Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls2 rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls2 rebuild questions

I posted this on another forum but just trying to get enough info as possible. I got my ls2 torn down and it looks like it spun a rod bearing at 42,000 miles. I'm looking at just rebuilding the motor a tad bit better and maybe just flipping the car. With me doing this at home i'm going to tear it down to bear block and replace the bearings in it. My question is I am wanting to go ahead and use some Scat Pro Comp I-Beam Connecting Rods since they are a bit better than stock and not a lot of money. Can i use them with my stock pistons? If so what part # exactly am I looking for. Since I'm using all new stuff I should be able to use stock bearing sizes correct? I'm not looking for much more than the 400hp stock it comes with. I know I should go fully forged and all that everything but I can't dump 5,000 into a car I might not keep past a few months. I'm buying a new GM crank I have had bad luck with refurbs in the past. I've never built a LS but have a bunch of other engines and I know they are way more forgiving.

New GM crank
Part #12588612
Old 12-16-2015, 07:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 178 Likes on 116 Posts

The stock LS2 style rods have been 8's in more cars that can be counted on here. Don't waste your $. If you are just going to sell it do a leakdown test if the heads aren't off to see the health of the engine. If it's even don't even replace the rings especially if the bores look good with no vertical scoring. Just tear it down, get it cleaned, do the bearings, and you can most likely cut the crank .010" and be done with it.

A stock used LS2 rod is $20-25/each shipped on here all day long.

Just buy a used crank for $175 or less on here that doesn't need any machine work and has your 24x reluctor wheel

If you want to improve upon it you may as well do rods/pistons as it will need to be balanced anyway if you run a new crank.
Old 12-21-2015, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Those I beam rods are worth it just for the rod bolts.

If you're doing all that work only to say 100 bux you're doing it wrong. I would not be tearing down my engine to put in stock rods, as "good" as they may be.

he stock LS2 style rods have been 8's in more cars that can be counted on here.
Going 8s in a 2800lbs car like yours is a helluva lot different than going 8s in a GTO. I'd like to see how many 2 ton cars have gone 8s on the stock rods.
Old 12-24-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be careful of those rods in the aspect to rod length. The awesome priced $300 rods are generally a 6.125 length rod. The stock engine uses a shorter rod....6.098. That difference of .027 will push the pistons out of the bore. Most aftermarket pistons will be built for the 6.125 rod.....this is the compression height measurement....distance from pin to top of piston. On the aftermarket pistons the pin will be slightly (.027) higher in the piston.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:52 PM
KCS

Received 315 Likes on 213 Posts

Scat makes the I beams in a 6.10" rod length for stock press fit pins. The problem is that the LS2 uses floating pins, so you would have to have them pressed in instead.

Last edited by KCS; 12-24-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: ls2 rebuild questions