Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rough idle after treatment.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rough idle after treatment.

Hello folks.
I'm new to the site and a recent buyer of a 2001 Camaro SS (SLP #3426) with 89000 miles. The car was a one owner, clean history car that sat more than driven in South Georgia. The original owner seemed to not have taken the best care of the car, but in pretty good shape. Mostly cosmetic from sitting in the hot sun. I'm a deputy and drive the Camaro on my days off. Since I purchased the car two months ago, I have only put 150 miles on the car. During that time, I went a little overboard and put two cans of Seafoam in the car, specifically gas tank treatment. Thinking I would give the car a little more help in cleaning the fuel system I put a whole bottle of Chevron with Techron in the tank. The tank was about three quarters full. The car truly ran good before doing all the treatments, I noticed a good idle and acceleration after the Seafoam treatment. Yesterday evening with approximately half a tank of gas I put the large bottle of Chevron in the tank, and let it sit for the night. Going to work this morning the car cranked great and idled great. 15 minutes into the drive I felt the car have a very brief burp and the check engine light came on. Now there's a slight rough idle. The code thrown by the motor is P0430 bank 2. Again the car was running fine until running the fuel treatments. I'm sure some will say, don't fix it if it's not broke, why the over kill on treatment. I run treatments all the time in my patrol cars and felt safe doing it to my Camaro. From what I have read I suspect now a dirty spark plug, dirty injectors, and/or the car is running too rich from running the fuel treatment due to too much treatment. Opinions will be appreciated.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts

Well po430 is a 02 sensor for after the cat. Possibly your cat got clogged. Or it could be a clogged injector from all the stuff being broken loose from the seafoam and gas cleaner.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gagliano7
Well po430 is a 02 sensor for after the cat. Possibly your cat got clogged. Or it could be a clogged injector from all the stuff being broken loose from the seafoam and gas cleaner.
Would you, or anyone else suggest running another can of Seafoam to do another cleaning? Suggesting a plug is clogged.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by goldls1ss
Would you, or anyone else suggest running another can of Seafoam to do another cleaning? Suggesting a plug is clogged.
If someone kicked you in the shin, raising an extremely painful bruise would you think it'd be a good idea to treat that bruise with another kick in the same shin?

KW
Old 03-19-2016, 08:35 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by KW Baraka
If someone kicked you in the shin, raising an extremely painful bruise would you think it'd be a good idea to treat that bruise with another kick in the same shin?

KW
Touché,
Reason I mentioned another can was that I read where a secondary dose can further clean what was clogged. Potentially resolving the problem. I've driven the car for two days now after resetting the computer. No codes. Running strong. Being that a cat has taken a crap, I plan on replacing. Thanks gentlemen.

Quick Reply: Rough idle after treatment.