Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL 454 Build for Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by 427zm
......Me and ^^^ this guy used the same shop and had almost identical builds. The one thing I'll say: be fore diving off into FRH heads make sure and look for results. As me and Millenium found out my heads didn't perform as well as his PRC's which is indicated by 2 factors: 1) both my HP and Tq #'s were lower and 2) my cam was bigger!......
I don't know FRH from Adam....but I will throw this out:

Almost identical set-up except for heads/cam, with different results doesn't always mean the head work on one system was better than the other system (yes, I know power is primarily determined by the capabilities of the heads).

It's very possible that your bigger cam was too much for the system (compression ratio of your engine). The resulting DCR between the two engines may be 'more telling' to final power output than the difference in the quality of the head work.

Jus' sayin'.....

KW
Old 05-18-2015, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
I don't know FRH from Adam....but I will throw this out:

Almost identical set-up except for heads/cam, with different results doesn't always mean the head work on one system was better than the other system (yes, I know power is primarily determined by the capabilities of the heads).

It's very possible that your bigger cam was too much for the system (compression ratio of your engine). The resulting DCR between the two engines may be 'more telling' to final power output than the difference in the quality of the head work.

Jus' sayin'.....

KW
He changed cams and had one custom tailored for the heads on the motor and the compression by Martin at Tick
Old 05-19-2015, 08:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Briou
Good to see another ERL 454 coming together....I like the call out in the original post haha...I am so ready to get my car together so I can finally see how the engine drives...

My word of advice is to take your time and don't rush the decision making process...make sure you get exactly what you want!
Lol.. You have my dream motor
Old 05-19-2015, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about two years from firing my ERL 454 for the first time.

I just finished the short block a few weeks ago:

I am targeting high HP for road racing but I would just look at what Briou did for any needed motivation. That motor will be a blast to drive.

I have spoken to a number of porters and head manufacturers and Ed Curtis at FlowTech is likely where I'll be doing my business (Mast 305cc).

The PRC 285cc option would be awesome but I am going solid roller and they don't support that quite as well.

Following along!
Old 05-20-2015, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by D9HP

I am targeting high HP for road racing but I would just look at what Briou did for any needed motivation. That motor will be a blast to drive.

I have spoken to a number of porters and head manufacturers and Ed Curtis at FlowTech is likely where I'll be doing my business (Mast 305cc).

The PRC 285cc option would be awesome but I am going solid roller and they don't support that quite as well.

Following along!
Looks badass! I emailed Flowtech for their recommendations/quote so I'll see what they come up with!
Old 05-24-2015, 06:54 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by D9HP

Following along!
All you'd need to do is mill off the rocker stands, its about $300 at a machine shop and TSP may not even charge you, they milled mine before shipping at no cost and they can do that before they ship them.

Both flotech and advanced induction are good choices
Old 05-24-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Regular

Man, looking like its actually cheaper to go supercharged. One day I'll make up my mind.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by korndawg
Man, looking like its actually cheaper to go supercharged. One day I'll make up my mind.
It is. By a long shot.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 427zm
It is. By a long shot.
Finding that out quickly. I want a Whipple but they still get 7k for a new one. Would love to find a corvette owner willing to part with one. Could just buy a new Ls3 crate, but I'm hesitant NOT to go all forged.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Finding that out quickly. I want a Whipple but they still get 7k for a new one. Would love to find a corvette owner willing to part with one. Could just buy a new Ls3 crate, but I'm hesitant NOT to go all forged.
You can do things cheaper or you can do things differently. Neither is wrong. You just have to decide what's important to you. Now I will say the allure of making big power all motor is definitely an attention getter but your apt to be out done by the boost crowd pretty quickly (at least until you decide to spray) .
Old 05-24-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by tadams72
You can do things cheaper or you can do things differently. Neither is wrong. You just have to decide what's important to you. Now I will say the allure of making big power all motor is definitely an attention getter but your apt to be out done by the boost crowd pretty quickly (at least until you decide to spray) .
I hear ya there. I've always been a NA fan. However riding in a 700 hp CTSV was damn intense. If I could build a 700hp/700tq car NA for the same price as supercharged, I'd be all over it.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:17 PM
Teching In

I hear ya there. I've always been a NA fan. However riding in a 700 hp CTSV was damn intense. If I could build a 700hp/700tq car NA for the same price as supercharged, I'd be all over it.
We are trying to figure this out right now as well, BIG NA engine or smaller, (less $$ still forged), blower engine into a 69 Camaro. Love NA, but with all the new Stang's, Camaro's and Vette's bolting on a supercharger and making 550+ rwhp makes it a hard decision. Can't have a nasty sounding Pro Street looking Camaro get walked by a kid in his Stang with the A/C on. LOL!!!

Interested to see what you come up with.

David
Old 05-29-2015, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TriSum
We are trying to figure this out right now as well, BIG NA engine or smaller, (less $$ still forged), blower engine into a 69 Camaro. Love NA, but with all the new Stang's, Camaro's and Vette's bolting on a supercharger and making 550+ rwhp makes it a hard decision. Can't have a nasty sounding Pro Street looking Camaro get walked by a kid in his Stang with the A/C on. LOL!!!

Interested to see what you come up with.

David
I've been beating my head against the wall on this for 2-3 months now. First thought was EFI BBC, then to 454 LS and now to FI LS3. Either direction is gonna cost an easy 15k so it's a decision I can only make once. Nothing beats the sound of a BBC but comes with the weight penalty and 8mpg. LS seems to be the way to go whether FI or NA.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The thing about going N/A LS is that there is less plumbing, easier tuning, lighter weight, etc. as compared to a FI set up....I plan on doing an twin turbo build once my N/A build is done....and then a supercharger build after that....lol so I guess my plan is to have one of everything...

Quick Reply: ERL 454 Build for Torque?