Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

It may be "Just Another LS3 416 Stroker Build", but, it's MY LS3 416 Stroker Build!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gotcha. I thought about that and It's one of those things where I'd rather deal with the aggravation of working around it from time to time than to bring it forward and clutter up the engine bay. I'm trying to minimalize all the clutter as much as I can as I build this thing...
Old 10-03-2016, 04:14 PM
10 Second Club

Too close to the exhaust headers for my liking, I would move it somewhere accessible for adjustments. And if for some reason it needs to be replaced, fuel spills to exhaust headers are a possibility.
Old 10-03-2016, 06:47 PM
TECH Resident

Mightymouse sells a mount that bolts to the brake booster i used. Id include a link but the website is down so here is a pic. I routed the lines better i was just in a hurry to start it after my motor swap. No clutter
Attached Thumbnails It may be "Just Another LS3 416 Stroker Build", but, it's MY LS3 416 Stroker Build!-image.jpeg  

Last edited by maroonls1z; 10-03-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What radiator have you considered? Ive got a very similar build but Im living in a hotter climate. Grew up in Long Beach, actually, off 28th, and normally drive home for Cruisin the Coast. Im setting it up to be more of a fast street car than an all out rocket. Just went with a medium-ish cam, a Night Fury.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by maroonls1z
Mightymouse sells a mount that bolts to the brake booster i used. Id include a link but the website is down so here is a pic. I routed the lines better i was just in a hurry to start it after my motor swap. No clutter

That's how the mount I made bolts up. I fabbed this one to hold both the FPR and the proportioning valve. I am going to reposition the FPR up higher this weekend if I get the time, which will make it just a bit lower than where yours is located now.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LXinMS
What radiator have you considered? Ive got a very similar build but Im living in a hotter climate. Grew up in Long Beach, actually, off 28th, and normally drive home for Cruisin the Coast. Im setting it up to be more of a fast street car than an all out rocket. Just went with a medium-ish cam, a Night Fury.

I picked up the Engineered Cooling Products dual core radiator from another member on the sales forum for a really good price. I read all of the reviews on this radiator and it seems split with those who have absolutely no problem with them, and those who picked one up that had a pinhole leak in it from the start. It seems that they had a bit of a quality control issue there for awhile. I do plan on bringing it to a local radiator shop and have them pressure test it for me before install. If it does have the dreaded pinhole leak, they only charge @ $20-$30 to fix it.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Don't worry about reworking that bracket for a couple inches. Your headers are wrapped, and it's not like those two inches are going to prevent a fire if a leak springs anyway. Tell ya what, if you break that fuel line with your headers still hot after a drive, I'll slap you after we put the fire out.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
Don't worry about reworking that bracket for a couple inches. Your headers are wrapped, and it's not like those two inches are going to prevent a fire if a leak springs anyway. Tell ya what, if you break that fuel line with your headers still hot after a drive, I'll slap you after we put the fire out.

Gee, thanks. What a buddy!
Old 11-07-2016, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok,
Well, it's been a minute... Between over-time at work and the wife having to go in for surgery I haven't been able to do much the last month on the build. I did get a few things done though...

I managed to get the inside of the hood painted black to match the engine bay (forgot the pic). I also powder-coated the hood brackets.

I installed the heater hoses (after I high temp painted the aluminum of course).

I didn't like the fuse box cover I made with holes in it to bolt it down, so, I made another one and finished it.

I didn't like the flimsy bracket that came with my catch can, so, I made another one and installed the can.

I finished routing my steam port hose into the water pump.

I'm not a fan of red, so, I blasted my lower a arms and powder-coated the black.

I'm not a fan of the gray on the Hotchkis springs, so, I blasted them and refinished black also, which I forgot to take a picture of...
I also picked up a ram air setup and powder-coated it (no reason, besides OCD). I will fabricate the bottom half after I reinstall the bumper and I'll p/c it too.
I'm sure there are a few other odds and ends that I'm forgetting right now.

Aside from the little stuff that I will continue to do when I get the chance, I have finally lined up getting some of the bigger milestones accomplished. First up, I have a welder lined up for this coming weekend to weld in the roll cage, which will allow me to knock out several things I need to get to in the interior of the car. The other biggie is the motor. Loren (themealonwheels) and I have finally found the time to get the motor installed on the weekend of 19NOV. It will still be a ways away from firing up and being drivable, but, it will be exciting to finally see that 416 sitting where it belongs! Here's hoping nothing else interferes with progress!!
Old 11-07-2016, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice. I like seeing when people sweat the details like that. The heater hoses, and your wire looms look really clean.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

The motor is in!!

As usual, things didn't exactly go as planned. Couldn't get the welder to commit to a date, then when he did, he didn't show up (hunting season). The motor didn't get put in on the 19th, but it is in! I'm still a ways away from firing it up, but, the next big hurdle is complete.

I started off taking a step backwards, as I received a great deal on an Improved Racing oil baffle. So, I cracked back open the oil pan and installed it.

While I was there I also installed their crank scraper

...and the oil pickup tube girdle sold on this site

Then Loren and I used his LS to haul my LS to the shop for install

Pieced together the front suspension

Put it all together

... and, finally, in the car!

Last edited by psychosid30; 02-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've obviously got a lot more to do, but, I am relieved to finally see a V8 in this car for the first time. My welder is supposed to show up after work this afternoon to weld the roll cage, but, I'm not going to hold my breath too long... Hopefully by this weekend we'll have the bottom of the car buttoned up and I can work on wiring and ancillary pieces. Currently thinking about powder-coating my computer case, because - why not...
Old 12-05-2016, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also forgot to mention.. I picked up the SACCityCorvette billet oil barbell and installed it too. I like the quality of the piece (very well made). Not too sure if it will do anything above and beyond the stock plastic one, but, the motor was out and now was the time to do it if it was going to get done.

Last edited by psychosid30; 02-15-2017 at 03:33 PM.
Old 12-06-2016, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

That hombre may be the best looking thing in this thread so far!

Yeah, that motor install seemed to fight us the whole way for some reason, but it sure looks nice in there.

Don't forget to post on the fuel pump when you get there!
Old 12-07-2016, 03:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Getting close. Do you plan on dynoing this eventually? Goals?
Old 12-07-2016, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
That hombre may be the best looking thing in this thread so far!

Yeah, that motor install seemed to fight us the whole way for some reason, but it sure looks nice in there.

Don't forget to post on the fuel pump when you get there!

I might have to disagree with you on that one bud! That motor is pretty danged sexy...

As for the fuel pump, I know, I know...
Old 12-07-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Getting close. Do you plan on dynoing this eventually? Goals?

Eventually I will. I'm not going to rush anything to get finished any faster, but, it will be dyno'd after it's fully broken in.

As for goals... Aside from it just being a reliable ride, 500rwhp will make me happy. Anything beyond that and I'll be tickled pink.

Last edited by psychosid30; 12-15-2016 at 07:38 AM.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 22DEC16 Update

Well, lost my welder. Found another one that will come and help me out some time after the holidays. I hate relying on someone else to do something. I wish I could do it, but, I weld like I'm having an epileptic seizure - it ain't pretty!

I did go ahead and powder coat the ECM (ECU/PCM - whatever we're calling it this month) case and got it installed.

I also buttoned up the front brake lines.

And, yes, I powder coated every line that could fit in the oven - to include the cross over lines on the steering rack.

Loren and I also got the torque arm and drive shaft installed.

Ignore the dirt dobber nest!

Of course, not everything went perfectly smooth. When we got the torque arm put in place and dropped the rear end we found that it was about 1 inch too long and was pushing the bushing out the front of it's mounting location on the transmission cross-member. That's what you get sometimes when you use different manufacturers for parts that tie in like these do. Luckily, all we had to do was move the bracket over 1 hole and simply drill 2 new holes for it to fit perfectly.

Hopefully after the holidays I'll be able to get back to working on it a little more. Now that I see the motor in place I'm getting a bit antsy to fire it up...

Last edited by psychosid30; 02-15-2017 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The attention to detail is sweet!!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Update your build thread, jerk.

Quick Reply: It may be "Just Another LS3 416 Stroker Build", but, it's MY LS3 416 Stroker Build!