416 LS3 Build Underway (Pics inside) - Page 35 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion



Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

416 LS3 Build Underway (Pics inside)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2017, 11:15 PM   #681
Super Hulk Smash
iTrader: (7)
 
JakeFusion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Pace, FL
Posts: 9,919
Default

Kickass numbers! Congrats man. Good build.
JakeFusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #682
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood View Post


I personally think it's the best cast single four intake out on the market. The gains that have been seen going from the other regularly offered manifolds to the CID have been pretty impressive. That said, the major determining factor in how large the gains have been comes down to curtain area. Basically how much flow area the engine is seeing from valve diameter and valve lift.

The heads you have flow quite a bit of air, and they do also flow well at higher lifts. When you increase the area of the intake runner and the plenum volume on an engine that is built like this you can see substantial gains at higher engine speeds.
I did not know that CID came out with these intake manifolds. They are a two-piece intake as well and priced well below the intake I have. But I don't think it will make any significant gains from my present set up. Very nice intake though, and something to consider for someone starting a build project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeFusion View Post
Kickass numbers! Congrats man. Good build.
Thanks. We'll see how she does at the track come Spring.
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #683
Launching!
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 269
Default

Beautiful car man! Who's tuned this monster?
80/TA/LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #684
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Martin Smallwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mcleansville, NC
Posts: 576
Default

On set-ups similar to yours with the size camshaft and compression your engine has, you'd probably see a 20-25hp increase.

Something to think about if you wanted more out of it.
Martin Smallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #685
TECH Fanatic
 
big hammer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: over dere
Posts: 1,616
Default

Awesome build man. What are the cam specs?
big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:56 PM   #686
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80/TA/LT1 View Post
Beautiful car man! Who's tuned this monster?
It was recently tuned by Jim Moran at Speed Inc. Initial tuning was done by someone else. Thanks for the compliment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubbzz View Post
I'll let u know when my new build is done in the Spring :
Great, can't wait to see your results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big hammer View Post
Awesome build man. What are the cam specs?
260's/280's Thanks for looking.

Last edited by BOLO; 03-13-2017 at 08:06 PM.
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 08:02 PM   #687
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood View Post
On set-ups similar to yours with the size camshaft and compression your engine has, you'd probably see a 20-25hp increase.

Something to think about if you wanted more out of it.
Martin thats a significant gain to be had, and yes, more is always good. What does this intake have that my intake does not compare?
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 11:40 PM   #688
11 Second Club
 
Launch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 283
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood View Post
On set-ups similar to yours with the size camshaft and compression your engine has, you'd probably see a 20-25hp increase.

Something to think about if you wanted more out of it.
That intake by CID definitely looks the goods, similar in appearance to a SB2 intake

20-25hp gain is a lot though from what Bolo already has

Would need some 1/4 mile runs back to back with both intakes to see the real difference
Launch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #689
LS1Tech Sponsor
iTrader: (2)
 
Martin Smallwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Mcleansville, NC
Posts: 576
Default

There was a 360" LS7 headed engine with .850+ lift that gained 50hp peak to peak and 60+hp past peak going from a hand finished (the Mast intakes are CNC from Mast) Mast 4500 intake to an out of the box (CID intakes are as cast not CNC) CID 4500 intake. It didn't lose anything under the curve in the operating range of this engine which was 4000-7500RPM. It even increased power as low as 4000rpm and never once made less than the Mast intake from 4000-7500RPM across the entire RPM range, not just at 6000+.



John@CID has told me on engines with less than .700 lift it's not worth it, and even in the low .700 lift range the gains won't be substantial. If the valve lift isn't providing enough flow and area at the valve for the larger cross section and plenum of the CID intake to shine then the gains will be decreased drastically. It is possible for BOLO to see gains of at least 15-20hp IMO with the lift and duration of his camshaft and where the engine is making peak power currently.

With .750" lift at the valve, it's possible he could see the gains mentioned.

Last edited by Martin Smallwood; 03-15-2017 at 12:17 PM.
Martin Smallwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:01 PM   #690
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Launch View Post
That intake by CID definitely looks the goods, similar in appearance to a SB2 intake

20-25hp gain is a lot though from what Bolo already has

Would need some 1/4 mile runs back to back with both intakes to see the real difference
That would be some gain of power. And yes, I will definitely see what she does at the track as it is right now before even thinking of changing anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Smallwood View Post
There was a 360" LS7 headed engine with .850+ lift that gained 50hp peak to peak and 60+hp past peak going from a hand finished (the Mast intakes are CNC from Mast) Mast 4500 intake to an out of the box (CID intakes are as cast not CNC) CID 4500 intake. It didn't lose anything under the curve in the operating range of this engine which was 4000-7500RPM. It even increased power as low as 4000rpm and never once made less than the Mast intake from 4000-7500RPM across the entire RPM range, not just at 6000+.



John@CID has told me on engines with less than .700 lift it's not worth it, and even in the low .700 lift range the gains won't be substantial. If the valve lift isn't providing enough flow and area at the valve for the larger cross section and plenum of the CID intake to shine then the gains will be decreased drastically. It is possible for BOLO to see gains of at least 15-20hp IMO with the lift and duration of his camshaft and where the engine is making peak power currently.

With .750" lift at the valve, it's possible he could see the gains mentioned.
Sounds good Martin, but as mentioned, I have to see and run what I have right now and go from there. But i will get back with you soon. And as always, thanks for looking in.

Last edited by BOLO; 03-31-2017 at 09:23 PM.
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM   #691
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Getting it ready for track testing. Here's a short idle/rev video.
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:32 PM   #692
TECH Addict
iTrader: (64)
 
blk00ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Jasper, AL
Posts: 2,017
Default

Man I'm excited to see some times from this unit!
blk00ss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #693
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
A.R. Shale Targa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredonia,WI
Posts: 2,985
Default

Cackle AND snap. Rather insane what's kicking them slugs !!!!!!
A.R. Shale Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #694
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk00ss View Post
Man I'm excited to see some times from this unit!
I'm going to see if I can get to the track this Sunday. I'm still waiting on my new 5 pt seat harness, install fresh spark plugs, check valve lash and fresh oil/filter. Should be good to go

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa View Post
Cackle AND snap. Rather insane what's kicking them slugs !!!!!!
260's/280's LLSR

Last edited by BOLO; 04-06-2017 at 07:40 PM.
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:26 AM   #695
Staging Lane
 
Rudy72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Norcal
Posts: 76
Default

Great build, look forward to seeing that E.T. & MPH and see how strong she performs!! Enjoy
Rudy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 11:20 PM   #696
12 Second Club
 
manzo81maro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 199
Default

Amazing build sir! Congrats on numbers and getting her done!
Sounds super strong...looking forward to track results
manzo81maro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:54 AM   #697
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

UPDATE:
Car never made it for track testing. Trans is toast from just making some test runs around the back roads. Looking into a built TH400 RMVB with a trans brake, new stall, driveshaft,shifter, and trans cross mount. This thing never ends.LOL.
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:35 PM   #698
11 Second Club
iTrader: (2)
 
A.R. Shale Targa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Fredonia,WI
Posts: 2,985
Default

Sucks to hear that man......mine did a two gear burnout at the Grove (with NO wheel-hop) before shitting the rear end guts all over the starting line; and I'm making nowhere near the power of yours.......great sport hey
A.R. Shale Targa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #699
TECH Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 1,198
Default

"Speed costs money, how fast ya wanna go???"
G Atsma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 07:30 AM   #700
10 Second Club
Thread Starter
iTrader: (40)
 
BOLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Mundelein,Illinois
Posts: 3,022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R. Shale Targa View Post
Sucks to hear that man......mine did a two gear burnout at the Grove (with NO wheel-hop) before shitting the rear end guts all over the starting line; and I'm making nowhere near the power of yours.......great sport hey
It's a great expensive hobby thats for sure. But it keeps me out of trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Atsma View Post
"Speed costs money, how fast ya wanna go???"
Goal is 9's all muscle!
BOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Re-Pin O2 Connector tracetrimble Conversions & Hybrids 16 07-17-2017 06:16 AM
My 99 Camaro build CaptainSavage Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 29 07-04-2017 12:15 PM
Finally in an Ls1 car! ChazWhiteZ28- New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech 10 06-18-2017 06:55 PM
Custom t6 turbo kit for foxbody with a/c Inbred Parts Classifieds 10 06-15-2017 02:54 PM


Tags
build, ls3, thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: