Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS3 headed LS2 stroker getting upgrades - Solid Roller Input

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2017, 04:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 106 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by spanks13
The cam specs we're talking are 5* short on intake and duration if converting to a solid roller, right? Or are we talking final numbers for a LLSR?
Yes, our typical LS Low Lash solid roller will have .010" hot lash. On those cams, you can figure adding about 5 degrees or so to the duration to get the LLR numbers.

One thing I'm curious about as E/I ratio seems to be the latest metric everyone is looking at for spec'ing cams (at least on this site I mean nothing is really new) - these values are super easily skewed by using a pipe on the exhaust port or not. An exhaust pipe can increase exhaust flow values by a huge margin on a flow bench. Which are appropriate to use?
I try to consider the whole intake tract when choosing my intake valve events. Runner length, cross sectional area, valve size, their relationship to the engine's displacement and intended RPM range all play a part. Similar for the exhaust. For the exhaust, you have to consider the volume of spent exhaust gasses that you have to pump out. The more power you make, the earlier you have to open the exhaust valve to minimize pumping losses. You also have to consider the RPM range. The higher the RPM, the less time you have to get the spent gasses out. All these things are factors.

The Switch Is On To Cam Motion!
40 years of Championship Winning Experience • Superior 8620 Steel Camshaft Cores • Quiet, Smooth & Powerful Lobe Design • Virtually Unlimited Lift and Duration Combinations • Finish Polished For Quiet Operation • Cam Doctor Printout With All Cams
The Industry's Best Customer Service

www.CamMotion.com ☎ 225-926-6110Like Us On Facebook!
Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Very interested on your results
Old 12-15-2017, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 469 Likes on 302 Posts

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
Very interested on your results
Me too! Lol.

I’m still waiting on my heads, but I haven’t been too worried since I’ve been daily driving this thing for the past 4 months while my beater was getting a new engine and I don’t currently have garage space to store my car when it’s torn down.

Current plans have shifted to a hydraulic roller. I couldn’t stomach the valvetrain cost - especially with the haymakers requiring unique rocker stands. I’d have to order custom.

Might go solid down the road as an incremental upgrade.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

Me too! Lol.

I’m still waiting on my heads, but I haven’t been too worried since I’ve been daily driving this thing for the past 4 months while my beater was getting a new engine and I don’t currently have garage space to store my car when it’s torn down.

Current plans have shifted to a hydraulic roller. I couldn’t stomach the valvetrain cost - especially with the haymakers requiring unique rocker stands. I’d have to order custom.

Might go solid down the road as an incremental upgrade.
Below 7000 rpm i think id save the money and do a hyd. myself
Old 12-16-2017, 02:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I went solid roller back in 2007..... Now I've finally purchased the right heads for my 408 application and can't wait to see how my car is going to respond. I absolutely need to tune it and I'm new to the tuning game. Anyone on this thread who can help? My set up is pretty radical.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Spanks13
Just checking in for a progress report. Do you have your Heads,
what cam specs have you landed on? Inquiring minds want to
know. LOL, My car goes to the Dyno this Friday.
Dan
(also)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
Spanks13
Just checking in for a progress report. Do you have your Heads,
what cam specs have you landed on? Inquiring minds want to
know. LOL, My car goes to the Dyno this Friday.
Dan
(also)
Hi also Dan haha.

No joke my heads just shipped. Been a long wait! Don’t have anything bad to say about SPS though I am happy with my experience. I’ll post up some pictures and flow numbers when I get them. What he’s sent me look gorgeous.

Excited to see your dyno sheet! This is the old engine with the chassis upgrades? Btw my ring and pinion is also treated by Weddle

I’m toying with the thought of selling my current engine intake to pan turn key and start with an ls3 block. At the least I’d want to hone and ring my engine when the heads are off. Worst case I’d need pistons and go bigger bore. I think for the money I’d spend I can build a new engine and come out as a wash.

I would build a 4.065 x 3.900 combo that works out to 406 cubes.

Cam specs if I go all out will be 243/251 on 110+3 hydraulic roller. Solid roller wasn’t in the cards, at least not now. Spending too much as it is. There also isn’t an OTS solution for adjustable shaft rockers for the SPS heads yet. I’m sure T&D would build me something, but I gotta draw the line sometime. I’d rather get a ms3pro controller so I might actually have a chance of controlling that giant cam.

I ran my car last Sunday and got booted for no roll bar. I’m thrilled with the lap I made. 3300 foot DA and no tail wind, 1.76 sixty with 200tw Bridgestone RE71R tires. I left as soft as possible and rode the hell out of the clutch to get it out of the hole. Monster lt1-s clutch didn’t seem to mind it at all.

I feel really satisfied with my combo and feel this is a good baseline run to compare against in the future. Last time out it didn’t run well in 4th I think it lost combustion stability. I had just replaced my entire driveline clutch to diff and lost 7mph on the big end I was pretty sick. This time out I ran a can of octane boost and the engine was very happy.

Old 02-10-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

Daniel,
That's serious speed for a RX7, I like the 406" plan but
I'm sure the H,C,I added to your existing engine would go
10s @ 133+. But if you can sell your current engine
For a good price why not.

My Dyno Appointment is with my 396" Engine installed, been waiting in my
garage already for several weeks LOL. I Dynoed my SBE engine
With the Driveline upgrades, will post results, somewhat
Disappointed the corrected RWHP +5.5, raw Uncorrected +10,
Bigger correction the fist time (better DA for Post mods)
New numbers hopefully Friday.
Dan
Old 02-10-2018, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The car is very fast and still handles great as it sits. It is downright scary on a canyon road. It surprises a lot of people. The car doesn’t need more power, and the engine doesn’t need a rebuild. I question myself sometimes actually about taking it apart lol.

The stroke change isn’t the motivation for the rebuild, but if I do build another short block I think it has lots of merits for a street car.

Thats surprising about your efficiency mods. I think most expected a little more. I think in real world conditions it’ll have more benefit.

Quick Reply: LS3 headed LS2 stroker getting upgrades - Solid Roller Input