Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

07 L92 Very very low oil pressure after pump and lifter change

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 L92 Very very low oil pressure after pump and lifter change

Hello I am new to the forum but have been a lurker and learner for a long time! I hope someone can help me here because I am stumped!

I am working on my 07 Escalade with the NON AFM/DOD but does have VVT L92 engine. It had the infamous lifter tick at cold start and when the oil was hot it would tick some but NEVER had a oil pressure problem, the light had never came on saying low oil pressure. I did some research and a TSB stated that the lifters and oil pump were to blame for the clatter at start up. I took the heads off and pulled the lifters and put a new GM high volume oil pump in it. I did not change anything else, just the pump and lifters. New gasket set and new head bolts and new harmonic balancer bolt and reassembled the engine. Started it up and it clattered while the lifters pumped up but then a quite engine, running perfect. After about 5 minutes the low oil pressure light came on. Shut the engine off and connected a mechanical gauge, at idle had about 10 pounds and at 2000 had 20 pounds of oil pressure. The longer it ran it dropped a little more but still a quite engine no clattering or knocking. I dropped the pan checked the pump it was fine but went ahead and put a Melling 10355 high volume pump in it, put it back together and started it up. Cold the engine was like new with no clatter and no noises but only 6 pounds of oil pressure at the idle. The only other thing replaced are the lifters. Can lifters cause low oil pressure??

I have read many many posts and people talk about cam bearings but I cant think I caused any bearing problem in 5 minutes of on and off running. The pressure was low from the initial start up with the first new oil pump.

Any suggestions, do in need to replace the lifters or am I throwing good money after bad doing that. They were geniune gm roller lifers, the same part number as my original lifters.

Please HELP me I am beating my head against the wall!

Thanks to all that read this.
Old 04-07-2017, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I forgot to mention, the oring around the pick up is perfect, new oil filter as well. Just dont know what direction to go now.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:27 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi,
Sorry your having an issue. What weight oil?
Thanks
Christian

If you like our products, tell others! If not, tell us!

Quick Reply: 07 L92 Very very low oil pressure after pump and lifter change