Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Head milling ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head milling ?

Hi all I'm a newbe so if you could please take it easy on me just trying to figure this stuff out. I have a few questions to ask. First is how much can I get away with having milled off a set of 799 heads before worrying about ptv clearance and make sure my intake manifold still seals? What head gasket to run? And should I change my valve springs when I switch heads? And is there anything else that i should do to the car that i have not yet done. Thanks in advance for any help.

The car is a 98 t/a a4 with shift kit with 2800 stall. full exhaust true duals. I have double valve springs rated for .650 lift they have 15,000 miles on them. I did the trinion upgrade on my rocker. My cam is howard cams p/n 197715-10. Cai. 160 thermostat. trans cooler. And a fee things I can't think of
Old 07-24-2015, 09:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Lsnewbee
Hi all I'm a newbe so if you could please take it easy on me just trying to figure this stuff out........
Can't do that, man. We're all gangsters and internet bullies here, and we can't roll soft like that !

.....First is how much can I get away with having milled off a set of 799 heads before worrying about ptv clearance.....
That would depend on the PTV with your current cam.

....What head gasket to run?.....
Again, depends on current cam. But IIRC, the OEM piston with stock stroke come .005" out of the hole; so ideally, for optimal quench, you may want to opt for .040" gasket compressed thickness.

BTW.....stock gaskets have a compressed thickness in the neighborhood of .051", so going to a more optimal quest also results in a slight CR bump....and this may be more preferred in bumping CR than aggressively milling the heads .

.....And should I change my valve springs when I switch heads?.....
When I go with an aftermarket cam, I tend to swap valve springs every 15k to 20k miles. But hell.....that's just me.

.....And is there anything else that i should do to the car that i have not yet done.....
Full exhaust = long-tube headers?

Also, you can always look at going with more gear.....like 3.42's or 3.73's.

Have fun!!

KW
Old 07-25-2015, 07:11 AM
On The Tree

Correct full exhaust long tubes and true duals. Gear change is coming this winter thanks for the answers
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can mill 0.050 (about an extra full point of compression) and get away with it as far as intake manifold but you must check your piston to valve clearance and this by the way is very easy to do.

Quick Reply: Head milling ?