Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

L92 camshaft reco for 2007 awd denali / escalade

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2016, 11:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L92 camshaft reco for 2007 awd denali / escalade

Building a 6.2 L92 motor for my 2007 Yukon Denali XL with 6L80 & AWD, 3.42 gears & 18 inch tires. Motor has forged MAHLE 10.2 pistons, H-beam rods and studded mains.

This is my do all vehicle. Wanted a VVT cam to give me more power and torque over the stock cam. (since I am buying a new cam - last one destroyed by bad lifter) - however, wanted to keep the vehicle driveable as a daily driver - of course concerned about part throttle and transmission lockup modes where the RPMs can get really low. Any experiance with this motor and its civility with a cam in the 215-218 duration range possibly offset by the size and high compression ? This vehicle is the long version of the denali - so it is a ground pounder weight wise.

Ive read cam grinders have been successful exploiting the VVT & using wide lobe spearation to get back some of the lost torque with a bigger grind/duration. This is a VVT L92 and does not have AFM/DOD. Was also looking at adding either a procharger OR LSA supercharger ebay takeoff in the future.

Any thoughts about this camwise ?
Was looking at the two smallish VVT cams from COMP
the Livernois L92 1C cam and the MAST 196-202 "truck cam" - but concerned if these are even a little to large for DD.
I was planning to get this tuned

Please advise - thanks Rick

Last edited by ricardo.benin; 11-24-2016 at 11:33 PM. Reason: wordsmithing
Old 11-28-2016, 02:15 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Rick;

When it comes to driveability, we always strongly recommend our L92 1C camshaft over a stage 2 or a 2C. Our customers love the 1C and always comment to us that the cam gives them just the right about of idle "lopiness" without sacrificing smoothness, especially when their vehicle is equipped with a manual transmission. As you can imagine, having a lopey cam can be a bit challenging with a manual. With that in mind for a Yukon Denali you won't have any problems in the slightest.

The 1C would definitely work brilliantly for a daily driver, no need to worry. With you having VVT, you would need to make changes to the timing components including the front cover to eliminate VVT.

If you're also thinking of forced induction down the road, this camshaft would definitely help in setting up a strong foundation for more power in the future. We would strongly recommend though whether upgrading to a blower or not, while putting in a performance cam, upgrading the valve springs, we have a set available along with rocker arm braces for added stability and reliability.

We're here if you would like any information.

Quick Reply: L92 camshaft reco for 2007 awd denali / escalade