Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 600 Likes on 476 Posts

Wow. Now drive it down to the shop Tony uses to dyno. LOL. Westtech isn't it?

How does it feel on the street? Cam specs?
Old 03-05-2016, 09:00 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Wow. Now drive it down to the shop Tony uses to dyno. LOL. Westtech isn't it?

How does it feel on the street? Cam specs?
How does it feel? Too much for the tires on it at the moment. I've created a new problem. I built this motor for road track duty. I have some 20x10 wheels and planned to run 285s on all four corners for best balance and ability to rotate the tires. Yeah, 285s aren't going to be nearly enough meat!

Cam is pretty conservative for the motor. If we were going for peak power it could have been quite a bit bigger.

239/248 .623/.612 113+1
Old 03-05-2016, 09:16 AM
Launching!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That is an amazing torque curve! You will enjoy that on the road course. Congrats on a great project!
Old 03-05-2016, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Great results. Very well built engine!!!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by carbuff
That is an amazing torque curve! You will enjoy that on the road course. Congrats on a great project!
Originally Posted by 98_WS6_M6
Great results. Very well built engine!!!
Thank you. It was tense at times but I thoroughly enjoyed putting it together. Made some more good friends along the way!
Old 03-05-2016, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 223 Likes on 132 Posts

Wow! Amazing Results Travis, Great Job!
That torque curve Is Insane! It's like the
Power overwhelmed the Dyno, never seen
A 2 second power pull LOL!
Remember I predicted 565+ RWHP, would like to
See this on a DynoJet for comparison if you ever
Get the chance. I still think 3:42s are your best
Gear for all that Torque with less then 305+
rear section width.
Congrats again on a Outstanding Build & Result!
ENJOY!
Old 03-05-2016, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)

Travis,

Good job

there are so many components that have to work together under harsh conditions simultaneously... your persistance and diligence in chasing down the problems have paid off.

Good job
Old 03-05-2016, 02:18 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Wow! Amazing Results Travis, Great Job!
That torque curve Is Insane! It's like the
Power overwhelmed the Dyno, never seen
A 2 second power pull LOL!
Remember I predicted 565+ RWHP, would like to
See this on a DynoJet for comparison if you ever
Get the chance. I still think 3:42s are your best
Gear for all that Torque with less then 305+
rear section width.
Congrats again on a Outstanding Build & Result!
ENJOY!
Yeah I talked with Tony about that. It was strange to me as well. Tony thinks it actually limited the hp peak some and the number is conservative. Looking to get up to his area and do another dyno run on RPMs chassis dyno.

I've got the log from the run off to PatG to see what we can do with the tune. This pull was on crappy California 91 pump gas and I had zero knock. I can only imagine what we might hit on some good 93 octane.

Originally Posted by joecar
Travis,

Good job

there are so many components that have to work together under harsh conditions simultaneously... your persistance and diligence in chasing down the problems have paid off.

Good job
Thanks Joe. Had lots of help bringing it together now we need to luck at getting that power to the ground, making the car turn, and dropping the rear gear ratio cause 4.10s aren't going to be tire friendly.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 179 Likes on 117 Posts

congrats! Killer numbers for such a mild cam

Take it to the drag strip before you change out the gears. I'm curious what MPH it achieves.

That will be fun on the road course for sure! I can't wait to see what my 441ci setup makes. Ordering a cam from Kip next week.
Old 03-05-2016, 04:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by gnx7
congrats! Killer numbers for such a mild cam

Take it to the drag strip before you change out the gears. I'm curious what MPH it achieves.

That will be fun on the road course for sure! I can't wait to see what my 441ci setup makes. Ordering a cam from Kip next week.
I'd like to but there isn't one around here worth a $&@" I'll hit one at some point but as low as 1st gear is in these Tremecs that ratio is just a waste. Fun on the street but hooking is tough.

Assuming your building another strip motor but don't recall for sure. Build thread? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow!

Found another graph of your torque curve:

Old 03-06-2016, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by D9HP
Wow!

Found another graph of your torque curve:

Good one! Can't say I am disappointed with the torque (or anything for that matter). I know a dyno is meant to be a tuning tool but still makes you anxious with a new build to get numbers and have them be where you were expecting.

Tony and I discussed this build a lot and I asked him for a swag on final numbers at the flywheel before I had got it back in the car. He thought 670 fwhp was about right. Guess what we are right there and he thinks with a longer pull on another dyno we'd see peak hp go up more. How does a guy do that on a build combo he has never done before?! Man the knowledge floating around in his head is insane.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tadams72
Man the knowledge floating around in his head is insane.
His 454ci build was a huge motivation for my build.

I hear you on the ERL short block too - they don't mess around. I can't wait for mine but I'm a long ways off yet.

keep us posted - thanks for sharing!
Old 03-13-2016, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

So did another dyno pull yesterday at Street Machine and Musclecar Nationals. Can't say I am disappointed. We all know dynos are are different and lots can affect readout. Well this one obviously had some issues cause torque was a flat line across the pill for every car on it. Horsepower sure seemed low as well and I say this not only because I pulled a lower number but some others who previously made pulls on the same dyno (different day) had much lower numbers (boosted Camaro pulled 100rwhp lower).

So anyhow, all things considered. I walked away being the 3rd highest pull of the day (525 rwhp) behind two boosted cars. What makes it really good is I out-pulled several boosted cars (a couple ZL1s with intake, headers, tune and a couple others as well). Best part is nobody gave the car a second look while it sat in the dyno line. It's just another stock 5th gen with some nice custom rally stripes painted on it. Then I started it and pulled on the dyno and the crowd gathered. Made the pulls and jaws were on the deck. Pulled off the dyno thru the crowd and people were "awesome and it looks like a stock Camaro. Even has the stock wheels." Heh heh.

Figured out I've got to rethink the vacuum pump. Blew the cleanside separator out of the valve cover on the last pull. So video attached. Enjoy.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:12 PM
10 Second Club

Nice results Travis!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wtf kind of dyno pull was that. Never seen anyone do it like that.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blk00ss
Wtf kind of dyno pull was that. Never seen anyone do it like that.
Like I said, not sure what was going on there and the numbers were whacked but since it was the same for everyone I felt the comparison was fare for pulls that day.

Next dyno pull will probably be with Tony up at RPM unless I get in on a cheap dyno day down here somewhere.

I am really liking the car. Dyno pulls are just for fun. When I get some suitable track tires on it then we will see just how strong it is where it matters.

Fun story. Coming back from the event last nigh I was about three blocks from the house at a light when a new AMG pulled up next to me. Didn't think anything of it. Was going to get on it a little cause I needed his lane. Well the fckr holeshot me so I got on it. 1st? Yeah it's worthless. 2nd? Same story different gear. 3rd? Screw it you've already humiliated yourself. Totally going to have to rethink running a 285 square setup. No way that is enough tire on this thing!
Old 03-13-2016, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tadams72
Like I said, not sure what was going on there and the numbers were whacked but since it was the same for everyone I felt the comparison was fare for pulls that day.

Next dyno pull will probably be with Tony up at RPM unless I get in on a cheap dyno day down here somewhere.

I am really liking the car. Dyno pulls are just for fun. When I get some suitable track tires on it then we will see just how strong it is where it matters.

Fun story. Coming back from the event last nigh I was about three blocks from the house at a light when a new AMG pulled up next to me. Didn't think anything of it. Was going to get on it a little cause I needed his lane. Well the fckr holeshot me so I got on it. 1st? Yeah it's worthless. 2nd? Same story different gear. 3rd? Screw it you've already humiliated yourself. Totally going to have to rethink running a 285 square setup. No way that is enough tire on this thing!
I know you don't want to run drag radials, but it's going to need them. Even going with like a 335 hard tire it's gonna still blow them off.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:36 PM
9 Second Club

Received 98 Likes on 76 Posts

Great results. Bad *** car man. Sounds like it's a lot a fun too.

Fatter stickier tires are going to be a must. I ran a 315 NT05R and it was pretty good. Still could break loose in all gears but it was a more controlled tore spin lol. Do you have all good suspension in the rear too?

Aaron
Old 03-13-2016, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by blk00ss
I know you don't want to run drag radials, but it's going to need them. Even going with like a 335 hard tire it's gonna still blow them off.
Yeah wrong application. I've still got a set of 315 NT05Rs if I decided to test it out but until I get near a quarter mile track I'm not even going to worry about it.

No this is now a road track car. Now thinking I'll need to move to an 11" rear wheel so I can jump to a 315. On a road course with some heat in the tires I'll be able to roll into the throttle a little more on corner exit. I just see there is no way a 285 is going to make it. Also need to gear down. 4:10s were fun on the old motor but this one is way too much for needing that kind of gear.

Quick Reply: ERL 427 SuperDeck Build (All Motor)