Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Ly6 6.0 cam swap lifter tool

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2017 | 04:08 PM
Teching In

Default Ly6 6.0 cam swap lifter tool

Hello all I'm new home mechanic. Figures I'd take an engine swap for one of my first big build. Anyway, I'm having trouble with placing my lifter tool in the passenger side of the compartment. For some reason the driver side slides in no problem but the passenger side will get stuck. I have turned the cam and had a buddy push the rod as the cam turned but still no luck. I was hoping someone had the same problem and had a solution to my problem before I take off the headers.
Old 07-25-2017 | 05:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sapper12
Hello all I'm new home mechanic. Figures I'd take an engine swap for one of my first big build. Anyway, I'm having trouble with placing my lifter tool in the passenger side of the compartment. For some reason the driver side slides in no problem but the passenger side will get stuck. I have turned the cam and had a buddy push the rod as the cam turned but still no luck. I was hoping someone had the same problem and had a solution to my problem before I take off the headers.
If you're doing an engine swap, when you have the engine out turn it upside down and do the cam swap.
Old 07-26-2017 | 11:50 AM
8 Second Club

How I solved the same problem with my LS3 block.
Buy solid rod from hardware home depot store, rod must be smaller than the rod that comes with the tool, steel is OK. I think 5/16 is what I bought, not at my shop right now. Buy a roll of Velcro tape, tape the stiffer side to the length of the rod.
Insert and rotate the cam, the Velcro will hold the lifters just fine. I have done this 3 times testing cams in my race car. If doing this procedure several times like I did I suggest for cheap safety replace the Velcro each time because the engine oil will loosen the tape
Old 07-26-2017 | 01:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks I will try that. Very much appreciated.
Old 07-26-2017 | 03:36 PM
TECH Veteran

You said you're doing an engine swap and you're doing the cam swap in the car?? Why take the risk of dropping a lifter when you don't have to?

Quick Reply: Ly6 6.0 cam swap lifter tool