Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Comp Cams' DTL Lobes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015 | 09:56 AM
Old School Heavy

Kip told me that could be done. As I understand, it is done with custom pushrod lengths and rocker pad shims. Wow.
Old 10-16-2015 | 10:16 AM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by HighspeedLean
KCS, have you read this buildup? Stock rockers and lash...Patterson is no joke when it comes to engine building
http://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tec...-stock-racing/
This pic is interesting to say the least...
No, I haven't read that article before. Thanks for posting that! I'm guessing here, but I bet they paid very careful attention to the valve height and length as well as the height of the rockers in relation to the valve to get that lash right. Something you can only do when you have an entire machine shop at your disposal and the entire engine. It looks like its only the second feeler gauge in the stack, so lash is probably .002-.003" or so. I wouldn't expect someone to be able to replicate that easily with off the shelf parts.

The spacers for the rings grooves is a pretty cool trick too.

Those Stock Eliminator guys are no joke. I would love to just sit in a corner of one of those shop and see what goes on there for a week or two.
Old 10-16-2015 | 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Stock Eliminator Racing...testing limits of OEM parts as long as I have been alive.

9.52 in a 3360lb car is getting it done with stock, un-ported heads, only .610 lift and 10.4-1 compression
Old 10-16-2015 | 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KCS
I'm wanting to use a steel rocker arm, so I'm looking at the Comp Ultra Pro Magnum Rockers. They're under $350 from Tick. Even without the big steel adjuster, I'm sure they're heaver than aluminum rockers, but I don't think I'll have to worry about trunnion failures, fatigue cracks, or clearancing the valve cover rail.

I supposed I could use those rockers in the stud mount configuration if I were to convert to solid roller. At that point, I might as well ditch the EFI and coils and put a carb and distributor on there too lol.

With those rockers, a PAC spring kit, 3/8" pushrods, Caddy lifters, and the cam, I'm looking at just under $1600 including shipping.

Solid roller works fine with fuel injection and ls coils
Old 10-16-2015 | 11:56 AM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by blackonblacksls
Solid roller works fine with fuel injection and ls coils
It was a joke.
Old 10-16-2015 | 11:59 AM
KCS
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by HighspeedLean
Stock Eliminator Racing...testing limits of OEM parts as long as I have been alive.

9.52 in a 3360lb car is getting it done with stock, un-ported heads, only .610 lift and 10.4-1 compression
I agree, that's damn impressive! I wonder what their valve job consisted of.
Old 10-16-2015 | 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedtigger
Kip told me that could be done. As I understand, it is done with custom pushrod lengths and rocker pad shims. Wow.
Originally Posted by KCS
No, I haven't read that article before. Thanks for posting that! I'm guessing here, but I bet they paid very careful attention to the valve height and length as well as the height of the rockers in relation to the valve to get that lash right. Something you can only do when you have an entire machine shop at your disposal and the entire engine. It looks like its only the second feeler gauge in the stack, so lash is probably .002-.003" or so. I wouldn't expect someone to be able to replicate that easily with off the shelf parts.
I have been speaking with Kip about doing something like that on mine.
Old 10-16-2015 | 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KCS
I wonder what their valve job consisted of.
I bet the combination to Fort Knox's safes would be easier to get.
Old 10-16-2015 | 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Yeah that 711 was on break in oil. By the time you put water weight in there plus the cool air intake ducting with buck forty traps. Geesh. Ever heard of what a C.E. Racer does when they get into the later rounds and they "dry it out"..?? Like 1-1.5 quarts of oil to minimize wind age, for the few hundred crank revolutions at zero pressure, I'm betting this thing will twist out closer to 730 and run 9.30s or so in good air. Insane for sure 💪

Quick Reply: Comp Cams' DTL Lobes