Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

It may be "Just Another LS3 416 Stroker Build", but, it's MY LS3 416 Stroker Build!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fedge
This is some adventure, hopefully those gremlins get sorted out and you get this beast on the road! The attention to detail is amazing!

Thanks bud! It has definitely been an adventure, and it's still not through...
Old 09-18-2017, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
+1

May as well give up and buy a ferd...

Spoiler alert, he got it running. The 3 miles he's put on the car have taken 3 months. Told him it would be slow

Now you know darn well the next one actually will be a ford. My wife has already blessed the next build (down the road!!) to be an early model
Mustang with an LS swap (probably turbo). The argument is that I want it to be a 70-73 Mustang Grande, whereas she want it to be 64-69... She doesn't think 70-73 looks good. She wants the "cute" body style.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

69-70 Mustangs share same body, 71-73 are the large ones.
64-68 are the smallest.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by psychosid30
Now you know darn well the next one actually will be a ford. My wife has already blessed the next build (down the road!!) to be an early model
Mustang with an LS swap (probably turbo). The argument is that I want it to be a 70-73 Mustang Grande, whereas she want it to be 64-69... She doesn't think 70-73 looks good. She wants the "cute" body style.
News flash, no one but you wants a 70-73 Mustang Grande, because your wife is right.

Truth hurts, but remember your purple Mustang?

So, to keep this somewhat on track, what are the next steps?
Old 09-18-2017, 02:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
69-70 Mustangs share same body, 71-73 are the large ones.
64-68 are the smallest.

My bad! I meant 69-73 is what I like. 64-68 is what the wife likes... I forgot the change from the little ones was between 68-69, not 69-70...
Old 09-18-2017, 02:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,024 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Psychosid- Listen to your friends bro; '71-'73 Mustangs are BOATS! Avoid at all costs to prevent any social outcasting. You have been warned.
Old 09-18-2017, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by themealonwheels
News flash, no one but you wants a 70-73 Mustang Grande, because your wife is right.

Truth hurts, but remember your purple Mustang?

So, to keep this somewhat on track, what are the next steps?

Bite me.
Purple. Blue. They look the same to me...

Next steps...

Replace thermostat
Break-in motor
Finish Misc interior pieces
Paint
Powdercoat rims/bigger tires

I'm sure there are a couple of little things I've left off, but, it'll get done!
Old 09-18-2017, 02:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Psychosid- Listen to your friends bro; '71-'73 Mustangs are BOATS! Avoid at all costs to prevent any social outcasting. You have been warned.

I used to own a 73 Grande... I know most people don't like them, but, Black out all of the chrome and remove the vinyl top and I love them!

Plus, the engine bay is huge. I could go turbo and have absolutely NO issues with fitment and room to cool everything...
Old 09-18-2017, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Plus, the engine bay is huge.
You got me at this one....
Old 09-18-2017, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
You got me at this one....
No, he doesn't. By that logic, and with as much "fabrication" as he's willing to do, he might as well buy a Winnebago and put four, functioning 5.3s in it "because it's huge!"

Basically, he must be stopped... between my Hombre, my 57 wagon, David's '67 Scout and all the junk my father in law brings in there, we don't need his big ol' Ferd taking up space.

On your to-do list:
Replace thermostat - have you bought it yet? What temp are you going with?
Break in motor - how do you intend to do that? Laps around the yard? DD it to work for a month?
Finish misc interior pieces - How so? I saw your interior sitting around your garage. What does that include?
Paint - when and where? Are you ready if "paint season" strikes next week?
Powder coat rims/bigger tires - work on our large powder oven and this may be doable!

Now get back to that short list of things to do, Sid! Then go fix your other cars. If you can show me a dash in a car you own without a warning light on in the next week, I'll buy you a Coke
Old 09-18-2017, 04:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Good point! I must be getting soft... lol
Old 10-07-2017, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm all caught up now... It was nice meeting you and chatting today Sid. Also, thank you Loren for the lights. Gotta get 'em in once Nate blows on through!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TimE
I'm all caught up now... It was nice meeting you and chatting today Sid. Also, thank you Loren for the lights. Gotta get 'em in once Nate blows on through!
Hey, glad we could help each other out! Now we just have to bug Sid to update his thread, since I'm pretty sure he made progress! He had to have... he was on the lift in my way all weekend!

Attached Thumbnails It may be "Just Another LS3 416 Stroker Build", but, it's MY LS3 416 Stroker Build!-20171014_140621c.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 01:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

So... I get on here to update my thread and see that all of my pics have disappeared and www.storemypic.com is currently offline. Well. I guess that knocks out adding some pics right now, so, I'll just wing it.

I've been doing a lot more around the house, so, the final stages of this build slowed down quite a bit...

After replacing the thermostat, we decided to close the hood and get some miles on the car. The car had other thoughts... The SS hood will not close the final 1 1/2" due to the FTP 104mm lid. I thought it may have been because of the slight lifting I had to do to make my inexpensive aftermarket radiator fit. So, I pulled it all out and replaced it with Loren's BeCool radiator that he no longer has a use for. Well, still wouldn't close.

Luckily for me there was a perfectly good 2002 roller with an Ultra Z hood on it right outside the shop. We pulled it off just to check if it had the clearance I needed. Fit's like a glove!! Now I have a Trufiber SS hood that is going up for sale.

I took a ride down the road and noticed smoke coming out the back. Bad. I turned it around and rushed back to the shop to find transmission fluid shooting out of the test port, where the temp sensor was located. Somehow the probe broke off inside the port and the pressure blew out the plug with the wires attached. It took about 4 hours to clean up the mess.

I ordered a replacement from GlowShift, which came in with the probe twice the length of the original. So, obviously it did not fit the port. After some thought, I decided to order a new transmission pan and just relocate the sensor there. Anyone every try this? Well, I found out the hard way that there is only one good location on the trans pan that the sensor will fit properly without hitting the crap inside!

By the way, that is towards the back passenger side...

So, one wasted trans pan later and that issue is resolved.

I also took this opportunity to add in a coolant temperature gauge. Luckily, that went off without a hitch.

Lastly, I finally drove the car from the shop to my house. It is no longer in the way of Loren completing his project. I did run into another issue with that danged line inside my fuel bucket though. Mainly that I had forgot all about using some old line we had laying around (that was NOT SAE J30R10 rated). It made it home and pretty much blew off as I pulled in the driveway. I have the parts to go another direction with it on the way. Once I know it will work I'll post it...

Sid
Old 10-17-2017, 01:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just host the pics here on LS1tech. That's the best way to future-proof them from dead links.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Don't you just hate it when people have this kind of thread, where they show they're making progress, then they just let it die? Maybe in their father-in-law's yard for some silly reason like "I can't drive it without a hood!"?

Old 03-05-2018, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since Sid won't wrap this up... the car runs and drives. He's breaking it in, needs paint and some clean up tuning. I'll probably bring my laptop by next weekend to modify the trans tune, it locks up way too early. I'll see if I can shame him into getting in here for an update.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default 5MAR18 Update

Ok, Ok...

Sorry guys, it's been a while. Life caught up to me and all the stuff I'd been neglecting to work on the car finally came to a head. I had to put the car on the back-burner for a while and play catch-up with everything else.

I ordered an Ultra-Z hood only to find out I had to wait 5 weeks for them to send it out because they were moving their office to Texas. It then took 2 attempts to delivery it without damage. It is now on and everything fits like a glove.

As for the tuning, like Loren said - we have to adjust the shift points and definitely need to log some runs and tweak the fuel tables. I'm definitely running rich right now. As for power... I'm definitely in need of wider tires. Hitting it at 50 will blow the tires off the road with no effort what so ever. 275s will not cut it. I have some wider rims to go on the car as soon as they are sand-blasted and powder-coated.

I also still need to finish up a couple of minor items in the interior, the biggest being to buy and install the dash pad. Then I will finish painting it. I need to prime the hood and exterior of the back hatch. The guy who painted the replacement panels for my wife's Jeep Compass (yes, she wrecked it, another thing I've been dealing with...) has offered to let me use his booth for a weekend when I'm ready to shoot it.

Once things settle down and we get the bugs worked out of the car, I will definitely be getting it dynode and will post the results. I will also post some more pics as I finish up the interior and paint the exterior.

Sid
Old 03-05-2018, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 99 Posts

.......I'm definitely in need of wider tires. Hitting it at 50 will blow the tires off the road with no effort what so ever. 275s will not cut it.......
Quite as it's kept, wider tires may not cut it but may not be needed, either. Sounds more likely to me that you just need stickier tires.

What tires are you running now and how old are they? THAT may be your problem right there.....running tires where the design or the rubber itself is just not up to task.

That said, if you plan to 'challenge' your tires on a regular basis, I would consider a set of drag radials.

KW
Old 03-05-2018, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

With only your door jams painted your car reminds me on this LT1 bird back in the day.
Also, Im loving your build with great work and detail.

Quick Reply: It may be "Just Another LS3 416 Stroker Build", but, it's MY LS3 416 Stroker Build!