Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

If you haven't tought much about the oil galley Barbell check this out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2017, 05:36 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

All of our products are in stock and ready for same day shipping.

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!
Old 03-28-2017, 10:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome product. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-29-2017, 01:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, bit the bullet and ordered the Barbell and Bypass plug.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Thank you badassbu & 07NBSChevy for your business and the kind words!

Christian

Old 04-12-2017, 07:09 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ordered a barbell yesterday !!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 1973 STEP A SIDE
Ordered a barbell yesterday !!
Thank you for your business! We will get it right out to you!

Christian

Old 04-15-2017, 01:53 AM
Staging Lane

I may be picking one up looks well thought out
Old 04-15-2017, 02:09 AM
Staging Lane

Just a thought why not drive something like a small freeze plug in the block and force all the oil to go threw the filter?

Or thread the block and put a plug in the port, thus again forcing oil threw the filter?
Old 04-16-2017, 03:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I gotta say, the barbell is well worth it. It is a precise fit compared to the stock plastic one.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:58 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by heykw
Just a thought why not drive something like a small freeze plug in the block and force all the oil to go threw the filter?

Or thread the block and put a plug in the port, thus again forcing oil threw the filter?

Hi heykw,

Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think threading for a threaded plug would be good because you would have to thread the entire hole and possibly drill the hole bigger for the tape size it would take. Pounding a freeze plug into the deepest part of the passage may not be good either because it won't be easy getting passed the oil passages with out the plug hanging up in them, plus you still have to plug the back where the O ring is also.
With our precision fit Barbell the oil that can get by is so minuscule and any particles that might get by would be the same or smaller micron then the filter lets through. So I don't see a reason to go through all that work and possible mess the block up.

Thank you,
Christian

Old 04-18-2017, 12:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
I gotta say, the barbell is well worth it. It is a precise fit compared to the stock plastic one.
Thank you 07NBSChevy for your business and the good word!

Christian

Old 04-28-2017, 01:45 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Our Billet Barbell oil diverters are now available for the new LT1 &LT4!

http://www.saccitycorvette.com/Billet-BarBell-LT1.html

Last edited by saccitycorvette; 04-28-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

If you look closely at the factory barbell you will see grooves in the piece, those are called "labyrinth'' seals ,as they see pressure from the oil they expand making a great seal. Yours is a quality piece but the GM engineers made a good piece also that is running in thousands of engines successfully. I just ordered your seal replacement tool and I'm really satisfied with it, for full tilt racing your barbell might be great but for near stock street builds I think the stock will suffice. regular oil changes are the key to any engine longevity.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Hi cookseyb.
Thanks for pointing that out and your input.
There are more elaborate labyrinth seals and they are generally on rotating shafts that do seal very well but the one on the GM barbell isn't one of them.
The labyrinth seal that GM incorporated into their barbell will cause a type of hydraulic lock to slow oil flow passing it but will still allow oil and particles to pass. The barbell doesn't expand.That's what I've learned in my research when developing our precision fit barbell. Just my opinion but whether in my race engine or my daily driver if I have the engine apart I would prefer our barbell for the more positive seal against particles entering the bearings. I would in no way recommend anyone take their engine apart to install our barbell, it wouldn't be worth it. But if its apart that's a different story.

Let me know if I'm missing something.

Thanks
Christian

Old 10-27-2017, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The factory one is made out of nylon, right? Doesn't that expand more than aluminum when heated? That would explain the extra clearance when cold as it likely fills up the whole gap at temp.

If you used a groove with an angle seat ramp for the second O-ring it would be easy to install with a smaller O.D. and then the first time oil pressure was seen it would push the o-ring up the ramp to completely seal of the passage way for the remaining life of the motor. No?
Old 10-29-2017, 05:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
The factory one is made out of nylon, right? Doesn't that expand more than aluminum when heated? That would explain the extra clearance when cold as it likely fills up the whole gap at temp.

If you used a groove with an angle seat ramp for the second O-ring it would be easy to install with a smaller O.D. and then the first time oil pressure was seen it would push the o-ring up the ramp to completely seal of the passage way for the remaining life of the motor. No?
Hi Crf450r420,
Not sure of the exact type of plastic that is used on the factory Barbell. If I recall nylon is only good for 380 or 390 degrees which wouldn't be high enough. We have tested the expansion of the plastic barbell first by boiling water and then with the heat gun where able to reach around 230 degrees. At that point it only expanded .00125" which is not enough to make the seal to keep unfiltered oil out.

That's a good idea on the O-ring. But if the oil can initially flow by, it my not build enough pressure to push the O-ring back and seat it. I'm not sure and it would have to be tested. Something to think about though.

Thank for your input and idea.
Christian

Old 10-29-2017, 09:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was just thinking it through, so if you tested it already that's awesome.

Yeah, it just needs to be small enough that it can install without damage. The volume of oil should be easy to get it to force the ring up the ramp to seal, might have to put some ports like a gas ported piston to help. Also, since it will happen on first startup there should be nothing in the pan to worry about the little that might get by for that short period.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Yes we did test the expansion just to make sure, like how you though that it might expand and seal. If it did we probably wouldn't have made our billet barbell.

As for your O-ring idea, it probably could be made to work, but it would be more expensive, not as reliable and really wouldn't be an improvement worth the cost. Its a good idea though if a O-ring was necessary.
Our barbell is a precision fit and very little oil can get by, and the tiny bit of oil/particles that did get by would be smaller than what the oil filter can catch anyway. Believe me there is more than meets the eye with our Billet Barbell. There was a lot of test on the stock barbell to see what it does and doesn't do and a lot of different prototype versions made before we got what we feel it the best functioning Barbell. Although keeping unfiltered oil out was the main objective we also improved oil flow with the smaller shaft.

Thanks again for you idea and input.
Christian

Old 10-30-2017, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by saccitycorvette
Yes we did test the expansion just to make sure, like how you though that it might expand and seal. If it did we probably wouldn't have made our billet barbell.

As for your O-ring idea, it probably could be made to work, but it would be more expensive, not as reliable and really wouldn't be an improvement worth the cost. Its a good idea though if a O-ring was necessary.
Our barbell is a precision fit and very little oil can get by, and the tiny bit of oil/particles that did get by would be smaller than what the oil filter can catch anyway. Believe me there is more than meets the eye with our Billet Barbell. There was a lot of test on the stock barbell to see what it does and doesn't do and a lot of different prototype versions made before we got what we feel it the best functioning Barbell. Although keeping unfiltered oil out was the main objective we also improved oil flow with the smaller shaft.

Thanks again for you idea and input.
Christian
Sounds good. I ordered the barbell and will be installing in my envoy Denali when I do the rear main seal. Nice quality piece along with the rear main seal tool I ordered about two weeks ago. I ordered the front cover tool a couple years ago that doesn't have the oring. I see the new design does
Old 11-14-2017, 02:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by warriorpluto
Sounds good. I ordered the barbell and will be installing in my envoy Denali when I do the rear main seal. Nice quality piece along with the rear main seal tool I ordered about two weeks ago. I ordered the front cover tool a couple years ago that doesn't have the oring. I see the new design does
Hi warriorpluto,
We appreciate your business and the good word!
We put the O rings to compensate for expansion/contraction of the engines and tools do to temperature changes.
I also have a Envoy Denali with the 5.3L. Nice ride!

Thank you,
Christian

Quick Reply: If you haven't tought much about the oil galley Barbell check this out!