Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Is my block trashed?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 12:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is my block trashed?

I pulled the starter this weekend to put my flywheel holding tool on to do arp bolts etc. Well low and behold there is a crack near the starter bridge that runs from the CPS to the back cover. I was wondering if a machine shop could tig it up/repair it, or if I should even try that.

Last edited by 03Sssnake; 08-07-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:30 PM
Teching In

My block was welded in that location. This happened before I owned the car. I changed my starter out and in the process discovered the weld. Whether this was done with the engine out or not, I don't know. The car is bone stock so I'm going to assume it was done with the engine in. So, it's possible.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TTops
My block was welded in that location. This happened before I owned the car. I changed my starter out and in the process discovered the weld. Whether this was done with the engine out or not, I don't know. The car is bone stock so I'm going to assume it was done with the engine in. So, it's possible.
Thank you for the info. I think that CPS sensor bung probably arrested the crack from going further. I am guessing it could be done in the car, but probably best to pull it have a machine shop check it over.
Old 08-07-2017, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That is an odd place for the block to crack. I wonder what could have caused that? I wonder if its clutch or crank related?
Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a new crack too. It is still clean inside the crack. It hasn't been there long.
Old 08-08-2017, 06:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Nearly impossible to get aluminum clean enough to weld on the vehicle plus the crack will need to be stop drilled and groved. It will most likely need to be preheated also. I would pull the engine to fix-evaluate then you can repair or replace based on your findings.. But that is just me.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 07NBSChevy
That is an odd place for the block to crack. I wonder what could have caused that? I wonder if its clutch or crank related?
Well funny you mention that. This car is a weekend toy and I broke a DS a while back, DS took out the tailhousing of the T56 and bellhousing cracked too. I thought the damage was limited to that and had already replaced the tailhousing and bellhousing. FWIW the motor has no problem starting. For now I am just going to put a used shortblock in the car and build something better down the road.
Old 08-08-2017, 10:34 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Sssnake
Well funny you mention that. This car is a weekend toy and I broke a DS a while back, DS took out the tailhousing of the T56 and bellhousing cracked too. I thought the damage was limited to that and had already replaced the tailhousing and bellhousing. FWIW the motor has no problem starting. For now I am just going to put a used shortblock in the car and build something better down the road.
lol I did something similar when I broke ten bolt. Twisted the DS and yoke and effed the tailshaft and housing. Thankfully none of it made it to the motor. I think the rear took the brunt of it
Old 08-08-2017, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I've seen a lot of high output aluminum motors repaired, they really need to be dismantled, cleaned, the crack or hole "windowed" and a slug welded in if the hole is big enough, a crack would normally get a mill job and then weld the groove shut.
The ones I've seen done were done on a CNC mill and were hard to get blocks...
Old 08-09-2017, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

Is that an LS1? I'm assuming so with the black CKP. If so why worry about it? Start a new build with a good block and stop side stepping the clutch at 5k for the time being.
Old 08-09-2017, 10:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 64post
Is that an LS1? I'm assuming so with the black CKP. If so why worry about it? Start a new build with a good block and stop side stepping the clutch at 5k for the time being.
yep I mistakenly put this in the wrong sub-forum. FWIW that happened at the top of third gear, thought a goddamn bomb went off under the car. The DS broke at both ends, looks like it might have failed at yoke first, but I am not 100%. At this point I am already looking for a shortblock. I thought of fixing it initially, but it's just not worth it. The car is a toy, so no hurry, may even go Gen IV.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 226 Likes on 179 Posts

yep I mistakenly put this in the wrong sub-forum. FWIW that happened at the top of third gear, thought a goddamn bomb went off under the car. The DS broke at both ends, looks like it might have failed at yoke first, but I am not 100%. At this point I am already looking for a shortblock. I thought of fixing it initially, but it's just not worth it. The car is a toy, so no hurry, may even go Gen IV.
It's time for a GEN4 build.
Old 08-10-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 64post
It's time for a GEN4 build.

My wife has already asked how much I plan on spending. My reply is I will do this on the cheap
Old 08-11-2017, 06:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife has already asked how much I plan on spending. My reply is I will do this on the cheap
Good answer.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
lol I did something similar when I broke ten bolt. Twisted the DS and yoke and effed the tailshaft and housing. Thankfully none of it made it to the motor. I think the rear took the brunt of it
Darth_V8r,
Didn't you RECENTLY find a crack in your block? I am thinking trhis post was before that. Best of luck to both of you.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you Jimbo1367 and to the rest of you fellas!
Old 08-13-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Darth_V8r,
Didn't you RECENTLY find a crack in your block? I am thinking trhis post was before that. Best of luck to both of you.
Yes, but I think i hydro'd a head bolt. I don't think it's from the damage I did to the driveline a while back.
Old 08-13-2017, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Isn't this the infamous starter-breakage problem?

starter breaks
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...ock-broke.html

Originally Posted by HotSilverBird
If you want to save the next engine use the truck starter with the two equal length bolts. It won't break off like the stock ls1 starter does. The problem is the ls1 starter is weak because of the way it mounts with one short bolt. If the engine gets tough to turn over for ANY reason the mount on the short side breaks off taking the block with it because the starter twists itself away from the engine. As it twists away from the fltwheel the longer bolt can't break off so it breaks the engine mount off with it as it moves with the starter.
The stronger truck starter can't break off like this bevause the inboard mount is stronger using the longer bolt.

Actually GM should have updated this but never did!

You can find the updated starter : http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-S...Q5fAccessories

read carefully it doesn't include the longer bolt, this will stop the broken block problem.

This one includes the longer bolt http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Start...item53e0021caf

All ls1 engines should use this stronger design but if you plan on doing ANY mods to the engine this should be your 1st one!

I read they offer a replacement bolt, a longer bolt for the starter to "fix" the issue also?
Could be for other LS blocks, just fwiw
Old 12-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Teching In

If anyone changes out their starter, opt for the truck starter. Fits directly on the LS1 and instead of having a long and short bolt like the stock starter, it has two long bolts. Supposedly helps to prevent things like this from happening, and costs the same.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

That ^^^^^and don't use a 1inch drive impact to run the bolts in. HEHEHEHEE

Quick Reply: Is my block trashed?