Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

370 Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 06:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh.... Holley EFI. Good choice.

*ER had one for me cheap but, I had $ tied up.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:32 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Bracket, GOOD Choice, the 58x TW has a 1/4* Spark Accuracy.

This is ALSO good for coil Dwell Control.

DO you have the 4.x version Firmware in YOUR Holley ECU ?

There are TWO concerns, coil compatibility AND UEGO damage with the newer wiring harness, the older ones work great. (vendor changed)

I am working on this with Dave at Water Thunder, we will "scope" the UEGO.

Doug Flynn is also copied.

Lance
Lance,

The ECU and harness will be the last two items I purchase to finalize this project. I will update the firmware to the latest and greatest before building an initial tune file. I have a close friend that is pretty fluent in the Holley software to get me in, probably deeper than I need to be, lol.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pantera EFI
Hi Bracket, GOOD Choice, the 58x TW has a 1/4* Spark Accuracy.

This is ALSO good for coil Dwell Control.

DO you have the 4.x version Firmware in YOUR Holley ECU ?

There are TWO concerns, coil compatibility AND UEGO damage with the newer wiring harness, the older ones work great. (vendor changed)

I am working on this with Dave at Water Thunder, we will "scope" the UEGO.

Doug Flynn is also copied.

Lance
Would love to know more here. I show a good amount of RFI since swapping to an LS2 harness that was purchased over the winter.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:13 AM
Staging Lane

So after a few weeks of playing life and working on the house, I slipped back to the garage and got a short block cobbled up. Ended up running x bearings on the mains to get the clearances I think I want. But hey, a very short short block is assembled. These engines turn very easily compared to all the old style stuff I have put together. Low tension rings FTW. I guess I am getting close to getting off my sack and calling Martin. I’m gonna need one of them “Hog ***” cams for this baby.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by BracketRacer82
Hello everyone. I thought I would share my build thread as it progresses over the next several months. I have a goal to be running in the spring as time and money allows.

I have decided to switch motor platforms in my G body drag car. I have been running a Pontiac for years but am changing over to the LS world. It seems to be a good way for me to maybe make a little more power, loose some weight, and be able to get parts in days not months.

Motor details are as follows:

Iron 6.0 bored to 4.030 and honed with deck plates
New GM crank 3.622
K1 rods
Weisco 12cc dome pistons
TSP CNC LS3 heads with stainless hollow stem valves 64 cc
Hoping to be around 13.5:1 compression
E85
Cam and valve train will be Spec'd by Martin Smallwood as I start assembling engine and fine tune some specs
CID intake
Holley EFI
vacuum pump
1 7/8 4th gen speed engineering headers modified slightly to fit a g body
3" exhaust with x pipe and magnaflow mufflers dumped at the rear axle.

3300 lbs
Th400 with a brake
PTC converter spec'd appropriately
4.56 gear
275 Pro Radial
Should be right around 3250 race weight

So what does everyone think this should run ET wise? I have some goals but will keep them to myself until after we make a few hits and iron it out. I have no problem spinning this thing 8k plus. It's not my work car so if it breaks, it goes in the trailer until I get around to fixing it.
Well I run 10.90 . 1500da. But I'm on 12/1 prc 237 cathedral ports and VP 110 shifting around 6900. Similar build.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

FYI it runs 10.005 on 150 shot.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:44 AM
Staging Lane

Don’t take what I am about to say the wrong way as it reflects my personal goals based on what I have already done and where I want to go. The motor we built last winter is what opened my eyes to the LS platform as it was the first time I really dug my teeth into one of them and it consisted of the following:

stock rods, stock pistons, stock crank 5.3 that might be 10.1 with 243 heads that I cleaned up (hand lapped good valves in), MS3 cam, ls7 lifters, and with a stock intake that we put together has already been 7.05 at the 1/8th in the summer at 32xx lbs in a 4th gen with a glide NA. At this point it probably has 150 runs on it as it is bracket raced on a normal basis. We really think we might be able to sneak a 10.9x out of it in the next month as we may have found a little ET. I have been impressed with its performance and reliability so far.

If the motor I am building now isn’t much better than that, keep the classifieds open cause I will be having a fire sale and going back Pontiac, lol.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

You have a pretty good setup. I was racing with a 408 4gen car he was 7.0 with afr heads. I was a 6.90 370. His car was a little heavier.
My old 5.3 with 799 CNC heads would only go 11.8 3200lbs. Ms3 cam.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 PM
Staging Lane

Martin got me hooked up today and the cam is on the way. Looks to be mid 240s intake, mid 250s exhaust and under .630 on both. I hope this one is a screamer!
Old 11-02-2017, 11:26 PM
Staging Lane

More parts arrived, the work continues. I did manage to get my vacuum pump bracket modified and dummied up. Think it will work good there.
Old 11-03-2017, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

I think potential is for 9.8 in the 1/4, maybe 9.6.
Spinning 8K+ RPM with HR?
Exhaust Split more or less than 12*?
Old 11-03-2017, 02:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NAVYBLUE210
I think potential is for 9.8 in the 1/4, maybe 9.6.
Spinning 8K+ RPM with HR?
Exhaust Split more or less than 12*?
Split is 12 degrees. 9.8x would make me really happy. I think that may be optimistic though. I was told I will probably be shifting in the 7500 or so range. We shall see...
Old 12-17-2017, 11:43 AM
Staging Lane

Getting a little more done finally. Did get the cam degreed in, lifters arrived, and will finalize a couple other items this week. All I need now is a pair of head gaskets and valve springs to have a fairly complete long block. I like it when they are only off .5 degrees on the first try.
Old 12-17-2017, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love the build. Nice simple combo that should make great power.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:20 AM
Staging Lane

Had to throw the thrust plate in the mill to get the cam endplay set. It’s now .002.
Ported and shimmed oil pump on and aligned.
No plastic trays.
Had to slightly massage the oil pump to clear the chain. It does have the spacers but was closer than I liked so it got touched with the die grinder.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Just a thought, but you may want to have the hardness of your cam retainer plate checked after machining. It may only be "case hardened" to a shallow depth and machining will remove the hard layer and leave you with a softer base material exposed. This might lead to galling and wear from the cam gear.

Maybe not, but if someone else knows if the cam retainer plate is heat treated all the way through that would be helpful.

I have an old plate I can machine and check the hardness on if you'd like.

Cole
Old 12-22-2017, 12:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ColeGTO
Just a thought, but you may want to have the hardness of your cam retainer plate checked after machining. It may only be "case hardened" to a shallow depth and machining will remove the hard layer and leave you with a softer base material exposed. This might lead to galling and wear from the cam gear.

Maybe not, but if someone else knows if the cam retainer plate is heat treated all the way through that would be helpful.

I have an old plate I can machine and check the hardness on if you'd like.

Cole
That would be interesting to know Cole. I skimmed about .006 off this plate. The cam gear I am using had a Torrington bearing on the back of it which in my mind, eases the concerns about plate wear.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:17 AM
Staging Lane

Well, we are getting a little closer. Got my valve springs, shimmed them up where they needed to be, and installed heads. The numbers on the heads are before shimming. It looks like we will be testing this motor soon, just not in my car. Because of that, we will be using a less than ideal intake but we can get a general idea of what it’s gonna go.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BracketRacer82
Don’t take what I am about to say the wrong way as it reflects my personal goals based on what I have already done and where I want to go. The motor we built last winter is what opened my eyes to the LS platform as it was the first time I really dug my teeth into one of them and it consisted of the following:

stock rods, stock pistons, stock crank 5.3 that might be 10.1 with 243 heads that I cleaned up (hand lapped good valves in), MS3 cam, ls7 lifters, and with a stock intake that we put together has already been 7.05 at the 1/8th in the summer at 32xx lbs in a 4th gen with a glide NA. At this point it probably has 150 runs on it as it is bracket raced on a normal basis. We really think we might be able to sneak a 10.9x out of it in the next month as we may have found a little ET. I have been impressed with its performance and reliability so far.

If the motor I am building now isn’t much better than that, keep the classifieds open cause I will be having a fire sale and going back Pontiac, lol.

Sorry to thread hijack, but can you tell me more about the 5.3 combination? Like, what rear gear were you running, what converter, what shift points? Stock 5.3 truck intake?

The reason I ask is I'm going to be running a glide in my 98 this year and I never see anyone else running a glide behind these.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to muck up your thread.

Thanks.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Got front and rear cover on. Pushrods are checked for length and on the way, hope to have them Saturday. Due to financial constraints it looks like me may shove a microsquirt on this thing to get it fired and running now in my own car. We will start out with a super victor and see what happens. I also got my new f body oil pan that I will be moving the pick up to the rear of and adding my own trap door and anti climb baffle to. I hope to do wheelies so we gotta keep the oil where it belongs.

Quick Reply: 370 Build