Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Heads for boost a low end torque?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads for boost a low end torque?

I'm new to fi and I don't know what heads will match my build.

I'm going to be using twin BG S467 turbos with a Holley High Ram intake manifold. 9:1 Compression ratio with 4" stroke. LSX 6-bolts per cylinder, standard deck block. Cam is going to be pretty mild made for low-mid rpm range with .600 lift at most (turbos and tuning should help me from mid to high rpm power).

I'm building a prerunner style truck, with a 3 speed auto, that will need a flat torque curve from 1500rpm to 6500rpm. Ramping up boost and fuel until about 1000hp+.

What LS7 style, 6-bolt per cylinder, heads would you guys recommend for the hp and torque curve I'm looking for?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:34 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WCCH Brodix castings with 267 runner or *All pro 267 cc castings..Cathedral is a TQ horse also TFS 235 would be good or AFR 230's
Old 06-09-2015, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I've heard that the cathedral isn't that good for boost at high rpm because of low volume, and I don't want a dog after 4000rpm. My sources aren't experts though, so I'll look around some more.

Those WCCH Brodix castings fully assembled look a little pricey. The Mast 285cc has good flow numbers and the intake port isn't huge either like some of the others, but still bigger than stock.

I'm also curious about the Brodix BR7 heads, the dyno numbers show an increase all the way across the rpm range, but not as big of a low end increase as I would like.

It seams like every aftermarket head is made for mid to high rpm power. No one thinks about the offroad guys needing the whole rpm range.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:31 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Boy if you knew that much then why didn't you know this:
1st: buy heads bare with rough port runner: 700.00 each
2nd: send the heads off to a good porter with a GOOD program Cnc because, they will TEND to outperform a stock or aftermarket CNC program:1000 to 1200
3rd: buy all the parts for the heads and have assembled: all depends on how good you would like things aka.....Titanium valves etc......

Get TFS ls7 heads.....260cc runner or any small bore LS7 heads....RHS has a head that can be had for 1200 in raw runner form and do the process I've listed....

Call any good engine builder and ask what they would use....I always call Bryan @ LME or Eric @ HKE......if I have any Question if lost....

I'm taking my heads either this mourning or tomorrow for reassembly with better springs...need to call and see if J @ Jomar has did the LS3 head stud girdle that I asked about ....or check on the K. Urban ls3 stud girdle
Old 06-10-2015, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lil john
Boy if you knew that much then why didn't you know this:
1st: buy heads bare with rough port runner: 700.00 each
2nd: send the heads off to a good porter with a GOOD program Cnc because, they will TEND to outperform a stock or aftermarket CNC program:1000 to 1200
3rd: buy all the parts for the heads and have assembled: all depends on how good you would like things aka.....Titanium valves etc......

Get TFS ls7 heads.....260cc runner or any small bore LS7 heads....RHS has a head that can be had for 1200 in raw runner form and do the process I've listed....

Call any good engine builder and ask what they would use....I always call Bryan @ LME or Eric @ HKE......if I have any Question if lost....

I'm taking my heads either this mourning or tomorrow for reassembly with better springs...need to call and see if J @ Jomar has did the LS3 head stud girdle that I asked about ....or check on the K. Urban ls3 stud girdle
I've had some bad experiences with buying raw sbc heads and having them ported to desired sizes for custom setups. I usually spend more money having them machined slightly and tested over and over again to get the torque right where I want it.

And I have a very limited knowledge of ls heads and intakes, and an even more limited list of trusted ls builders and machinists to contact. I figured the safest and cheapest route would be to go with tried and true findings from other ls owners and aftermarket companies.

I'll check out the trickflow 260cc blanks, they look cheap and well worth looking into. Do you know of any really good machinists that specialize in ls or boost applicable heads around Montana?
Old 06-10-2015, 06:58 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Contact Martin Smallwood at Tick Performance. I believe he races a turbo charged LS and is a pretty well known guru around these parts.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Martin runs square ports
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 PM
Launching!

I hadn't really talked to him about his race setup but was pretty sure his silver camaro was a turbocharged LS. He'd give Mastaforga some good advice.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Teching In

I won't have the heads untill around the beginning of July, and they probably won't have the money for the machining for another 2 weeks after that.

I'm just trying to learn as much as possible about exactly what I need before I do it.

Would it help If I added that this is going in a 5,500lb truck with 42in tires
Old 06-18-2015, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Turbo engines tend to like added port volume. When you are compressing air into a denser form, the charge carries more mass.

Due to carrying more mass, the charge gathers more inertia on the intake stroke. The smaller the port, the more velocity in the port. If you have a heavy object traveling at a very high rate of speed it is not going to want to change directions quickly. Designing the port with added cross section to help slow the charge down some, and/or laying the short side back some can help in boosted applications. I have seen this done with good results from my personal experience and with customers.

I run a 280cc intake port with a 2.165" valve on my 370" turbo engine. A lot of people told me my car wouldn't fall out of a tree and it wouldn't make any boost with the heads I run. The whole combination as a whole is what ties it together. Camshaft, cubes, RPM range etc.
Old 06-18-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

Can you please post up some pictures and details of this truck in the engine conversion section?

You could run more compression for better turbo response.

Sounds wicked!

Quick Reply: Heads for boost a low end torque?