Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Here is a Hot Rod magazine test where they ran stock 317 cathedral ports vs stock 821 rectangle ports vs a AFR 245 head. The 821 rectangle ports made 38 more horsepower and 17 more ft pounds of torque than the 317 cathedral port heads. And, I bet if you put a really good valve job on the 821 rectangle ports, they would make the same numbers or better than the AFR 245s:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...re-port-heads/
Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Show me a case of just heads changed and things being that similar?
I already posted the HotRod article where they actually tested 317s and LS3s back to back yes the shortblock was larger but was consistent, do you think that overlay trumps back to back testing? No exhaust/header, cam, CAI etc. influence.

Even when they test more similarly sized aftermarket heads in each style they see a torque difference and the extra airflow not turning into the power one would expect.
http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ght...-head-to-head/
You said yourself that both heads need different cams to make the most of them, so you're never going to get an apples to apples comparison doing a back to back head swap. Right?

Can the extra flow be made to work YES, but people see the huge flow numbers and expect a huge result and they aren't there, and nobody wants to talk about down low, or what kind of result 243s and a FAST would have on a same displacement motor.
My plot is a stock LS2 with stock LS3 heads and intake. The other is stock 243's with a FAST 102. Same displacement. Again, I can't confirm mchicia1's supporting mods, but anyone who is going to go through a cam and intake swap is probably going to at least have long tubes and an intake.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger
A lot of truth there. Most of the people I hang out with could give a damn about what goes on below 4000 RPM. They are after average power between 5500-7000+. Really if you think about it, even in a combo with a really tight street converter, the shift drop is about 5200 RPM at the lowest. So, the only time people are below 4000 is leaving from a dead stop when traction is a problem on the street anyway.
True for straight line acceleration. On the autox course or just aggressive backroading I find myself holding second gear in the auto and rolling into the throttle out of turns where a big fat chunk of power in the 3,000-4,000 range is a lot more noticeable even with a tight 3600 converter. It would be extremely noticeable in a manual trans car because typically it's still better to hold a gear than shift during runs...this can put a car at the very bottom of 2nd gear and lug the engine quite a bit coming out of tight turns.

With the new cam though I'm reaching the point where power in that area is starting to get excessive and tire spin is more likely. So in the future if more power needs to happen it might be beneficial to lose a little from that part of the curve in favor of more top end HP.

I think I would also rather invest in the LS3 top end over buying a Fast 102 or similar for cathedrals if I needed an upgrade in that department over my Fast 90.
Old 12-30-2015, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 246 Likes on 166 Posts

The 6L80E behind the LS3s has a 4.03 first gear rather than the 3.06 first of the 4L60E, that is used to hide the poor lowend response. An SS or Camaro with LS3 has factory gearing(first) equivalent to a 4L60E with 4.10s behind it.
As I said before, the 6L80E wasn't designed to hide the "poor lowend" of rectangle heads.

The 4L60E was essentially around for 20+ years at that point, and every other manufacturer was offering their vehicles with 5 and 6 speed transmissions. So, GM needed to make a change to stay competitive, especially with the Corvette and Cadillac segments.

This is why the 06 and 07 Corvettes came with 6 speed automatics despite having the 243-headed LS2, and the 07-08 Silverado Vortec Max was offered with the L76 and 4L60E. It had nothing to do with lowend responses and everything to do with staying relevant.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a Hot Rod magazine test where they ran stock 317 cathedral ports vs stock 821 rectangle ports vs a AFR 245 head. The 821 rectangle ports made 38 more horsepower and 17 more ft pounds of torque than the 317 cathedral port heads. And, I bet if you put a really good valve job on the 821 rectangle ports, they would make the same numbers or better than the AFR 245s:

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...re-port-heads/
You reference the article I already linked to like it is new information and ignore the lowend loss.

Originally Posted by MX6.0
You said yourself that both heads need different cams to make the most of them, so you're never going to get an apples to apples comparison doing a back to back head swap. Right?

My plot is a stock LS2 with stock LS3 heads and intake. The other is stock 243's with a FAST 102. Same displacement. Again, I can't confirm mchicia1's supporting mods, but anyone who is going to go through a cam and intake swap is probably going to at least have long tubes and an intake.
Could be a LOT closer to apples to apples if the shortblock and exhaust are the same and you use two cams of similar lift, duration and LSA.

The link I posted and speedtigger thinks he found is rectangle cam same motor and exhaust and all with just the heads and intake swapped, and the 317s are known to have the same ports as 243s so it is a reasonable comparison. Beyond that I think everyone will agree the 243s would have some advantage over 317s.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

You reference the article I already linked to like it is new information and ignore the lowend loss.
It was not that I was ignoring the performance below 4000 RPM as much as it was that I just don't care. I know guys with tow trucks and luxury cars might care, but I don't.
Old 12-30-2015, 11:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

It was not that I was ignoring the performance below 4000 RPM as much as it was that I just don't care. I know guys with tow trucks and luxury cars might care, but I don't.
Yeah......take the car to the track with these power curves and say, a 3600 stall TC and I'm pretty sure that the 317 heads may pull stronger off the line....but the LS3 heads would reel it in and take the win on the top end.

On the street, pretty much no one is gonna be able to notice the 5% power advantage of the 317 heads. And on the track, that 5% power advantage will disappear with the first gear shift.

Again.....just my opinion.

KW

Last edited by KW Baraka; 12-31-2015 at 12:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Remember like a month ago when you said my Caprice had a lot more gear in it than my SS, and I had to point out to you that 4.03/3.27 is actually more gear than 3.06/4.10, so how much thought have you put into it. How objective are you if you can't identify something so blatantly obvious when owning both vehicles yourself so long?......
Dwayne......the fact remains that you continually harp about the 6L80E gearing being tied to the the 'weak' low RPM torque of the of the LS3.....and that just ain't true. Not when the 6L80E predates the LS3 by 2 years.

And all the bluster in the world on your part won't make it true (SMDH).

.....KW you and I have had this argument forever you believe bigger is better and I look deeper for what tangibly works, you ever get you solid roller 396 LT4 to run what my little motor has with ported GM LT1 and a hydraulic cam?
I dunno, Dwayne.....are you running 11.1's?

And I'd bet that my full weight '96 SS would make a more comfortable daily driver than your car as well.

Jus' sayin' ......

KW

Quick Reply: LS2 question