Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

BTR Platinum Spring Kit Vs. BTR PAC 1905???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BTR Platinum Spring Kit Vs. BTR PAC 1905???

Considering BTR 0.660'' platinum spring kit as well as the BTR PAC 0.650'' 1905 spring kit. Is there a difference between the two springs quality wise, or are they fairly comparable? Which direction would you lean?

Thanks

Brandon
Old 05-30-2015, 02:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I went through the exact same thing a few months ago. I've read some threads where PAC springs broke and didn't want that. I ended-up buying the BTR Platinum Spring Kit w/steel retainers because there has not been any failures that I've read about.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe PAC makes Tooleys "Platinum" springs
Old 05-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Teching In

So basically the same spring just slightly dif. spec (+coating?)
Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Also running BTR platinum's with no issues here. Instead of guessing the differences, call Brian. I am sure he will be more than happy to explain them to you.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Brian Tooley springs are likely made by Peterson Spring in Michigan. PAC may be also....Peterson mentions "PacAlloy" in it's product line.

http://www.pspring.com/Valve-Springs

Either way, it's consistent source material, relaible manufacture process. I've only heard of a few PAC model # that failed. When they get a few-per-thousand fail, usually they can't be found on the manufacture website because they pulled them out of production to fix material issues.

Spring failures appear to be issues with source material or various errors of customer installation such as lack of "heat cycling" on 1st install or mismatch open-close pressure for the camshaft specs/grind.

Based on several websites, only a few (3+) original source manufacturers, then re-branded as PAC, etc. LS2.com, YellowBullet.com, LS1Tech.com.
Old 07-29-2020, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,176 Likes on 819 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Old thread still relevant.......

Originally Posted by fluidfalcon
Brian Tooley springs are likely made by Peterson Spring in Michigan. PAC may be also....Peterson mentions "PacAlloy" in it's product line.

Either way, it's consistent source material, relaible manufacture process. I've only heard of a few PAC model # that failed. When they get a few-per-thousand fail, usually they can't be found on the manufacture website because they pulled them out of production to fix material issues.

Spring failures appear to be issues with source material or various errors of customer installation such as lack of "heat cycling" on 1st install or mismatch open-close pressure for the camshaft specs/grind.

Based on several websites, only a few (3+) original source manufacturers, then re-branded as PAC, etc. LS2.com, YellowBullet.com, LS1Tech.com.
Yes, I know this is an old thread. But it is still relevant today. I believe PSI and PAC are one and the same. Maybe 1 company bought out the other. I don't know. What I DO know is this; several weeks ago I went to PACs manufacturing facility (plant) in Southfield, Michigan. The sign in front of the offices said Petersen Spring, Inc.. I drove around back and there were PAC signs on the building. I asked an employee if I had PAC springs, or PSI. He said they are the same company. They are in the same building, for sure. I would wager PSI/PAC make a LOT of springs for BTR, Comp, TEA, Texas Speed, etc.. Just saying. Hope this clears this up. I think the BTR Platinum .660 springs are most likely polished up PAC 1905 springs. Brian would know for sure. Their specs are nearly identical.......
Old 07-29-2020, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by grinder11
Yes, I know this is an old thread. But it is still relevant today. I believe PSI and PAC are one and the same. Maybe 1 company bought out the other. I don't know. What I DO know is this; several weeks ago I went to PACs manufacturing facility (plant) in Southfield, Michigan. The sign in front of the offices said Petersen Spring, Inc.. I drove around back and there were PAC signs on the building. I asked an employee if I had PAC springs, or PSI. He said they are the same company. They are in the same building, for sure. I would wager PSI/PAC make a LOT of springs for BTR, Comp, TEA, Texas Speed, etc.. Just saying. Hope this clears this up. I think the BTR Platinum .660 springs are most likely polished up PAC 1905 springs. Brian would know for sure. Their specs are nearly identical.......
I thought PSI springs are made by Isky?
Old 07-29-2020, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,519 Posts

PSI and PAC the same springs... no surprise since they are both well regarded for quality springs.
Bortous- I think at one time Isky might have made their own springs before good aftermarket ones were widely available. But it would have been very low volume due to the small size of the performance industry decades ago. It would serve them well in the present age to source them from a high-volume YET high quality vendor to keep costs down. I remember back in the day, performance valve springs cost a good bit more, relatively speaking.
Old 07-29-2020, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by G Atsma
PSI and PAC the same springs... no surprise since they are both well regarded for quality springs.
Bortous- I think at one time Isky might have made their own springs before good aftermarket ones were widely available. But it would have been very low volume due to the small size of the performance industry decades ago. It would serve them well in the present age to source them from a high-volume YET high quality vendor to keep costs down. I remember back in the day, performance valve springs cost a good bit more, relatively speaking.
It's impressive how you have knowledge on nearly every subject discussed here.

Old 07-29-2020, 03:23 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Isky still makes their own springs and is regarded as the largest camshaft manufacturer in the world.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (07-29-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 04:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Isky still makes their own springs and is regarded as the largest camshaft manufacturer in the world.
Ol' Ed kept after it! Thank you!
Old 07-29-2020, 09:42 PM

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,152 Posts

Originally Posted by Che70velle
A birdie told me there has been a lot of consolidation here lately in aftermarket parts. So idk who owns what anymore
Old 07-30-2020, 06:46 AM
ModSquad

Received 3,679 Likes on 2,240 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
A birdie told me there has been a lot of consolidation here lately in aftermarket parts. So idk who owns what anymore
Race Winning Brands doesn’t show they own Isky. According to Isky, they are still family owned and operated. But you had me thinking for a moment there...
I honestly would not be surprised if they get gobbled up in the buy-out. I guess anything is for sale, for the right price.
rkupon1 (08-02-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 06:54 AM
TECH Addict

We don't really hear much about Isky in the LS world.
Their springs and lifters are mentioned on the odd occasion but nothing else.
I'm sure they have good camshaft grinds too.
G Atsma (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 10:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

As far as Isky being the largest cam grinder, possible back in the day, but I bet Comp outsells them nowadays... you can't beat mass merchandising, no matter the quality, or lack thereof...
Old 07-30-2020, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by fluidfalcon

PAC does not make the BTR springs.

PAC and PSI are in fact 2 separate companies. PAC is in Southfield and PSI is in New Hudson. Who ever told you PAC and PSI are the same was very wrong. Now PAC and PSI are both very high quality springs and you cannot go wrong with either but I prefer a PAC.

Originally Posted by bortous
I thought PSI springs are made by Isky?
PSI makes a lot of Isky's springs, so does PAC, not the other way around.

G Atsma (07-30-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 02:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6

PAC and PSI are in fact 2 separate companies. PAC is in Southfield and PSI is in New Hudson. Who ever told you PAC and PSI are the same was very wrong. Now PAC and PSI are both very high quality springs and you cannot go wrong with either but I prefer a PAC.

Got it.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1,176 Likes on 819 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by TurboBuick6

I got my information from someone who works there. My eyes saw a Petersen Spring Incorporated sign on the PAC building! I drove there, in person, to pick up my PAC Ti retainers. I didn't want to wait for a carrier to deliver them. I saw what I saw, and heard what I heard. I don't know anything about any other plant, but in Southfield, Michigan, they are in the same building........
Old 07-30-2020, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I got my information from someone who works there. My eyes saw a Petersen Spring Incorporated sign on the PAC building! I drove there, in person, to pick up my PAC Ti retainers. I didn't want to wait for a carrier to deliver them. I saw what I saw, and heard what I heard. I don't know anything about any other plant, but in Southfield, Michigan, they are in the same building........
Is this Mike?

Quick Reply: BTR Platinum Spring Kit Vs. BTR PAC 1905???