Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Yep I messed up HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yep I messed up HELP

So I am new to ls engines so bare with me. I am building the l92 in my denali. I finally decided I wanted to keep the vvt and go with comp cam xfi spr series cam. Me being nieve didn’t understand the cam phasing side of it and where that limiting block would go. So I figured what the heck, I went out and starting tearing into the thing. Well as you guys may know and I didn’t at the time there is a wound coil in there and I pulled all the torq bolts out and spring goes the spring. I should’ve did my research before tearing it apart but I didn’t. Does anyone know the complete disassembly of it and how to get the spring back to where it needs to be. I prefer to keep the vvt. I know many will recommend I just delete but I don’t want to go that route. I need the power curve thoughout the powerband since I do tow and such every now and again. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this for me since I have realized how much of a dumbass I was. (To put it bluntly)
Old 11-23-2017, 07:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I seriously doubt you are the first to do this; try googling "VVT phaser assembly" and see if that helps. Google has been very good to me when I need a real dumbass (my usual mode) question answered.
Old 11-23-2017, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Well unfortunately I have came up with nothing. I looked before posting and once again just now. As it turns out a lot of car manufacturers have went to cam phasing and all I am getting is how to install the block limiter correctly and how cam phasing works. Nothing on r&r of the phaser itself. May just end up having to buy a new phaser. Hopefully that’s not the case though.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you get more specific, like "How to reassemble a GM LS engine cam phaser"?
Old 11-23-2017, 09:15 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,364 Likes on 2,082 Posts

Check out this thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vvt-cam-3.html

There are several threads in the conversions section regarding this. I needed the info back when I was building my VVT engine. Looks like photobucket might have took a dump on the pictures, but there’s still useful info over there.
Old 11-23-2017, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Che70velle
Check out this thread...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vvt-cam-3.html

There are several threads in the conversions section regarding this. I needed the info back when I was building my VVT engine. Looks like photobucket might have took a dump on the pictures, but there’s still useful info over there.
Wow thank you. Some of that stuff gives me a headache. Lmao there is endless amounts of information there and I don’t think I’m going to use this phaser I took apart. Too much risk in an engine I will have a lot of money invested in. As long as the phaser and cam match I should be fine. I will check ptv clearance just to be sure. I’m not sure if many of you have dug into the vvt side of these things but it’s definitely something to wrap your head around. It’s midnight now and it’s been a long day. I am going to get back at it in the morning. Once again thank you for the information. It was very helpful.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Phaser Spring Loading Tool

Hi Moto, When I sell "limiters" used inside the VVT Motor, I supply a Spring Winder.
I ONLY use the Phaser, the VVT Motor, to Advance the Camshaft at LOWER RPM.
The Stops are for Camshaft Retard Limit, then the timing chain set is positioned.

Lance
Old 11-29-2017, 02:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

I would just buy a new one and then do it again, now that you know what not to do you should be good.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I would just buy a new one and then do it again, now that you know what not to do you should be good.
Yea that’s what I am going to do. I’m not going to risk a 6k motor on a $100 phaser.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by motoking_1990
Yea that’s what I am going to do. I’m not going to risk a 6k motor on a $100 phaser.
That's what I was thinking, and why I basically (in fewer words) said screw it get a new one.

By the way this just popped up lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...er-spring.html
Old 11-29-2017, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
That's what I was thinking, and why I basically (in fewer words) said screw it get a new one.

By the way this just popped up lol

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...er-spring.html
At least I came out and said I’m an idiot and took mine apart. This guy claims he “dropped it” and somehow the thing disassembled itself from the 5 torqs bolts that hold it together. Lol From the way he put it he is going to try to get it back together because he can’t move any further and is willing to risk his motor over it and possibly make some piston to valve contact doing so. Hopefully he decides to to wait and buy new. If he gets it back together and it works that’s great he should definitely enlighten the rest of us on how to do it because I have searched high and low and have come to the conclusion gm has a top secret machine and it winds the spring ???? Amount of times to a certain amount of ft pounds and sandwiches it together all at the same time. And the mechanical engineer that designed the machine was one of the lucky ones who got to go live on mars with a high probability of never coming back to earth......it’s been a stressful day to say the least
Old 11-30-2017, 02:24 PM
TECH Veteran

At least I came out and said I’m an idiot and took mine apart. This guy claims he “dropped it” and somehow the thing disassembled itself from the 5 torqs bolts that hold it together. Lol From the way he put it he is going to try to get it back together because he can’t move any further and is willing to risk his motor over it and possibly make some piston to valve contact doing so. Hopefully he decides to to wait and buy new. If he gets it back together and it works that’s great he should definitely enlighten the rest of us on how to do it because I have searched high and low and have come to the conclusion gm has a top secret machine and it winds the spring ???? Amount of times to a certain amount of ft pounds and sandwiches it together all at the same time. And the mechanical engineer that designed the machine was one of the lucky ones who got to go live on mars with a high probability of never coming back to earth......it’s been a stressful day to say the least

LOL I hear ya.

I was most interested in this part of the thread though.

Originally Posted by KCS
According to Comp's instructions, you're screwed. You need to buy a new one.

http://www.compcams.com/instructions.../comp4-125.pdf
Old 04-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Teching In

Default Pre assembly

Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’m just going to use this one. Got block back, head seats installed, heads assembled with new springs valves the whole 9 yards, crank in rods pistons.....pretty much short block and heads are done. Got to checking pushrod lengths which are good. Installed checker springs to start checking ptv clearance. So to refresh my memory I went back to find out how to check it on a vvt motor. Then I ran acrossed the cam phasers that have to be pair with the certain limiter.

12585994 phaser uses 5456 limiter
12606358 phaser uses 5460 limiter

I ordered all the parts I needed cam, new phaser since I trashed the original, limiter and a bunch of other parts from TSP. I told them I needed the 5456 limiter since my original phaser was the 5994. Good thing I went back and ran across that thread again because they sent me the 6358 phaser and the 5456 limiter! Hopefully they will return it because that was before Christmas.

Now my next question is im using their vvt stage 3 truck cam and they changed the phaser mid year which phaser do I need? Or does it matter as long as the part numbers match?

Gonna try to upload some pictures for everyone. Everyone likes engine **** lol Morels
As you can see the phaser and limiter don’t match up. I should have double checked but totally forgot that mattered. Too excited about all the new parts.
TSP Cam
Rods

Rods assembled
Trunion upgrade! That was a no brainer

Short block assembled
Heads assembled

Last edited by motoking_1990; 04-11-2018 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

Oh ya....looking good!
Old 04-11-2018, 10:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 383z
Oh ya....looking good!
Took the words outta my mouth....
Old 04-12-2018, 09:07 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Didn’t want to start a new thread so I’m just going to use this one. Got block back, head seats installed, heads assembled with new springs valves the whole 9 yards, crank in rods pistons.....pretty much short block and heads are done. Got to checking pushrod lengths which are good. Installed checker springs to start checking ptv clearance. So to refresh my memory I went back to find out how to check it on a vvt motor. Then I ran acrossed the cam phasers that have to be pair with the certain limiter.

12585994 phaser uses 5456 limiter
12606358 phaser uses 5460 limiter

I ordered all the parts I needed cam, new phaser since I trashed the original, limiter and a bunch of other parts from TSP. I told them I needed the 5456 limiter since my original phaser was the 5994. Good thing I went back and ran across that thread again because they sent me the 6358 phaser and the 5456 limiter! Hopefully they will return it because that was before Christmas.

Now my next question is im using their vvt stage 3 truck cam and they changed the phaser mid year which phaser do I need? Or does it matter as long as the part numbers match?
Thats something you will need to discuss with TSP. There were two different cam cores for the two different phasers. Mixing them up will throw off the timing significantly.

http://www.compcams.com/Base/pdf/156...189%20core.pdf
Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Yea I was going to call them last night but they were closed at the time. So I thought I would run it by you guys. A big reason I started questioning wether I had the right phaser or not is because of that same thing you just showed me on the 156 and 186 style comp cams. But I’m not sure tsp has two different cams also. I’m going to call them here shortly or after work.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Isn’t tsp a sponsor here?
Old 04-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Talked to tsp 6358 phaser is the only phaser they sell which is the later phaser and their vvt cams are designed for that phaser only. They also said the 5456 limiter is the only one they sell and it is the one they want in the 6358 phaser even though comp recommends the 5460 in the 6358 phaser. He told me to disregard what comp says. I guess the 5456 limiter, limits more than the 5460.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Isn’t tsp a sponsor here?
Oh yeah....

Quick Reply: Yep I messed up HELP