Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

TSP Stage 4 LS3 235/248 .649"/.615" Camshaft

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:59 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by NEstyle
Checking (see post 15).
So you actually have more clearance with the real springs due to deflection. My old engine was tight too when I measured with checking springs, but clearance grew with the dual springs.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Ottawa Ontario, Canada - where arguing "DA" is for the slow and weak...
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
That IS my opinion. Trust but verify. Vendor says it fits. great. I'm still measuring, and if I'm convinced the cam is what I want, then I'm flycutting if the clearance isn't there. That's no different than degreeing a cam when you install it to verify the ICL. But i'm not going to flame a vendor for something like this. I'll flame them if it's ground wrong and they don't make it right, but I've never had something like that happen with any of the ls1tech vendors.

BTW - it can't truly be a drop in cam - the lift is too high for stock springs. That alone should warn you it's not drop in...
Further to this point. If you assume anything it is your fault. There is nothing that excludes other influencing variables that contribute to potential interference and failure:

Is the crank ground correctly?
Is the timing set accurate (loose/tight)?
Stable valve events (possible lofting and float)?
Are your trunnions going to eat themselves in 5000 miles?
Did you use skinny budget pushrods (that are going to flex and bend)?
and on and on...

The fact remains that the onus is on YOU, not some vendor, to do YOUR due diligence when building YOUR engine.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:31 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by chevyss2008
That's your opinion...There are some out there that take it literally when a vendor promotes a product that is a "drop in" and insinuates no other mods need be done to accommodate its fitting
Help me out here, where did TSP say it's a "drop in" cam?
Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCS
Help me out here, where did TSP say it's a "drop in" cam?

See post 19
Old 05-19-2017, 12:42 PM
KCS

See post 19
Gotcha, didn't see that. I was looking at the actual link and it surely doesn't say it there.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:53 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

See post 19
They said "drop in", but they were referring to PTV, not valve springs. Of course you have to change valve springs, and I'm sure they would not recommend running this cam with stock valve springs. That would just be silly. Why anyone would even think that "drop in" means cam only with no springs is beyond me!
Old 05-19-2017, 01:07 PM
Launching!

maybe if you had read the other post you would know why
Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by NEstyle
They said "drop in", but they were referring to PTV, not valve springs. Of course you have to change valve springs, and I'm sure they would not recommend running this cam with stock valve springs. That would just be silly. Why anyone would even think that "drop in" means cam only with no springs is beyond me!
I think that's his point. Some people have no common sense and will take a comment like that too literal. Those people probably shouldn't be modding their own cars anyways IMO.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:37 PM
Launching!

Finally, someone gets the point of what I was saying...
Old 05-19-2017, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Calling an engine an LS3 does NOT imply it is bone stock. They are stating to check
PTV clearance because it needs to be checked, because of POTENTIAL clearance issues.
Assuming a baseline is a bone stock engine is your error. In a performance part install, assume nothing! You are changing conditions and/or characteristics of an engine, stock or not. As Darth says, "Be prepared to mod your car in order to mod your car."
That is baloney. I have a bone stock brand new crate engine sitting here. Will the cam fit as far as PTV or not? Simple question.

Any cam manufacturer should be able to tell you this. They have to be using something as a baseline dimension for design and manufacturing. They all use the cam cam bearing sizes as a baseline don't they? You do not see a disclaimer on every cam telling you to check cam bearing siz before installation do you?
Old 05-20-2017, 10:00 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by joyridin'
That is baloney. I have a bone stock brand new crate engine sitting here. Will the cam fit as far as PTV or not? Simple question.

Any cam manufacturer should be able to tell you this. They have to be using something as a baseline dimension for design and manufacturing. They all use the cam cam bearing sizes as a baseline don't they? You do not see a disclaimer on every cam telling you to check cam bearing siz before installation do you?
I don't care if they DO tell me that it'll fit. I'd still measure. I think one is foolish not to. Now a 227/235 cam? Sure it'll go right in. Something with ten more degrees of duration???? Yeah I'm measuring.

Do I understand that's the difference between pulling the heads and not pulling them? Yes. It's also the difference between hoping you're ok and knowing you're ok. Especially if you plan to abuse the motor.

Also, at 0.035" clearance, I'd still flycut. The rods stretch at high rpm approx 030 iirc.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:47 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

This has turned into a ******* stupid thread.

Locking it.

Quick Reply: TSP Stage 4 LS3 235/248 .649"/.615" Camshaft