Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

DOD Delete and Cam Bearing Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016 | 08:58 PM
Launching!

Default DOD Delete and Cam Bearing Questions

Hey guys I have two quick questions. The first question is in regards to the DOD delete. I have a 5.3 out of a 2007 Yukon and I just got it back from the machine shop. I am going to do the DOD delete, and from searching on the interwebs I have seen people thread the holes circled in red (see pic below) and put bolts in the holes to block the oil passage. What are peoples thoughts on doing that, and is it necessary? I am using a LS3 valley cover, and while the block is bare I would like tap the holes now so I can get any metal shaving out before assembly.

My second questions is regarding the cam bearings. I had the machine shop hot tank the block, hone the cylinders, and put in new cam bearings. Once I got the block home I notice that the edges of the bearings look rough and somewhat cut. Is that what new cam bearings are supposed to look like?

I appreciate your guys help, and input.
Save
Old 12-11-2016 | 02:49 PM
Launching!

Anyone have any thought or experience on plugging the oil holes? It looks like the gaskets on the bottoms of the LS3 valley cover should "plug" the passages somewhat.
Old 12-12-2016 | 07:45 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

For peace of mind you could tap and put in some plugs. I wish I had done mine while it was out. The gaskets on the valley plate do seal the holes so you have oil pressure so it is not "really" necessary.
Old 12-12-2016 | 08:04 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dw456post
For peace of mind you could tap and put in some plugs. I wish I had done mine while it was out. The gaskets on the valley plate do seal the holes so you have oil pressure so it is not "really" necessary.
Thats what I was thinking as well. I may get some Allen bolts and put them in for piece of mind.

Quick Reply: DOD Delete and Cam Bearing Questions