Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need PRO help deciding on a N/A LS7 setup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2016, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need PRO help deciding on a N/A LS7 setup!!!

Hello there Ls1 tech, like many others I have been combing through the countless threads reading about different peoples engine combinations, but I haven't been able to satisfy my questions.

So with that being said, I dropped a valve in my poor 07 Z06 and now I'm in the market for a new motor. There are several combinations I am interested in and want your advice on which to go with.

I want a N/A motor 427ci or larger that has around 600whp+ and the torque should be pretty close to that also. I have heard different stroked LS7 combinations have oiling issues and after blowing my motor up I want one that is as reliable as possible. I wont be drag racing much, just spirited driving around town with an occasional trip to the track. My budget is around 12k but if I can spend less without sacrificing power/reliability that's always a plus. Would also like input on where to get the engine built. So with that info here are the options I have come up with.

-Ls7 short block 427 with Mast or comparable Heads

-Ls3 stroked to 427 with Mast or comparable heads

-Ls7 440/441/442 shortblock with Mast or comparable heads

I'd really like to have the 440/441/442 but I have heard bad things about the stress a stroked crank puts on the ls7, and also some Ls7 strokers having oiling issues. Any of your input would be much appreciated!

******EDIT******
After talking with numerous people( Tony Mamo, Brian Tooley, ERL etc.) I have decided to go with an ERL drysleeve 454. Now I'm working on the Head/Cam/Intake(Probably ported MSD) Situation to make this thing breathe.

Last edited by ssbandit158; 06-21-2016 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so your short block is toast?

regardless...ls7 and mast heads is the way to go for your zed
Old 05-14-2016, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dojob
so your short block is toast?

regardless...ls7 and mast heads is the way to go for your zed
Yes, part of my short block ended up on the pavement....
Old 05-14-2016, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

ERL 434" (4.155" Bore X 4.00" Stroke) Short Block
Tony Mamo Ported TFS LS7 Heads & MSD Intake (MAMOFIED)
CAM MOTION HR Cam Specced by Tony,
600+ RWHP with medium sized cam and Phenominal
Throttle response (400+CFM From > 265 CC Intake Port!)
Great Street driving manners and rip your head off throttle
Response.
Or go crazy with a Low Lash Solid Roller and shoot for 650!
Still very streetable but beyond $12K limit unfortunately.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Response.
I went with a compromise. I went with the low lash moral lifters racers use to cheat in hydraulic classes. They really do rev strong up top and I have been playing with them with low preload and longer pushrods. Goofing around with higher rpm shifts I put a little too much mph in the shift points and rocketed right through my 7200 rev limiter. Making power right up there. Lovin it!
Old 05-15-2016, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

Response.
Thanks for the reply, sounds exactly what I'm looking for. How is the reliability of this engine? I love the throttle response and quick rev of a solid setup, but I want something that is easier to maintain and will be easier to sell one day when I decide to upgrade cars ha.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Send me a PM, I have my Greg Good heads available if you want to make some Mega HP!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:19 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Instead of an LS7 block, use a sleeved block by RED or ERL. The sleeves they put in are a lot more durable than the OEM LS7 sleeves. They are also longer so you can put in a larger stroke crank.

Take the bore out to 4.185" and drop in at least a 4.125" stroke crank for 454ci. You can even use a 4.250" stroke crank for 468ci, but the list of builders that I would trust to get that right is very short.

Then top it off with the Greg Good heads John B has for sale and a fully ported FAST intake.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:28 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
Instead of an LS7 block, use a sleeved block by RED or ERL. The sleeves they put in are a lot more durable than the OEM LS7 sleeves. They are also longer so you can put in a larger stroke crank.

Take the bore out to 4.185" and drop in at least a 4.125" stroke crank for 454ci. You can even use a 4.250" stroke crank for 468ci, but the list of builders that I would trust to get that right is very short.

Then top it off with the Greg Good heads John B has for sale and a fully ported FAST intake.
What he said. lol. You can always find a scored block for dirt cheep too.
Old 05-16-2016, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Always the crate route, then modify to your desires

Last edited by KCS; 05-16-2016 at 09:00 AM. Reason: Non-Sponsor Links Removed
Old 05-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been looking at ERL's website and the 440 with 11.2:1 compression is looking pretty good. I want a larger cube motor since I'm starting from scratch anyway, and the stroke is short (4") so I think the whole engine would be better for the street and more reliable. So I guess my next question is will ERL give me any sort of discount for finding them through this forum?
Old 05-23-2016, 10:46 PM
On The Tree

If you are buying new block why don't you go with tall deck and build large motor
The ERL and RHS or Dart are about the same price if you include the core charge and the 6 bolts upgrade.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:06 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If you're set on running LS7 heads RUN AWAY from the LS7 Fast intake. Look at what Mamo does with the MSD LS7 and how cheap it comes out.

You can make 600+ with AI 280's... You don't HAVE to go aftermarket. But if you did, I'd definitely go with MAST anything.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Response.
THIS!

Im going this route Tonys TFS heads, solid roller specd by tony, and tonys ported msd intake. Have it all in here waiting to be installed. If I can get my ls7 long block sold here soon I will be buying a 440 with mid 12 cr. This things is going to be nuts. Its auto converted so im hoping for mid 9s NA.

Last edited by clint195; 05-28-2016 at 01:50 PM.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:19 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 383 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by ssbandit158
Thanks for the replies everyone. I have been looking at ERL's website and the 440 with 11.2:1 compression is looking pretty good. I want a larger cube motor since I'm starting from scratch anyway, and the stroke is short (4") so I think the whole engine would be better for the street and more reliable. So I guess my next question is will ERL give me any sort of discount for finding them through this forum?
OP....you need to give me a call. I can set you up with a killer package....no guesswork and mismatched components. I have been working on my LS7 program since I left AFR and it was time well spent. I have already helped a handful of folks on the Corvette Forum with excellent results and the good news has only just begun to dribble out because guys like Clint (poster above me) and many others are going to be finishing up and getting their combo's dyno'ed very soon as well.

If you have followed my career over the last couple of decades you already know I never disappoint when it comes to results (and customer service). I can help you with the entire combination including the shortblock. I can build the entire engine for you if you like or simply send you all the right "ingredients" to bake your own cake but it will be a comprehensive well thought out package from oil pan to valve covers and that's why its going to shine.

Top it off with my ported MSD and you will be thrilled with the results. Search for my screen name on the Vette Forum if you have time to do alot of reading there concerning the work I have been doing with the LS7 engines. I have focused on this platform and even bought a C6Z of my own to use as my R&D vehicle.....I am very committed to this platform right now.....take advantage of it!

A few threads of interest....there are many others

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...il-covers.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ls7-heads.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-600-rwhp.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ort-gains.html

Get in touch with me after you have done your homework Ive helped a little with here. I prefer email over PM's but anything works....at some point a phone call will be in order also but reach out first and we will go from there....if you do email me just reference this thread on Tech so I realize who you are.

Looking forward to helping you with your new combination

Cheers,
Tony

www.mamomotorsports.com

Tony@MamoMotorsports.com

Anything worth doing is worth doing well. Build it right the first time....its alot cheaper than building it twice!!

Last edited by Tony @ Mamo Motorsports; 05-28-2016 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

640 whp recipe...

I would go with a 4. 185 bore 6 bolt block and 4 inch crank if running gas 11.2 compression if e85 13. get a set of aftermarket heads like mast 285 cc or Trick flow 260 cc 6 bolt heads even better and Patrick G spec solid roller cam, pro elite com cams solid roller lifters for reliability you can count on, this is a proven combination for 640 at the tire with ported lsxr intake and NW 102 t/b

http://static.trickflow.com/global/i...71t001-c01.pdf
Old 05-29-2016, 10:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo
OP....you need to give me a call. I can set you up with a killer package....no guesswork and mismatched components. I have been working on my LS7 program since I left AFR and it was time well spent. I have already helped a handful of folks on the Corvette Forum with excellent results and the good news has only just begun to dribble out because guys like Clint (poster above me) and many others are going to be finishing up and getting their combo's dyno'ed very soon as well.

If you have followed my career over the last couple of decades you already know I never disappoint when it comes to results (and customer service). I can help you with the entire combination including the shortblock. I can build the entire engine for you if you like or simply send you all the right "ingredients" to bake your own cake but it will be a comprehensive well thought out package from oil pan to valve covers and that's why its going to shine.

Top it off with my ported MSD and you will be thrilled with the results. Search for my screen name on the Vette Forum if you have time to do alot of reading there concerning the work I have been doing with the LS7 engines. I have focused on this platform and even bought a C6Z of my own to use as my R&D vehicle.....I am very committed to this platform right now.....take advantage of it!

A few threads of interest....there are many others

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...il-covers.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ls7-heads.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...-600-rwhp.html

http://www.corvetteforum.com/forums/...ort-gains.html

Get in touch with me after you have done your homework Ive helped a little with here. I prefer email over PM's but anything works....at some point a phone call will be in order also but reach out first and we will go from there....if you do email me just reference this thread on Tech so I realize who you are.

Looking forward to helping you with your new combination

Cheers,
Tony
Thanks for the detailed response Tony, I appreciate the info and will definitely be giving you a call. I've already talked to ERL and they have been super helpful as well. As you said above I just want to build it right the first time. I bought the car and owned it less than 3 weeks before the motor blew, it was built by cartek in Georgia, needless to say I won't be using them ever again.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by CAMSTER
640 whp recipe...

I would go with a 4. 185 bore 6 bolt block and 4 inch crank if running gas 11.2 compression if e85 13. get a set of aftermarket heads like mast 285 cc or Trick flow 260 cc 6 bolt heads even better and Patrick G spec solid roller cam, pro elite com cams solid roller lifters for reliability you can count on, this is a proven combination for 640 at the tire with ported lsxr intake and NW 102 t/b

http://static.trickflow.com/global/i...71t001-c01.pdf
That's awesome power but I want to stick with a hydraulic roller setup, I don't want to have to worry about a high maintenence motor, even though they are bad ***.
Old 05-29-2016, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
If you're set on running LS7 heads RUN AWAY from the LS7 Fast intake. Look at what Mamo does with the MSD LS7 and how cheap it comes out.

You can make 600+ with AI 280's... You don't HAVE to go aftermarket. But if you did, I'd definitely go with MAST anything.
What do you mean by AI 280's
Old 05-29-2016, 10:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Black_Phantom
If you are buying new block why don't you go with tall deck and build large motor
The ERL and RHS or Dart are about the same price if you include the core charge and the 6 bolts upgrade.
I didn't think the price would be that close, but I'll definitely look into it, that's why I posted my question on Ls1 tech because you guys are awesome! Thanks!

Quick Reply: Need PRO help deciding on a N/A LS7 setup!!!