Last edited by CAMSTER; 08-25-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There really isn't a rule of thumb when switching. Most are after more power and have a cam designed to suit. You'll need to look at your entire valvetrain & induction and decide what you want to do. To get the most out of either setup costs money. You have a lot of great parts. The basics are you'll need adjustable rockers (Jesel or Crower), good springs, good pushrods, and a cam designed for what you have and want to do. I choose Ed Curtis for my camshaft because of his experience with the heads and the results at the track. Here's what he designed for me https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...haft-****.html .
Old 08-25-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr ls7
Is there a rule if thumb to upgrade from Hyd to solid.

Cam is a Bullet 264/277 649/618 lift on 109lsa this was good for 750+ hp on E85

It's been recommended that I go 274/288 772/748 lift on 114lsa looking to hp around the 850hp

Engine is 427ci 13 to 1, mast 285cc ls7 heads, mast Cnc ls7 manifold, 1170cfm Sv1 carb etc etc
You can convert a hyd over to a solid and have the same valve motion if you want. The solid will make more power than the hyd even if the valve motion is the same. The solid lifter cam should be speced to your complete combination not based on the hyd you were running.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Specs for 13 to 1 compression on e85 440Ci street build...

Solid roller 249 / 256 .688" .686 113LSA +2 advance with 1.8 ratio rockers.

On this chart we did not have the full power we made with that cam after injectors were properly reconfigured, at which time we returned to the dino to find that the extra power was not showing due to a much higher numerical ratio diff gear change we had.

Judging by what we experienced the engine picked up at list another 45 or 50 whp, rite after I went to try out the engine went to limiter and we new was making a lot more power so we maxed out the transmission line pressure and was perfectly changing gears on time after.

Here is the before fuel injectors reconfigured dino chart. See post #79 on page 4 of that thread.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...pic-pg3-4.html
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kip Fabre
You can convert a hyd over to a solid and have the same valve motion if you want. The solid will make more power than the hyd even if the valve motion is the same. The solid lifter cam should be speced to your complete combination not based on the hyd you were running.
This guy was my second choice to design a cam. I picked Ed due to his direct experience with ETP/MAST heads. Take a look at Kip or Ed's work and the results speak for themselves. It's a shame that either designer's best work can't be shown to the general public. The point I'm making is very simple. Don't skimp on one of the most critical components of your build. Spending a little more to get a high quality cam specifically for your build is a no-brainer.

This cam: Solid roller 249 / 256 .688" .686 113LSA +2 advance with 1.8 ratio rockers is pretty small for a 13:1 440. A somewhat comparable solid profile has around 20* more duration @ .050. Did you have a problem with knock? It should definitely make some torque.
Old 08-25-2014, 05:54 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8pwr
This guy was my second choice to design a cam. I picked Ed due to his direct experience with ETP/MAST heads. Take a look at Kip or Ed's work and the results speak for themselves. It's a shame that either designer's best work can't be shown to the general public. The point I'm making is very simple. Don't skimp on one of the most critical components of your build. Spending a little more to get a high quality cam specifically for your build is a no-brainer.

This cam: Solid roller 249 / 256 .688" .686 113LSA +2 advance with 1.8 ratio rockers is pretty small for a 13:1 440. A somewhat comparable solid profile has around 20* more duration @ .050. Did you have a problem with knock? It should definitely make some torque.
Torque-monster for sure!!!!
Old 08-25-2014, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by v8pwr

No knock ever E85 running 27* total advance @ WOT, small cam indeed shifting points at 6,700, on that pull went from 3,700 to 7,300 rpm which is rev limiter territory.

I do believe a cam change on these engine along with a Mast LS7 intake and larger throttle body will net easy extra hundred horse power but is so docile on street I won't bother. I can drive it everywhere never see over 205 degrees coolant temps.

I will just add this for OP, you'll love change to solid lifter for what you are doing.

Quick Reply: Switching from Hyd roller to solid roller