Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2016, 09:04 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Pretty awesome builds you guys got there. I'd love to do a big cubic inch motor after I get mine dialed in and maxed out but more for drag race than road race.

Real nice build thread

Aaron
Old 01-01-2016, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Pretty awesome builds you guys got there. I'd love to do a big cubic inch motor after I get mine dialed in and maxed out but more for drag race than road race.

Real nice build thread

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. I've been following what I believe is your thread on the boosted 383. Not expecting you power level but it should be plenty for NA.

Travis
Old 01-02-2016, 07:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by tadams72
Thanks Aaron. I've been following what I believe is your thread on the boosted 383. Not expecting you power level but it should be plenty for NA.

Travis
Yep that's mine. You don't need my power level for what you like to do. For what I like to do I need more. Can't wait to see what yours produces. I've got a street car on the backburner I'm going to finish eventually. I'd like it to get in the 500-550ish range. Seems to be awesome power for the street. Almost too much but I'll deal with it
Old 01-02-2016, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,

I guess I never posted the specs so here you go.

238/249
.623/.615
113+1
LSL/LXL lobes

Keep in mind this is not a max effort drag car so the cam is likely a little t smaller than many looking for a peak number. This build is meant to motivate a 4000 lb 5th Gen around road tracks. Still expecting a pretty good number but with more cam this thing would definitely peak near 700 at the flywheel.
I've got an ERL 434 in my C5Z06 with PRC heads and a little more cam (about 1700 miles on it), I think you'll do 540-560 but I think you may have a little more torque than I do from your cam though. Sounds great though!
I am getting rid of the stock damper and going to a std drive ATI Super Damper though, stock one has a bit of a wobble and after a lot of 7200 rpm runs the belt tries to walk off.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Millenium Z06
I've got an ERL 434 in my C5Z06 with PRC heads and a little more cam (about 1700 miles on it), I think you'll do 540-560 but I think you may have a little more torque than I do from your cam though. Sounds great though!
I am getting rid of the stock damper and going to a std drive ATI Super Damper though, stock one has a bit of a wobble and after a lot of 7200 rpm runs the belt tries to walk off.
Sorry to hijack the thread but can you give some details on your 434? Witch PRC heads and intake? What kind of power did you make?
Thanks.
Old 01-02-2016, 07:11 PM
TECH Regular

Well the goal was 550 to the wheels and flat torque so anything over is a bonus. Of course it's hard being a road guy to not chase a big number...
Old 01-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jleews6
Sorry to hijack the thread but can you give some details on your 434? Witch PRC heads and intake? What kind of power did you make?
Thanks.
Its an M2 434 bottom end with PR 285 LS7 heads and a ported GM LS7 intake.
Its makes 580 with street tires and 565 with Nitto drag radials (I guess they're heavier, same dyno) and 510 tq, comp is around 12.2:1.
It makes 425 tq at 2500 rpm, I'm using Lg Super Pro catted 1 3/4 headers and suspect that why the tq is so flat and why I'm hesitant to go to 1 7/8 headers.

Edit, cam is a 250/258 .652 113+4 LSL lobes
Old 01-02-2016, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Well the goal was 550 to the wheels and flat torque so anything over is a bonus. Of course it's hard being a road guy to not chase a big number...
I think you'll easily hit that, esp with those heads, torque should be higher than mine, I'd guess 520-535; that pull like a freight train out of corners.
Old 01-02-2016, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

I think you'll easily hit that, esp with those heads, torque should be higher than mine, I'd guess 520-535; that pull like a freight train out of corners.
Well that's what I need to move the weight. Just got to be sure to get it all to the ground. As much as I like drifting it is not so great for lap time on the road course. Probably another month before I am on the dyno and a month after that before the track.
Old 01-03-2016, 08:21 AM
Launching!

Well that's what I need to move the weight. Just got to be sure to get it all to the ground. As much as I like drifting it is not so great for lap time on the road course. Probably another month before I am on the dyno and a month after that before the track.
I assume you're running some track tires like hoosiers or R888's? Street tires aren't going to hook that much torque up
Old 01-03-2016, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

I assume you're running some track tires like hoosiers or R888's? Street tires aren't going to hook that much torque up
Well that's yet to be determined. I've been trying to find another set of Forgestar F14 18x10s so I could run a square Hoosier scrub setup since they are so cheap. I've already got one set from when I was doing the drag race thing.

The other option is to run a Michelin PSS 285/35R20 square setup. I've got some NIB TSW Panorama 20x10s I got a deal on because they were bronze. Tire won't be as grippy as Hoosiers but I can drive it to the track. Either way it is going to be a steep learning curve with this motor and the gear I am running now...
Old 01-03-2016, 12:21 PM
Launching!

Well that's yet to be determined. I've been trying to find another set of Forgestar F14 18x10s so I could run a square Hoosier scrub setup since they are so cheap. I've already got one set from when I was doing the drag race thing.

The other option is to run a Michelin PSS 285/35R20 square setup. I've got some NIB TSW Panorama 20x10s I got a deal on because they were bronze. Tire won't be as grippy as Hoosiers but I can drive it to the track. Either way it is going to be a steep learning curve with this motor and the gear I am running now...
The PSS's might be ok if NOT you're below 3rd coming out of corners, if you are, they wont hook. I have 305/30 PSS's and I wouldn't hammer it coming thru a corner in 2nd unless I was very straight.

You have more weight but with the increased TQ, I dont know that you'll have enough to not spin
Old 01-03-2016, 05:52 PM
TECH Regular

The PSS's might be ok if NOT you're below 3rd coming out of corners, if you are, they wont hook. I have 305/30 PSS's and I wouldn't hammer it coming thru a corner in 2nd unless I was very straight.

You have more weight but with the increased TQ, I dont know that you'll have enough to not spin
Well it depends on the track and the corner. The switch to 4.10s was a bad idea for the road course work. I only did it because I got a screaming deal on a complete DSS/Lingenfelter drivetrain and was drag racing at the time. It's too high of a gear for road course work. Even on the shortest tracks I run here it was too much with the old motor and it was only about 460 RWHP. To easy to get squirmy on the corner exits and too many shifts on the straights. That's why I am looking to a gear change at some point this year.

Did a little more tidy work on the car this weekend and some more data logging. I relocated the expansion tank on the differential to incorporate an external vent tube. Was getting some gear oil smell in the trunk from the old setup.

Did one full throttle run in third to a short 4600 and if my math is correct I only hit a max injector duty cycle of about 38%. That should mean I am sitting pretty good for a full throttle run to redline without issue. Fuel system upgrades should support a move to E85 in the future if I decide to go that route.
Old 01-03-2016, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Well it depends on the track and the corner. The switch to 4.10s was a bad idea for the road course work. I only did it because I got a screaming deal on a complete DSS/Lingenfelter drivetrain and was drag racing at the time. It's too high of a gear for road course work. Even on the shortest tracks I run here it was too much with the old motor and it was only about 460 RWHP. To easy to get squirmy on the corner exits and too many shifts on the straights. That's why I am looking to a gear change at some point this year.

Did a little more tidy work on the car this weekend and some more data logging. I relocated the expansion tank on the differential to incorporate an external vent tube. Was getting some gear oil smell in the trunk from the old setup.

Did one full throttle run in third to a short 4600 and if my math is correct I only hit a max injector duty cycle of about 38%. That should mean I am sitting pretty good for a full throttle run to redline without issue. Fuel system upgrades should support a move to E85 in the future if I decide to go that route.
I'm using FAST 65# injectors, I think I'm around 70% duty cycle IIRC with a C6Z06 fuel pump. Id like to go to e85 but thats too much money
Old 01-03-2016, 09:46 PM
TECH Regular

I'm using FAST 65# injectors, I think I'm around 70% duty cycle IIRC with a C6Z06 fuel pump. Id like to go to e85 but thats too much money
Yeah I am running Fuel Injector Connection Bosch 60 lb/hr 3 bar with a ZL1 pump.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:11 AM
TECH Resident

I am not a huge fan of the nitrous outlet cross overs. Depending on how much clearance you have it can make getting the intake manifold off a bit of a challenge. Other than that make sure you tighten the **** out of all the lines because mine leaked pretty much everywhere on first start up
Old 01-04-2016, 11:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
I am not a huge fan of the nitrous outlet cross overs. Depending on how much clearance you have it can make getting the intake manifold off a bit of a challenge. Other than that make sure you tighten the **** out of all the lines because mine leaked pretty much everywhere on first start up
Guessing you're talking about the steam vent lines. If so, those are all hand bent and installed by me. Manifold clears completely and I have had it on and off several times without removing the vent lines and not a single leak.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Guessing you're talking about the steam vent lines. If so, those are all hand bent and installed by me. Manifold clears completely and I have had it on and off several times without removing the vent lines and not a single leak.
Good, i put my 434 in a 4th gen and the clearance sucked so its kind of a b*tch getting the manifold off. Good choice on pat g and the tune.
Old 01-04-2016, 06:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Good, i put my 434 in a 4th gen and the clearance sucked so its kind of a b*tch getting the manifold off. Good choice on pat g and the tune.
Yeah pretty happy with Pat G. Still in the logging and adjusting stage but in only one revision we are pretty close. Probably one more with some full throttle pulls on the road and dyno to complete the process.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:54 PM
TECH Regular

Talking Dyno Results In!

Well it's been awhile since I did an update. Been busy putting the break in miles in and making little adjustments to the tune, tidying things up, etc. Well I finally had a chance to get a couple pulls in today. Weather was good 72 degrees and bars was 29.95. First pull was made to 6000 just to see how the car would react and check AFR, Knock, etc. All looked good so we cooled the car down for about 10 minutes and made another pull to 7000. All I can say is she got there quick and loud!

Before I give you the numbers, I've got to give a shout out to some folks that made this possible. As many know, I have been singing the praises of Tony Mamo for quite some time. The guy is a genius, meticulous, cool, and a night owl. Tony spec'd a lot of the components on this build based upon my goals. He did a lot of hand porting on the TB, FAST, and TFS 255's. He also spec'd the Comp Cam and valve train components to support the build. Gave me a hell of a deal on everything and then even helped me through the build and troubleshooting. Never once did he back away and wash his hands even though he had my money and I had his parts. You want service and craftsmanship in the LS world, you go to Tony Mamo! Nough said.

Next shout out goes to ERL Performance. Man they build some nice stuff and my 427 Superdeck 1 was almost too pretty to put a set of heads on. A strong foundation was called for on this build and they provided it. Very happy with the customer service and the product. Will definitely use them again on the next LS/LT.

More praise to another company and guy I cannot say enough about. Randy (HAVOC 40) and Johnson Lifters. Randy was key to helping me troubleshoot low compression problem. He even sent me a new set of lifters to swap in to rule them out as the problem (and they were not the problem) :ebb: Again, how many companies do that kind of stuff these days. Thank you Randy and I am still a little embarrassed and sorry to have wasted your time.

Joe (joecar) also helped a ton through troubleshooting and even getting me the proper WBO2 cable for my EFI Live V2 (at no cost)! Genuine nice guy and EFI Live guru.

PatG who has been awesome getting my tune dialed in. I was a little reluctant to go remote tuning again as I did not get such a great result on the old motor but PatG is every bit as good as they all say.

A final shoutout to my lifelong friend Frank Morris (Salt Cat Racing) as he was my inspiration, sounding board, tech line and so much more.

Alright, so to the results. Car made good hp and unreal torque. Dyno was a Dynocom eddy brake load bearing dyno SAE correction. Best pull got me 575 hp @ 5900 and 586 ft lbs @ 4600! Car made over 500 ft lbs of torque from 3200 - 6000 rpm! Very happy with the results. I can only imagine what that peak hp number would have been with a big cam in it. Anyhow, In the beginning I told Tony I want 550 rwhp and a nice fat torque curve. Id say we nailed it. I'll post some video of the pull this weekend but in the mean time here is the dyno sheet! Now it's time for some celebration...
Attached Thumbnails ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)-img_2545.jpg  

Last edited by tadams72; 03-05-2016 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Fixed typo

Quick Reply: ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)