Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil pressure problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pressure problem

Have a newly built motor, looking for first crank. LSX block with a Milodon Oil pan and filter relocation kit. Electric Oil Pressure gauge.

As I'm cranking, not seeing any oil pressure or oil to the rockers. The lines are plumbed from the rear port of the engine (to the oiling system) and to the outlet on the filter relo bracket. The forward port on the engine (return to filter) is plumbed to the input on filter relo bracket, with my oil pressure sender plumbed in between.

When I first plumbed it up, I poured oil into the lines, then used compressed air to start moving it through the motor. When I started getting assembly lube out of the rockers I stopped.

If I disconnect the line from the outlet on the filter relo and crank, it easily pumps a large quantity of oil, so the pump/pickup is working.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 06-27-2015, 03:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure the diverter (barbell) is installed from drivers side rear of the block?

Last edited by SSSTANG#1; 06-27-2015 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

I didn't build the motor it was done by a guy here in D/FW area who was pretty thorough. Watt Bigham for anyone that may know him. Would be a major drag if I have to pull the tranny to check. Given my setup pretty sure everything would have to come out.

I'm hoping the remote sender with the separate lines for in/out helps with a way to pinpoint.

Charlie
Old 06-27-2015, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CharlieC
I'm hoping the remote sender with the separate lines for in/out helps with a way to pinpoint.

Charlie
If oil is being pumped to the filter but not up the pushrods...the barbell slides into the oil gallery and blocks the galley between the "out" and "in" and then seals the galley at the rear of the block.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:37 PM
Staging Lane

I installed a factory sender and hooked it up to the Dominator, 50+ PSI. Given the volume I could see coming from the output side of the filter housing, I felt reasonably comfortable the bottom end was getting lubed, so I went ahead and fired it up. The engine hadn't been cranked for a start until today (it had been rotated over the years by hand) after about 6+ years. Just took a while for the oil to push its way past the assembly lube and up/out the valvetrain.

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure problem