Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

l96 questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015 | 09:46 AM

Default l96 questions

Hello all, Newbie here with questions and figured this is the place to try and get answers.

So, doing a 79 G-Van swap, looking at a 2010 L96 with VVT and no DOD.

I was looking to get the engine complete and then do a carb style intake conversion so I can run one of my Atomic TBI systems. SO I know I can use the edelbrock intakes for this and an LS box to run the ignition. Is there any products available to allow the VVT to be used? I've done a fair amount of reading on VVT and I understand it defaults to full advanced if not hooked up. If I'm not mistaken this would mean great low end power but it's going to fall on it's face at higher engine speeds. Being that the signal to the solenoid is PWM I can cobble something together to control that and I might even be able to use a microcontroller to create the PWM output proportionate to engine RPM to give basic functionality. However there would be no load sensing and i'm not sure what effect that would have.

Obviously the other option would be to swap in a non VVT cam and lifter set. Which brings me to another question. Given that I know squat about cams if I was looking to get a lumpy idle like an old school small block but make power between 2500-4500 rpm is this even an option with a Gen 4 motor? do I pretty much have to do the Valve springs? are L96 stock heads any good?

The Fuzz in my area have been greifing people who are putting modern engines in older cars so i'm looking to retain the old school carb look with that Atomic. The coils on the valve covers will give it away but those aforementioned Greifers are fortunately not counted among the members of Mensa.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Old 12-05-2015 | 02:39 PM
Teching In

Hi There!

I bought the same Engine couple of months ago.
Im still desiding what to do.

But so far!
I deleted the VVT. Using a LS1 Cam and Timing gear of an LS2. (Single Trigger Cam)
The Heads are realy Good. Same as LS3, except for the valves.
Ls3 has hollow stem, making the lighter.
L96 Engine use Stainless Inlet, Inconel Exhaust. (Nice for Turbo)

Regarding Cams. Im swapping mine later on, when the Engine is up Running.
Im putting this thing into a 67Camaro with Manual stick, so the VVT stuff limited the Cam Choice.
In a Slugg like a VAN, it probably works better.

I had a Haltech standAlone ECU laying around, so i used this.

When your buying a Manifold, these heads has Rectangular inlets-ports, same as LS3.

About controlling the VVT with aftermarked stuff, yes it is PWM.
BUT: you have to know where the Cam is when you regulate is, or you will be all over the place.

If there is People greifing people in my area cause use of FuelInjection in MY car, i would probably moved, and sold the Atomic.
Or at least slap them in the face with a Fish.

Good Luck

Lars
Old 12-05-2015 | 09:04 PM

Thank you Lars, I was under the impression the VVT was basically being told where to be dependent on the pressure provided and had no real feedback. In other words a 12volt signal with a 1/2 pulse width would cause it to move to the neutral position. 12 volts with a 1/4 pulse would advance it 50% of it's motion and so on like that. I will do a little more research but it sounds like I shall just tear it out of there.

Is the Haltech any good? I have an Old Motec M800 kicking around I considered trying to use so i could use the digital dash with it but decided i would save that for my Malibu when I put an LS into that.

the only greifers in my area are the police, they frown on taking a salmon upside the head but the thought does amuse me.

Mike
Old 12-05-2015 | 10:17 PM
Teching In

You might be Right about the PWM?
I may have read about that 50% DC to the cam solenoid, the cam stands still. (DC=Duty Cycle)
If you want to advance it, you raise the DC.
Retard, you Lower DC.
The Timing Gear is locked to the Crank.
BUT: the trigger on the snout of the upper Gear followes the Cam.

My thoughts was that the stock ECU compares the trigger from the Cam to the Missing tooth on the Crank, and therby knows where the cam is. (not 100% shure)

About the Haltech: Have no idea. just bought it used for next to nothing.
Probably Start the Engine between XMAS dinners.

About the Fish. Forget about it.

Lars

Last edited by Lars Arne Vedo; 12-05-2015 at 10:25 PM.

Quick Reply: l96 questions