Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Please help me diagnose this noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me diagnose this noise

Guys,

I need some help here. I've done everything short of pulling the heads here and I cannot for the life of me find where this noise is coming from. I'm thinking a lifter, but again I can pinpoint it with my stethoscope. I can pick up a hint of it through the header, but again, I can't pinpoint it. Since I can hear it out the exhaust, I thought for sure it was an exhaust leak, but I've pulled apart the whole exhaust, lubed hangers, replaced header gaskets, and even added arp studs. I pulled the whole exhaust system and you can even hear it open header. I'm at a loss here. It would be easier if I still had access to a lift, but where I live now I don't even have a garage.

Here are three videos, on the third you can clearly hear it when spark/fuel is killed.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Bump for a great annoyance
Old 01-12-2015, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heres a Old trick get a wooden stick and place it near the sound of the noise and listen. I couldn't hear it that well maybe from to much artillery back in my Army days.:-)
Old 01-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lil john
Heres a Old trick get a wooden stick and place it near the sound of the noise and listen. I couldn't hear it that well maybe from to much artillery back in my Army days.:-)
I've tried using my stethoscope everywhere and can't seem to find it. I guess it's possible that it's just the exhaust pulses in the headers, but I have a hard time believing in coincidences. I have yet to hear this noise on any LS motor with the same mods, or period for that matter.

I have a feeling I'm just going to end up pulling the heads to be sure. I'd rather not considering the car is only 7 months old with 5000 miles. I guess it gives me an excuse to do more work while I'm in there.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, it just sounds like resonance from the valvetrain. What length pushrods are you running? maybe going just slightly longer would help cut it down some since you have an aftermarket cam. hard to really tell in videos.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by moeZ28
Honestly, it just sounds like resonance from the valvetrain. What length pushrods are you running? maybe going just slightly longer would help cut it down some since you have an aftermarket cam. hard to really tell in videos.
7.4 IIRC. It made this noise after header install though. Cam install was later. Sound didn't change. It's more annoying than anything. All I hear is lope lope squeak squeak.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:57 PM
Launching!

Found some rubbing on this pushrod. This was the lifter end. I think this is the cause of my noise, but I'm not sure. Opinions?
Attached Thumbnails Please help me diagnose this noise-20150131_203704.jpg  
Old 02-01-2015, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Try running it without the valve covers. Replace PR if worn or swap to the other side of the engine and flip the PR. See if the noise moves sides.
Old 02-01-2015, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Well the heads are being sent off. I don't think it's the pushrod though because it was making the same noise when stock. I'm just confused as to what it could be rubbing on. No real wear on it other than the light markings. That's the only pushrod like it though. I'm going to check the stock ones when I get home.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is a weird spot for a rub on a pushrod. Are you sure it wasn't there before you installed them...maybe from the pushrods rubbing together in the packaging?
Old 02-02-2015, 01:53 PM
Launching!

They were completely black when new. I agree it is a weird spot. If the lifter was failing I would expect it to be higher than that on the pushrod. I honestly don't have a clue. I'm getting new pushrods, jesel sportsmans, and a solid roller from kip this week. Hopefully all quiet after that. All quiet other than a nasty lope that is...

Quick Reply: Please help me diagnose this noise